New Home Build

/ New Home Build #41  
That's a lot cheaper than what we're seeing. Current quote is $8k for a 1000gal tank, installed. Cost us $2300 to run the copper from the road to the transformer pad. Total (conventional) septic cost is estimated to be about $30k (that work should be starting soon). We do have to pump uphill to the field.

When did you build, ovrszd?
Wow!!!! I knew I live in a low cost area, but didn't realize it was that low!!!

I bought a used propane tank. Set it myself. Propane supplier hooked it up for me.

We moved into our house 4 years ago. The utility installation costs haven't changed much if at all. Of course the material costs such as a stick of 4" sewer pipe has went up.

/ New Home Build #42  
I suspect labor and materials are up significantly over 4 years ago, even in your area. 2020/2021/2022 really did a number on things, as has been discussed elsewhere on here!

/ New Home Build #43  
I suspect labor and materials are up significantly over 4 years ago, even in your area. 2020/2021/2022 really did a number on things, as has been discussed elsewhere on here!
Absolutely. Terry could tell us exactly, to the penny, but I think my cost p/sq ft was right at $123. My builder told me last year it would have cost 40% more today. We inadvertently slid in just ahead of enormous cost increases.

/ New Home Build #44  
pvc pipe is about triple, concrete here is $200/yd, doors and windows are 8-10 weeks out, wire and supplies - doubled, hvac doubled and 3 to 4 weeks just on equipment, need a well, 6-12 months, clearing and grading ~ $6000
So the builder grade $125/sq.ft is now 200. ”upgraded“ doors, windows, cabinets and counters - 250-265/sq.ft.

/ New Home Build #45  
I'm beginning to see that $$/sqft may not be a very accurate way to look at building - especially for building rurally.

Our little house is what I would call "modest custom": It's self-designed & lots of varnished wood.
So what did it cost?
The house itself was bid at $175 to $200/sqft finished with a Cert. of Occupancy.
Adding well, septic, elecrical (buried+gen), driveway, floor heat, and upgrades etc grew to $300/sqft.
If we include the land, barn, stream work, lawn, landscaping, and tractor call it $400/sqft.

Which expenses should count for figuring $$/sq ft?
If we hadn't built the house, none of those expenses would have happened.
But without them all, few would want to live there.

Maybe we ought to ask the OP. He the one who started us all thinking about this subject.
I hope he weighs in.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / New Home Build #46  
I have not started on the build just yet, still waiting on the permit. The land, 9.25 acres in the north central Arkansas hills with two clear water creeks, one spring feed, runs good flow year round $83,000.
We have the well and the septic in, 1000 gal septic with four lateral lines was ~ $7000.
The well - 120 feet deep with 6 inch steel casing, 1/2 hp 220v pump, 30 gallon pressure tank ~ $8500 with almost no wait to have it drilled.
Getting ready to put gravel down on the 1100 ft driveway, my guy says ~ $3000 incl. labor
Right now I am not looking at the $/sq ft, I am looking at the total cost. We are doing what we want, if I can afford it and it is what we want, it is worth the cost, whatever it is!

/ New Home Build #47  
Our custom house build (just finished the truss setting and roof sheathing) is coming in around $321/ft-although we are under running our cost to build at the moment. Septic, water and power were put for the shop I built about 4 years ago so that cost is not accounted for in the house cost.

Still waiting on final costs for kitchen cabinets and countertops- this area and interior doors and millwork seem to be running on the high end of first estimates.

image000000.jpg

/ New Home Build #48  
I am looking to start building my retirement home. Anyone have an idea what the current cost average is per square foot. I am looking at a single story 3-bedroom 2 bath with attached 2 car garage with an open floor plan. I already own the land.
You are asking for an answer to the 64 dollar question. Too many variables unknown.

Use this web link and go to work.

/ New Home Build #49  
Our custom house build (just finished the truss setting and roof sheathing) is coming in around $321/ft-although we are under running our cost to build at the moment. Septic, water and power were put for the shop I built about 4 years ago so that cost is not accounted for in the house cost.

Still waiting on final costs for kitchen cabinets and countertops- this area and interior doors and millwork seem to be running on the high end of first estimates.

You are about where we were 20 years ago. Our costs for 2000 sq. feet were $200 for the house, but adding water, septic, electrical and such brought it to $300. Finish & interior work including doors and kitchen raised it farther. And a nice tractor for the new place, of course...

Doors, windows, cabinets, and counters are the things that get everyday use. We wanted them to be something we enjoyed. By luck - just as we were framing - our builder found a complete set of inside and outside doors for a custom home that someone refused & we bought at a big discount.

By the time you add in landscaping and projects, we probably have in it about what it is worth on the market.

Things we wish we had done:
Made the chimney caps easier to get to for cleaning creosote. Maybe a catwalk?
Put in regular stairs to the attic instead of pull-downs.
Made a utility room the size of a bedroom instead of a closet.
Used something better than shingles for the roof. (since changed)
Expanded the barn

Things done well:
Wrap around deck and large overhangs.
Nice hardwood doors and velux windows.
Lots of varnished wood
Heated floor
Nice sturdy little barn

rScotty