New Home Build

/ New Home Build #1  

MGP4506

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 55
I am looking to start building my retirement home. Anyone have an idea what the current cost average is per square foot. I am looking at a single story 3-bedroom 2 bath with attached 2 car garage with an open floor plan. I already own the land.

/ New Home Build #2  
There are a lot of variables,look at insulated concrete forms for the entire home. The difference upfront is slightly more but the payback is there.

/ New Home Build
There are a lot of variables,look at insulated concrete forms for the entire home. The difference upfront is slightly more but the payback is there.
It will only have a crawl space. I can't have a full basement unfortunately. But the crawl space walls will be insulated poured concrete. The heating will be natural gas forced hot air.

/ New Home Build #7  
Finished my retirement build 18 months ago, fully contracted out. Just showed up on weekends to check on work. North central MN. We had owned the land for years prior. Fully insulated poured concrete and conditioned crawl space, 4 feet high. Four bedrooms, three and a half baths. Single story open-concept home. Great room is a tall, vaulted ceiling, approximately 26 feet at peak. Lots of reclaimed wood. We did put two guest bedrooms and a bath over the garage. We used higher-end finishings for exterior and interior, granite for every counter top; bathrooms and kitchen, better appliances, heated 3-car garage, all heat on LP. 2x6 stick framed, mix of spray foam and structural insulation. $289 sq ft.

/ New Home Build #8  
Are you trying to keep the cost low? We put up a modular home that was $130/sq.ft. {edit: 2015 price!) with lots of covered deck space (54'x8' and 28'x16'). It's functional and went up fast. It is "cheaper" quality but I was going to upgrade things when time and money permits.

It works just fine and if you are not "picky" about things being perfect... the price was right for us.

Attachments

• P1020316.JPG
    P1020316.JPG
    744.5 KB · Views: 109
  • house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 99
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
   / New Home Build #10