Penetrating oils tested

/ Penetrating oils tested #11  
EddieWalker said:
Speaking of lubricating sprays, does anybody have some recomendations that they really like?

Eddie

I was wondering that same thing the other day Eddie. The passenger door on my truck has gotten stiff. I shot it with silicone as I've heard so many bad things about WD40 as a lube but the silicone didn't seem to solve the problem. I may give it a shot of WD tonight. For spray lube, those are the only two things I've ever used.

I do use PB Blaster for the rusted stuff and am quite happy with it.

/ Penetrating oils tested #12  
RobS said:
I was wondering that same thing the other day Eddie. The passenger door on my truck has gotten stiff. I shot it with silicone as I've heard so many bad things about WD40 as a lube but the silicone didn't seem to solve the problem. I may give it a shot of WD tonight. For spray lube, those are the only two things I've ever used.

I also found that WD 40 is best for car doors

when i was working steam engineer, we used KROIL AND FOUND IT THE BEST. NEVER have tried PB THOUGH

/ Penetrating oils tested #13  
WD-40 is a great water displacer and light lubricant, but it's "lasting" properties are a little lacking.

I like Break-Free (CLP) for everything else that requires metal to metal contact/rubbing/friction. We used it in the military for lubricating just about everything. It's a cleaner, protectant and lubricant all in one and I've never had a nut or bolt that couldn't be removed after a good dousing and the right wrench.

It's also the best thing going for guns. It was initially developed for gun usage, but the military found it was great for everything else as it has replaced several older Mil-L-xxxxx lubricants.

Here's an excerpt from Break Free's site:
Break-Free CLP Performance Gun Care Products meet the U.S. Military specifications for use on weapons and weapon systems. The U.S. Military, NATO, and over 30 militaries around the world choose to use this all-in-one cleaner, lubricant, and preservative to keep their weapons combat ready and dependable in battle under any conditions. Break-Free CLP passes over 14 U.S. Army and NATO performance tests that include baking to 150 degrees Fahrenheit and freezing to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit, sea-water immersion tests, and intensive, extended firing tests.

/ Penetrating oils tested #14  
RobS said:

PB is a tremendous penetrant and rust-eater, but certainly is not a lubricant. I use the lithium spray grease on vehicle door hinges too. It stays on a good long time. I haven't sprayed it in a door lock yet, but I suspect it would work there too. The only place I use silicone spray anymore is on electronic stuff and plastic surfaces.

/ Penetrating oils tested #15  
Podunkadunk said:
WD-40 is a great water displacer and light lubricant, but it's "lasting" properties are a little lacking.

I like Break-Free (CLP) for everything else that requires metal to metal contact/rubbing/friction. We used it in the military for lubricating just about everything. It's a cleaner, protectant and lubricant all in one and I've never had a nut or bolt that couldn't be removed after a good dousing and the right wrench.

It's also the best thing going for guns. It was initially developed for gun usage, but the military found it was great for everything else as it has replaced several older Mil-L-xxxxx lubricants.

Here's an excerpt from Break Free's site:
Break-Free CLP Performance Gun Care Products meet the U.S. Military specifications for use on weapons and weapon systems. The U.S. Military, NATO, and over 30 militaries around the world choose to use this all-in-one cleaner, lubricant, and preservative to keep their weapons combat ready and dependable in battle under any conditions. Break-Free CLP passes over 14 U.S. Army and NATO performance tests that include baking to 150 degrees Fahrenheit and freezing to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit, sea-water immersion tests, and intensive, extended firing tests.

Check this link:
militec
Apparently there have been problems with CLP in Iraq.

/ Penetrating oils tested #16  
reb said:
Check this link:
militec
Apparently there have been problems with CLP in Iraq.

Apparently isn't the word. I have a buddy that was in Iraq a couple years ago. After we shot my AR, he wanted to clean it for me. Hey, whatever he wanted was fine with me. He didn't say anything about CLP, but he did tell me that they didn't use any lube in the sand box as it attracted too much dust and jammed up their weapons. I guess the sand there is more like dust than our sand. I'll have to ask him more about the lube.

/ Penetrating oils tested #17  
The sand were I was at over there was fine almost like talcum powder. It would get into all of our electronics and just coat it.

Dave

/ Penetrating oils tested
RobS said:

Rem Oil works for me, unless I have to go with something heavier.

/ Penetrating oils tested #19  
I used WD40 for a penetrating oil until TBN educated me about PB Blaster. I now use PB for penetration... even purchased a gallon and spray can of it. I find it is much better for penetration than WD40. Never tried the other products.

/ Penetrating oils tested #20  
I had real problems with all the door locks at the embassy when I first arrived in Egypt. The Seabee before me just love to wash the mechanisims in WD-40and it really held the dust.

I eventually took every crash-bar and door lock through the parts washer and lubed them up with a teflon spray from CRC. It dries and does not attract dust.

I've got a can of Liquid Wrench lubricant in the shop right now that uses PTFE technology. The jury is still out on its' effectiveness, but it doesn't leave an oily film.