My Steering Wheel does not stay centered

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #21  
Steering wheel spinners seem to be a good addition to your steering capabilities until you hit a hole, stump, etc. when that knob comes spinning around by itself at about 500 mph, you may wish it wasn't there. Lots of knuckles and fingers have been broken by those handy devises. Good luck.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #22  
Mos

Most compact tractors now use "Non-Load-Sensing" hydrostatic steering systems. Auto Makers use "Load-Sensing" systems for over the road applications. Load Sensing systems adjust hydraulic pressure based on the load sensed from the front wheels, which is why you can let go of the steering wheel after completing a turn and the vehicle wheels return to center on their own. In "Non-Load-Sensing" systems, the operator adjusts the pressure in-balance by slight movements of the steering wheel. If you drive a "Non-Load-Sensing" system down a crowned road, you will naturally account for the pressure differential in the steering system by slightly turning the wheel against the crown. You can hardly notice you are doing it until the steering wheel is in a completely different place than you started.

Hope this helps,
To the best of my knowledge no highway vehicle (car or truck) uses a hydraulic steering system with no mechanical connection to the front wheels. The most common tractor steering has for many decades been a rotary valve (steering motor) to a hydraulic cylinder(s) which actually shove the wheels back and forth. It is not a mechanical linkage with power or electrical assist as a car or truck has.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #23  
My Mahindra 8560 has hyd steering too, I struggled with oncoming arthritis holding the wheel. Steering spinner helps to ease the discomfort of holding a big steering wheel.
I put a second spinner straight across from the first.
Now I can operate the controls while steering regardless of the wheel location.

FWIW,
Everything I drive has a spinner due to the onset of arthritis.
Hate to hear that your arthritis is bothering your hands that much. Mine doesn't bother unless I'm gripping something closely. I grew up being told to never get my thumbs inside the steering wheel so it wouldn't break them when the wheel kicked back and spun. With the advent of good power steering I seldom have more then my finger tips on the wheel I'm never grasping it and actually often when rapid movement is required am usually just pushing down with my palm and spinning the wheel around.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #24  
Auto Makers use "Load-Sensing" systems for over the road applications - which is why you can let go of the steering wheel after completing a turn and the vehicle wheels return to center on their own
With "center" based on the king pin geometry. Turning the wheels actually raises the vehicle, inducing the "load". The tendency then is to lower and center at the same time.
KPI-733371137.jpg

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #25  
Hate to hear that your arthritis is bothering your hands that much. Mine doesn't bother unless I'm gripping something closely. I grew up being told to never get my thumbs inside the steering wheel so it wouldn't break them when the wheel kicked back and spun. With the advent of good power steering I seldom have more then my finger tips on the wheel I'm never grasping it and actually often when rapid movement is required am usually just pushing down with my palm and spinning the wheel around.
Palming works for me, the gripping tight come into play when I'm doing things in precarious places. Like next to big drop off or nose down toward a pond.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #26  
Palming works for me, the gripping tight come into play when I'm doing things in precarious places. Like next to big drop off or nose down toward a pond.

Yikes. I’m very glad my property has no drop offs. That scares me terribly.

If I had those areas my hands would not be the only thing gripping tightly!!

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #27  
Yikes. I’m very glad my property has no drop offs. That scares me terribly.

If I had those areas my hands would not be the only thing gripping tightly!!
We have a few hills here.... I use the BX to cut the dam it get vertical in places, just get straight, ease over the edge, drop the mower deck and in 4x4 it will get traction about 15-20' later when the slope eases. Do NOT forget to be in 4x4.... it a long way to the trees but you'll make it... I dropped lost the front drive shaft once crossing the spillway, what a ride down the long hill but I got stopped before the trees. Had a crease in that seat for a long time.
I'm a idiot that puts tractors and ATV in places I shouldn't.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #28  
All most all of my driveway has a steep drop on one side and a bank with a ditch on the other. Much of my lawn is to steep to mow across.
Over on the farm we have very few flat fields and those have steep roadways to or from them.We have one good sized field on top of a good sized hill that bring loads down you are headed towards a pond and have to make almost a 90 corner when you get to it. When chopping the haulers have to let the chopper operator know how full to fill the wagons if they get to pushing to much going down the grade to get out. Been times we would have the 7130 4wd be the tractor to bring the wagons down that roadway and switch to the little bit smaller 2wd tractors to haul home with. Makes a long day with 4 people to chop haylage or corn silage. One chopping, one just bringing the empties up and the loaded wagon down and then two or if we get lucky three hauling the wagons and unloading.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #29  
Auto Makers use "Load-Sensing" systems for over the road applications. Load Sensing systems adjust hydraulic pressure based on the load sensed from the front wheels, which is why you can let go of the steering wheel after completing a turn and the vehicle wheels return to center on their own.
In my experience, the reason the front wheels return to center on their own is because of the caster.

It works whether the steering is manual, power assist, power, or not connected at all. It even works on bicycles, motorcycles, and such.

/ My Steering Wheel does not stay centered #30  
Easiest way to not have that issue is to remove that damn spinner. Every used tractor I purchased had one of those and is the first thing that gets removed.
The spinner valve is one the best things I have on my tractor, besides my grapple. Wouldn't operate a tractor without one.

Last edited: