My Firewood Operation

/ My Firewood Operation #31  
I was moving some wood around this morning in my firewood area and thought I'd post some pictures of my B7610. One of it's jobs is to skid in logs, stack them and then "hold" them when I section them for the splitter. Just one of its' many jobs around here. I modified my already very useful box blade to accept an 8,000 lb winch that is used to drag trees up to the paths and then I use it to skid them back to my firewood lot. I added a remote control unit to the winch and that makes it even more useful when working away from the tractor. down in the woods The little B7610 never ceases to amaze me.

Dave

View attachment 400528View attachment 400529

Hey Dave,
Your process sounds great...although I have a little difficulty envisioning it in operation...call me "slow". If you can, a video of the operation would really help the slow people like me in understanding the ingenuity of your idea. Just a thought.
John
PS: I'm originally from SW PA,

/ My Firewood Operation #32  
Very nice design. The box blade was a great resource for the work you are doing with a B-series.

Thinking of getting a pair of clamp on forks for the bucket. What are your thoughts on these with the B-series?
I have a B-7800. What weight capacity do you use and make? Thanks.

/ My Firewood Operation
Thanks for the kind words John. Unfortunately I don't have a video of it in use. Basically, I simply added an 8,000 lb electric truck winch to my box blade (via welding a standard receiver hitch to the blade, with reinforcing) to winch logs from locations in the woods not reachable by the tractor to where the tractor is. Then I just skid them home with the tractor. I've yet to run out of battery power, but I don't work it professionally either. It doesn't perform like a Farmi or similar logging winch, but like I said, since I'm not a professional logger it does everything I ask of it for thousands of dollars less. Hope that helps some. Sorry for no video.

jodebg, the clamp-on forks work just fine for me on my B7610. They may not work well for others depending on use and experience. I was judicious in selecting the ones I bought. I sized them to the capacity of the B7610 and place them at the strongest points of the bucket (i.e. aligned with the loader arms). I feel they are sized in accordance with the tractor, it's abilities and how I use it (which goes beyond simply lifting capacity and weight). As far as bending the bucket, forks and such, never had a problem with that. But I have a fair amount of tractor experience over my life (growing up on a farm and still small beef operation) so recognize I have a "feel" others may not have. Would I put these same clamp-on forks on one of the high horsepower tractors... No Way!! Would I put a several hundred pound log on these on my B7610 and tear off across a field bouncing and such... No Way!!

Sorry for the long reply. In short, I like the clamp-on forks for my intended use. :)

Hope this helps.

Dave

/ My Firewood Operation #34  
Thanks for the information.
Do you know the brand name on your set, and can you
tell me the rated load capacity that you selected?
This would be helpful when I go to select the appropriate set for
my b 7800. Thanks again.

/ My Firewood Operation #35  
Wow, that rear set up is fantastic! The front would not work well for me as it greatly reduces my lifting capacity and puts the pivot point too far forward. Nice job!

/ My Firewood Operation
Jodebg,

Winch attachment pictures;

I have no idea why the photos are upside down. Sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 237
   / My Firewood Operation #37  
Thanks for the photos Dave.

Photos must have been taken with your new drone!

Where is the chain mounted for dragging the logs?

/ My Firewood Operation #38  
That is a nice set-up, clean job on the receiver. I got out and sliced some logs this weekend while I had the luxury of someone to saw. made a big heap of wood. Now if I could just figure a way to get them in the splitter without a processor.
2014 logs.jpg

Attachments

• Log slicing.jpg
    Log slicing.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 179
   / My Firewood Operation #39  
Never seen a log clamp like yours... I can see where it would be a great labor saver.

/ My Firewood Operation
I love that loader attachment, Dave. That would be handy to say the least.

Dave