Now I'm paranoid

/ Now I'm paranoid
Have the 12 TON (2x6) version pinned jack stands coming, adequate insurance IMHO. ;)

I'll lift under pull bar assy w/hydraulic jack, that thing fits under a farrari and goes high enough for a lifted jeep. Leave in 2wd and chock the front wheels w/rubber chocks from RV/trailer to install the 3" spacers.

/ Now I'm paranoid #74  
This really happened. We had a sump motor back in a room that was about 10' below grade. It failed and someone said lets use a gas engine pump to keep everything drawn down. This "sump" had two vertical shaft pumps and both had failed. Our job as a shop was to pull the motors out using a chain fall. They sent two co-workers on the job who i wouldn't let wire my doghouse. The doors were open and everyone would avoid that area...or so we thought. The motor was below grade in a confined space so dumb and dumber go back there with their calibrated 4 gas monitor. I'm walking by with a co-worker and they were oblivious as their monitor went into alarm. We yell GTFO as they looked at us puzzled. I guess they thought the whole confined space gas monitor calibration was just something to appease management.

Last edited:
   / Now I'm paranoid #75  
In my case and at 73, women are the last thing on my mind. Mind you I am a professional dirty old man and proud of it but at my age, just thinking about a pretty lass and what I might think about doing, makes me tired, so I try not to dwell on it. Now I have a looker living in one of my rentals next door and she has a bad habit of sunning herself on the back deck sans most of her clothes and being the dirty old man I am, I cannot help looking....

Happened to me more than once with renters actually. I had one single lass that when I was working on her sink trap decided to stand over me with no panties on. I flat told her to go and put some underwear on as I don't trade rent for that and never will. I'm totally finance oriented. First thing that happens in that situation is your monthly rent goes south and the threat of her telling my wife also looms and my wife of 35+ years would clean me out in a second so I know which side my bread is buttered on....

I can look but that is it.

I own 3 rentals, all nice brick ranches on acreage and 2 are paid off and the third is almost and I have a nice income from them as well so why rock the boat and chance bankruptcy over some trim. No way Jose...
A lot of being safe is avoiding risky situations.

In 40 years of property management never has a renter made an advance or if it happened I was oblivious to it... sometimes better to be dumb in that regard.

The Tool and Die shop had gone decades without a serious injury and safety was the byword.

That said a stamp press I had hundreds of hours of time took all the fingers from one hand of one of my co workers and I've thought could that have been me.

Press is to be fully powered down prior to adjusting or clearing die.

Something was jambed and he hit the power off switch and reached in just before the large flywheel stopped rotating and the arm dropped...

Gives me chills even so many years later.

There is risk with anything but there are almost always options and being tired or just before wrapping up a job or work is prime time for injury...

/ Now I'm paranoid #76  
A lot of being safe is avoiding risky situations.

In 40 years of property management never has a renter made an advance or if it happened I was oblivious to it... sometimes better to be dumb in that regard.

The Tool and Die shop had gone decades without a serious injury and safety was the byword.

That said a stamp press I had hundreds of hours of time took all the fingers from one hand of one of my co workers and I've thought could that have been me.

Press is to be fully powered down prior to adjusting or clearing die.

Something was jambed and he hit the power off switch and reached in just before the large flywheel stopped rotating and the arm dropped...

Gives me chills even so many years later.

There is risk with anything but there are almost always options and being tired or just before wrapping up a job or work is prime time for injury...
Years ago somebody crawled into a whole tree chipper to clear it, not realizing the drum was still turning. He didn't survive. The worst part was his coworker sitting in a crane and watching the entire thing, completely helpless to do anything.

/ Now I'm paranoid #77  
So, are you saying if you had a pre-nup you would?

LOL. Just kidding of course.
Probably should have but alas, I have everything in her name anyway. Only thing I own outright is a couple old Kubota's and my pillow. Better thant way and it eliminates the probate issue when I die and I'll die before her anyway. Heck, I was told I had 6 months to live 7 years ago and I'm still here, well, most of me is. I left a trail of parts over that time and some whopper hospital bills too.... and I'm still dealing with it and will be until my pending demise. Every other week I'm at the hospital getting my juice. It's never pleasant but it keeps me going. I cannot imagine how people with limited health care do it. Not an issue with me thank the Lord. For a benchmark, I've run up over a million bucks in hospital bills over the last 7 years and I'm on a first name basis with just about everyone at the hospital I go to. They call me a 'frequent flyer' there. Not flying for me, it's just staying alive. Got another one coming up next Tuesday. Tuesday and Wednesday are terrible days for me and then it tapers off somewhat and my off week, I'm somewhat normal but then what is normal for most people isn't normal for me anyway. I don't wish what I deal with on even my worst enemies, well maybe on B iden...lol I still far and run my shop and do exotic metals TIG welding and I have 2 employees I have to worry about as well. Just quoted a huge polished aluminum cut and weld job so I'm out buying the necessary stuff to do it with.

My BIL told me I should get a 'handicapped' tag for my car so I can park up front and I told him I don't want one so long as I can walk, I'm good. I do walk with a limp but it don't really bother me. Besides, I see people abuse that all the time and I'm not an abuser, never have been. If I need that, I'll be staying home not out driving.

Just how I roll.

/ Now I'm paranoid #78  
Years ago somebody crawled into a whole tree chipper to clear it, not realizing the drum was still turning. He didn't survive. The worst part was his coworker sitting in a crane and watching the entire thing, completely helpless to do anything.
I've always maintained that is what happened to Jimmy Hoffa. His enemies ran him through a wood chipper. One of my side jobs is I work on commercial wood chippers and I specialize in Bandit chippers, the big auto feed ones. Have one sitting in the side yard right now and it's quite capable of gobbling up who tree trunks and making them into wood chips. Has a big Cat engine on it and it's mounted on a low bed trailer. I have to remove the chipper wheel (heavy) and replace some of the knife mounts and sharpen all the knives and anvils as well. Glad my M9's can lift 3 tons.

/ Now I'm paranoid #79  
Maybe just information overload, carry on and don't be a dummy?

I have spent many years working around equipment that could rip you're arm off and beat you with it. Don't become complacent around danger, that's when things get you.

It's a good start being paranoid but that can fade quickly.

/ Now I'm paranoid #80  
Posted before about a rent to own Bandit Chipper program where whatever paid in rental fees would be deducted from the selling price.

I called and reserved a unit and went out with my service van, paid the rental as unit was hitched... went out for a safety check and make sure hitched properly... about 30 miles each way from the farm.

As I'm driving out hear shouting and stop... guy runs out saying he forgot to copy my contractor license... I'm not a contractor and never represented as one.

To make a long story short they could sell me a unit but not rent...

Had to turn around unhitch and cancel the rental and charges... waste of time from the Bandit Dealer.

The unit was a try out at the tree farm... guess farmers can't rent Bandit Chippers?

Every so often they send me advertisements but why???