Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
Bought this old all homemade gravity actuated farm use dumping trailer at an auction a few yrs back for $50 finally getting around to using it and making it somewhat safe for my family to use when they help me, it will be pulled by either a [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] l2850 or l4150. In my inventory is unused manual pump long arm hydraulic jack that I replaced with a air over hydro for my cherry picker, lots of scrap steel lots of scrap wood, and lots of fasteners. I'm planning to rebuild the deck and sides using a compilation of wood and steel. Probably mount my existing long arm hydraulic jack to raise bed using gravity to lower. Add a few grease fittings to pivot points. Please note this will not be used on the public roads and only used a few times a year lol. Project will take place this spring when it's warmer and I finish up a few other things, just looking for ideas now with folks who may have had experience with this sort of repurposing project.

Attachments

• KIMG1522.JPG
    KIMG1522.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 185
  • KIMG1524.JPG
    KIMG1524.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • KIMG1525.JPG
    KIMG1525.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 180
  • KIMG1523.JPG
    KIMG1523.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 194
   / Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #2  
I'm thinking 12volt ATV winch mounted on the hitch. Use two equal length cables on it. Wind each cable on drum opposite so one goes out and other goes in when winch turns, one line running under axle with pullies/rollers and up to the rear of the trailer, the other to the front of the body. Engage winch to make trailer tip, reverse winch to bring it back in place.

If the trailer is "gravity dump", won't take much to move the body.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #3  
It almost looks like it's balanced over the wheels. If it stays that way with your "remodel" and are aware about the weight when loading it, that with maybe 80 pounds of tongue weight would make it real easy to un hitch and lift the tongue for dumping.
Will a light trailer with tall tires and the simple hitch pin to unhitch, this might be a easy and fast dumping solution for that size trailer.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again.
It almost looks like it's balanced over the wheels. If it stays that way with your "remodel" and are aware about the weight when loading it, that with maybe 80 pounds of tongue weight would make it real easy to un hitch and lift the tongue for dumping.
Will a light trailer with tall tires and the simple hitch pin to unhitch, this might be a easy and fast dumping solution for that size trailer.
Trailer is not light I can barely lift tongue. However in it's current configuration the dump bed is somewhat balanced, unloaded anyway. It does have a dumping hinge that kind of basically you unhook both safety chains holding bed to tongue and the rear axle with oversized tires becomes the hinge. I'm slightly apprehensive of using the current configuration dumping completely uncontrolled. I'm also not wanting to put a lot of time and materials into rebuilding parts of it without it being easier and safer to use by my "helpers".

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #5  
Gotta keep the helpers safe👍I was picturing brush and leaves and maybe a little mulch would make up most of your trailering and didn't realize it already had hinges. Keep us posted.

Gotta keep the helpers safe👍I was picturing brush and leaves and maybe a little mulch would make up most of your trailering and didn't realize it already had hinges. Keep us posted.
Expect updates this spring. Currently have several 200 series JD garden tractors and a 50" ATV pull behind mower in the heated part of shop I'm working on.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #7  
How about vertical pole with pulley on top, mounted to "tongue" with a ATV winch mounted on tongue or pole and line up over pole and pulley and down to trailer bed.... Running winch "IN" lifts bed in relationship to tongue, running winch "OUT" lowers bed to tongue...

You also want some sort of lock (pin through hole) on bed/tongue to lock it in down position...

I'm thinking 12volt ATV winch mounted on the hitch. Use two equal length cables on it. Wind each cable on drum opposite so one goes out and other goes in when winch turns, one line running under axle with pullies/rollers and up to the rear of the trailer, the other to the front of the body. Engage winch to make trailer tip, reverse winch to bring it back in place.

If the trailer is "gravity dump", won't take much to move the body.
Thank you sir, that's why I posted this thread never crossed my mind to use a winch like that. I suppose if I do that method I'd have to figure a way to separate the two cables on the drum and sucessfully engineer a cable tensioner to prevent a cable rats nest, however you got me thinking.

How about vertical pole with pulley on top, mounted to "tongue" with a ATV winch mounted on tongue or pole and line up over pole and pulley and down to trailer bed.... Running winch "IN" lifts bed in relationship to tongue, running winch "OUT" lowers bed to tongue...

You also want some sort of lock (pin through hole) on bed/tongue to lock it in down position...
Probably if I decide to use a winch Id keep it simple and add rack to put counterweights in front of dump bed to lower it with winch. Wish I had a spare winch lying around, might be able to utilize a cheaper manual hand crank winch maybe even use a snatch block to give me 2-1 for ease of cranking up I'd be apprehensive of a cheap hand crank winch though if it didn't ratchet and ran wild Im imaging someone could get hurt. definitely putting in a pin and bracket of some sort to lock bed Down Interesting ideas.

Last edited:
I'm anticipating to use my trailer to haul sand away when I dredge my pond banks annually and haul stumps out of my Xmas tree rows. Currently use the small bucket on my L2850 for both.