Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #41  
At the time I wondered how many times a driver of a new diesel truck or car wound up with a tank of gas.

I can assure you that it happened many, many times. The summer I worked in my brother's tire dealership and garage in Anchorage, I lost count of the number of drivers who did that. The station attendant would send them to us when that happened. And then some years later, my other brother did that to his Matco Tool truck one cold winter night. He was accustomed to stopping on the north side of the pump and grabbing the left nozzle (diesel), but that night there was a car on that side of the pump so he stopped on the other side and grabbed the left nozzle (gasoline). When he realized what he had done, he called me and I took my portable pump and a 55 gallon barrel and went to help him.:laughing:

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #42  
When my brother was still in High School back in CA, he had a job at a gas station across from Southland Mall. One night two guys came in with a gun, tied him up, emptied out the cash register, and then pumped gas for everyone that showed up for another hour or so. Then when things slowed down, they took off and eventually my brother untied himself and called the police. I have no idea what happened after that, but he quit working there and got a job doing something else.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #43  
You're kiddin, right?
It shuts off once, and the guy shuts it down and you have to go away?

It depends on the level of sense the attendant has; most are smart enough to realize that if it shuts off immediately that they need to restart it at a slower rate, but technically, they should end the transaction there. As for the other, no, there is no round off, when it shuts off yer done.

I'm seeing a trend here, seems most Oregon residents rode the short bus to school

While that might be true for a percentage, most of this stuff occurs in the legislature due to the supermajority (guess which side), and they find out about it after the first of the year when all the laws take effect. I was at a gas station on 31 Dec topping off and mentioned the tax increase and no one inside the store knew about it, including the cashier. Everyone gripes after the fact about all the stupidity, and complain that they never got to vote on this. As our state rep and local radio guy says, "You do get to vote on these things, you just keep electing the wrong people to represent you."

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #45  
Just seems very odd to a Kansas boy that pumping your own gas is even news worthy. Do Oregonians have a curfew also?

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #46  
I'm seeing a trend here, seems most Oregon residents rode the short bus to school
Wrong. But, for the sake of clarity, what is so thrilling about pumping your own gas?

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #47  
It depends on the level of sense the attendant has; most are smart enough to realize that if it shuts off immediately that they need to restart it at a slower rate, but technically, they should end the transaction there. As for the other, no, there is no round off, when it shuts off yer done.

While that might be true for a percentage, most of this stuff occurs in the legislature due to the supermajority (guess which side), and they find out about it after the first of the year when all the laws take effect. I was at a gas station on 31 Dec topping off and mentioned the tax increase and no one inside the store knew about it, including the cashier. Everyone gripes after the fact about all the stupidity, and complain that they never got to vote on this. As our state rep and local radio guy says, "You do get to vote on these things, you just keep electing the wrong people to represent you."
The state was sending out undercover agents to bust pump attendants for topping off tanks, or rounding up to the nearest dollar.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #48  
Just seems very odd to a Kansas boy that pumping your own gas is even news worthy. Do Oregonians have a curfew also?
No, but we are banned from associating with people from Kansas.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #49  
When you get pulled over by a cop you have to have license, registration and a hall pass...!

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #50  
I learned the hard way in NJ. Around here, people pull in anyway to an open pump. So i pulled into a NJ station, just pulled into an open pump. Apparently they only pull in from one direction, but it wasnt marked like costco is, the locals just know it. Well a guy came running and screaming at me for coming into the pump "backwards". I just left, went to another station.

At costco, i pull into whatever pump is open, left or right side. The hoses are long enough to reach the other side of your vehicle. One day i pulled into a pump with the fill on the other side. A guy pumping gas on the other side of the pump from me started yelling at me because i pulled into the wrong side for my vehicle. I just ignored him, started the pump, and pulled the hose over to the fill.