Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again.
Is there any chance or concern with the load going over center and suddenly dumping? Reason for asking is that I had a small flat bed utility trailer that was tilt bed and would slam over center when dumping and then slam down when load came off.
as long as the 2 safety chains are hooked in place it won't dump. When unhooking the safety chains and using the dump feature it can be pretty dangerous i concur as it will slam down when unloaded, and rapidly dump when loaded if you can get enough slack to unhook the chains. I can't imagine some of the perils this trailer caused the previous owner and builder using an uncontrolled unregulated dumping mechanism. That is partially my original reasoning for using the old long arm hydraulic jack to regulate the dumping speed, and either keep the current safety chains or replace with a pin bracket setup when loaded.

Last edited:
   / Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #22  
12V linear actuator.

If I could find a used one of these at a reasonable price I'd leave the current trailer as yard art lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107-220101.png
    Screenshot_20230107-220101.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 58
   / Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #25  
Not to familiar with actuators but I'm assuming they have power to both push and pull?
Yes they do. Around here you see a few 24V units from aircraft. They run just fine on a 12V gel type small battery. You pay for the force capability and response/distance time. Shop around, these things have a lot of use for occasional brainstorms that come to mind (Snow blower chute angle). Leaf trailer dump. Header rise on my hay baler.
However, you might be able to use just a lever crank type hold-down strap slung under the trailer to the back end. When you crank it, the strap pulls the tail end down. Presumably, gravity does the rest afterwards.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #26  
Electric trailer jack = electric actuator.

Probably better in push than pull, so push up, pull down.

Or use a manual jack adapted to your battery drill.

Bruce

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #27  
as long as the 2 safety chains are hooked in place it won't dump. When unhooking the safety chains and using the dump feature it can be pretty dangerous i concur as it will slam down when unloaded, and rapidly dump when loaded if you can get enough slack to unhook the chains. I can't imagine some of the perils this trailer caused the previous owner and builder using an uncontrolled unregulated dumping mechanism. That is partially my original reasoning for using the old long arm hydraulic jack to regulate the dumping speed, and either keep the current safety chains or replace with a pin bracket setup when loaded.
Will the jack prevent rapid dump once the load goes over center? If this is style used on cherry pickers I believe it will extend if pulled on.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #28  
IMG_0933.JPG

Pintle hitch and tractor loader makes a handy dumper for the farm. Ball hitches don’t have the articulation. Moves compost from pile to garden and blueberry patch. Easy to push or pull backward with mirrors.

Brings home loads of horse stable cleanings to add to the compost pile. Dump with FEL.

Both surge hydraulic and manual mechanical brakes adds safety to an off road trailer.

/ Need simpler ideas to make this is old trailer dump again. #29  
A ball hitch will do it, you just have to dump bucket in sync with your boom lifting.

I think the winch idea is sort of best in terms of being simple to fab. With any kind of cylinder whatsoever you have to get the geometry right and doing trial and error on the attachment points is going to be tedious and possibly frustrating unless you’re willing to do the math to figure out locations becore you ever start. With the winch thing there is very little to figure out about the mounting.

I have a harbor freight atv winch (1500lb?) which i have used for years, mostly with a snatch block, to pull dead cars up into my shop, or onto trailer/tow dolley. At the time it was $59 and came with a wireless remote, which is really the crown jewel of safety features right there! I just replaced the batteries in the remote for the first time yesterday after many years.

A ball hitch will do it, you just have to dump bucket in sync with your boom lifting.

I think the winch idea is sort of best in terms of being simple to fab. With any kind of cylinder whatsoever you have to get the geometry right and doing trial and error on the attachment points is going to be tedious and possibly frustrating unless you’re willing to do the math to figure out locations becore you ever start. With the winch thing there is very little to figure out about the mounting.

I have a harbor freight atv winch (1500lb?) which i have used for years, mostly with a snatch block, to pull dead cars up into my shop, or onto trailer/tow dolley. At the time it was $59 and came with a wireless remote, which is really the crown jewel of safety features right there! I just replaced the batteries in the remote for the first time yesterday after many years.
Yep I concur probably look around for a used 1.5 k winch and try and use it like a capstan however if I could find an old used up hydraulic porto power I'd be set. Anyways first things first need to get it inside and partially disassembled to figure out the direction I'm going with this, updates and questions to follow in a few months. Thanks for all the input.