New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue?

/ New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue? #41  
My first thoughts are that 14.3 volts is a little low but then you mentioned at 1000 rpm, It's probably higher at higher engine speeds. Personally I would like to see 14.5 to 14.7 but your close enough.

14.4 is a COMMON vreg setting. In any case, this is an old vibrating contact generator system. the charge voltage number is just an averaged total anyway. They don't charge well at low rpm as it is.

/ New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue? #42  
14.4 is a COMMON vreg setting. In any case, this is an old vibrating contact generator system. the charge voltage number is just an averaged total anyway. They don't charge well at low rpm as it is.

I was thinking 14.4 was pretty sporty. I've walked away from a bunch of those systems that weren't making that and they lived.

/ New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue? #43  
Agreed.. 14.4 is rockin on a mechanical vreg. 14.4 is a common alt voltage.

I have a couple that do 13.8 and still start year after year.

/ New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue? #44  
I'm just going by what my buddy who owns an electrical repair shop says he likes to see. My 90 cummins puts out 14.7 and about three times a winter I have to top up the battery with the charger. I have an F-935 that is the same. Because of that I like to see volts on the higher end, not lower.

/ New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue? #45  
I'm just going by what my buddy who owns an electrical repair shop says he likes to see. My 90 cummins puts out 14.7 and about three times a winter I have to top up the battery with the charger. I have an F-935 that is the same. Because of that I like to see volts on the higher end, not lower.

I don't think anyone is arguing. I like to see 14+ too, and most alternator systems would be described as lacking at any lower voltage.. But it's not realistic or required from some generator / VR systems with 40 to 60 year old wiring. And a voltage reading is one measure of system function, not the only, or necessarily the most important.

/ New (to me!) ford 3000, runs great, charging issue? #46  
I don't think anyone is arguing. I like to see 14+ too, and most alternator systems would be described as lacking at any lower voltage.. But it's not realistic or required from some generator / VR systems with 40 to 60 year old wiring. And a voltage reading is one measure of system function, not the only, or necessarily the most important.

Hey no problems. I learned something again.