New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of)

/ New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of) #21  
The nicest shop I've ever seen measured 40 x 96 with 4 doors and a man door on one side and a large door in the gable end... basically, it was 4 ea 24 x 40 dp garages...

If I ever get to build, I hope to go 40' depth...

/ New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of)
The nicest shop I've ever seen measured 40 x 96 with 4 doors and a man door on one side and a large door in the gable end... basically, it was 4 ea 24 x 40 dp garages...

If I ever get to build, I hope to go 40' depth...

That's a really nice size! If we didn't have to spend $65K buying the property, then doing the demo on the house that was there, I would have likely gone bigger, but I think this will work out well. The way it's set on the property it would be easy to lengthen it if we decide it needs to be bigger, and can afford it. Pretty much just pull the metal off the far end, lengthen in 8ft increments, and put the metal back on the new end.

The 40ft depth seems to work well...glad I didn't go with less. I went a little crazy with overhead doors, and man doors, but it's nice to not have to shuffle things around to get something out, or have to walk all the way around to get to a man door.

The only thing I would rethink is where I put the main man door. It's on the front of the building, and when it rains you get wet from water off the eaves while you're unlocking the door (went with Schlage keypad locks). When it's cold enough, that can also cause a frozen sheet of ice in front of the door. So, I'm either going to have to add gutters to the front, or put a covered entrance over that door.

/ New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of) #23  
Now that's the ticket, GMan!! Wha' a great job! I love that you improved your area so much. A man can never have too many roofs on his place to cover all his junque.

/ New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of) #24  
That looks great! Do you have any pictures of the lean to? I'm thinking of having one added to my 40x60 to store implements and my trailer.

That looks great! Do you have any pictures of the lean to? I'm thinking of having one added to my 40x60 to store implements and my trailer.

These aren't great, but you can get the general idea:

3e8ac1076532e86186ccd72af5dbef8d_zpsff523139.jpg

13C461FA-484D-478F-B299-18FDD316B41A_zpslrjhomty.jpg

/ New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of) #26  
Looks good. Did they just run rafters for the lean to or did the trusses extend over?

Looks good. Did they just run rafters for the lean to or did the trusses extend over?

They used rafters....the lean to went up first, and the trusses connected to them.

This is from the other side...you can sort of see where the trusses end, and the lean-to starts:

/ New 40x64' Pole Barn (sort of) #30  
Any chance of getting a picture of the bracket and pole combination?