No more 'treadle pedal'

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #41  
I have the large treadle peddle on my B20 and don't mind it a bit. What drives me crazy is the brake pedals on the same side forward of the treadle. How did they ever expect someone to operate both at the same time?
You are so right my friend. Never figured that one out.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #42  
Thanks for the explanations on the various Kubota pedal offerings.

I bet you are right about the use of the rocker like you describe above for many people, BUT. I also think you are misunderstanding the opposition that many people have to a treadle pedal in the first place.

Even if you don't put your whole foot on top of it and try to rock back and forth, they still suck (in my opinion). Because you can't really just rest your heel on the floor and try to go forward. You do have to hover your foot above the forward arrow/pedal and use some toe pressure to get it pressed down, and thats what blows. After a couple hours of loader work, or anything really, your leg is sore and tire. And each time you want reverse, you have to pick your whole leg up in the air, and reposition it further back on the deck to hit the reverse pedal. It's fatiguing, and pointless effort.

A conventional two-pedal hydro lets you just keep your heel on the floor and use the whole weight of your leg to easily apply forward pressure, it's much less fatiguing and requires less concentration and awareness. Just like true temper's thread shows, converting to pedals up front lets you keep your heel on the floor and it's a vast improvement for most people. Hard to understand why Kubota is staying with this setup.

There is no lifting/hovering. If you had to lift your leg or hover, it would indeed be uncomfortable, but that is not how it's done. I can try to make a video if it helps but I think it should be self-explanatory and natural once you spend time on the tractor.

I have spent 8+ hours a day operating treadle tractors doing grading work with a lot of back and forth, and I have not noticed any fatigue issues at all. It's a very natural motion, just pivoting at the knee and alternating heel or toe resting on the floor and opposite part of foot on the peg of the treadle. It's very efficient in forward/reverse operations like going in/out of a material pile with the front loader, since the treadle swings out of the way opposite of how your foot is swinging, so by the time you swing your foot to the new position, the appropriate peg is under the correct part of your foot.

I honestly don't even think about the controls, there is just a very smooth and efficient change of direction, so it feels like a clean direct link between my brain and the task at hand. I have used both the twin pedals and single treadle for a long time (own a Deere and a Kubota currently) and both perform that way for me.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #43  
There is no lifting/hovering. If you had to lift your leg or hover, it would indeed be uncomfortable, but that is not how it's done. I can try to make a video if it helps but I think it should be self-explanatory and natural once you spend time on the tractor.

I have spent 8+ hours a day operating treadle tractors doing grading work with a lot of back and forth, and I have not noticed any fatigue issues at all. It's a very natural motion, just pivoting at the knee and alternating heel or toe resting on the floor and opposite part of foot on the peg of the treadle. It's very efficient in forward/reverse operations like going in/out of a material pile with the front loader, since the treadle swings out of the way opposite of how your foot is swinging, so by the time you swing your foot to the new position, the appropriate peg is under the correct part of your foot.

I honestly don't even think about the controls, there is just a very smooth and efficient change of direction, so it feels like a clean direct link between my brain and the task at hand. I have used both the twin pedals and single treadle for a long time (own a Deere and a Kubota currently) and both perform that way for me.
Sometimes my brain and foot aren’t in sync. Time to reverse. All clear behind, 3pt is lifted, runway lights are on, clearance from the tower, etc. Somehow my right foot didn’t get the memo and forward we all go. Got a dented barn corner as a reminder. :eek:

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #44  
Not two pedals, just a smaller treadle.
When did the MX go to the grand L style of digital dash cluster? That looks like a grand L series tractor and not an MX. I was at my local dealer today getting parts for my L3901 and checking tractors out and the new MX they had there still had the same treadle peddle like my standard L series.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #45  
Your suppose to test drive it first. I learned about what I wanted from reading on TBN and talking to my buddy who has a L3830HST. I didn't even sit on my buddies tractor or drive it.

I didn't go to the dealer, because it's 150 miles from here. Called them on the phone, got some quotes and then ordered my tractor. Ordered the L3540HSTC-3 with oversized loader, backhoe and blower. Also pallet forks and then bought a grapple from EA.

Sometime later they called and said my tractor was in. Went there sat in it and started it up and paid for it. On July 10, 2012 they delivered it and have enjoyed it since.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #46  
I bought a like new 2018 MX5200 HST with a big pedal. It's a little difficult to get comfortable with coming from 25 yrs of 2 pedal operation. At least my brakes are on the left side. I too found the toe under forward lift for reverse but I wear sneakers with cloth tops and it is a bit uncomfortable.
I've only put a few hours on the tractor but this oversized pedal will take a bit of getting used to - that's for sure... honestly it is the only thing I do not like about the machine

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #47  
Old thread here but what the heck.... I wonder if the reason for "fly by wire" on the hydro control is to facilitate the coordinated throttle function without complicated mechanical connection between the two?

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #48  
Old thread here but what the heck.... I wonder if the reason for "fly by wire" on the hydro control is to facilitate the coordinated throttle function without complicated mechanical connection between the two?

For sure, and it also let them tune the HST behavior and response with user-selectable modes. They enable a whole lot of customization by putting a computer between the treadle and the HST. I don’t remember what year Kubota came out with HST+ but it was a big improvement in sophistication.

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #49  
For sure, and it also let them tune the HST behavior and response with user-selectable modes. They enable a whole lot of customization by putting a computer between the treadle and the HST. I don’t remember what year Kubota came out with HST+ but it was a big improvement in sophistication.
I wonder if it is just a simple potentiometer on the hydro pedal and then the computer takes it from there? Just curious as it seems like there could be a somewhat universal after market kit to convert to coordinated throttle. Somewhat similar to universal cruise control kits for vehicles?

/ No more 'treadle pedal' #50  
Without wading thru the entire thread, would someone please post a picture of the "treadle pedal" so I can see what has become infamous.

Thanks.