Penetrating oils tested

/ Penetrating oils tested #41  
BigE_ , without opening an old wound . Is the loader frame on your tractor standard ? And do you know how long they have been like that ?

Umm, don't know what you mean by old wound... I have the 7308 loader on my tractor. Dunno if it's standard, but I've seen others that look just like it... It isn't the new style by any means.

-Steve

/ Penetrating oils tested #42  
I bought Kroil when I was working on a car that had sat for 15 years. I sent away for it . Just about everything was frozen in place . I did a lot of spraying ,tapping and waiting to free things up. The Kroil paid for itself as nothing broke or stripped. For everyday use I use WD 40 or PB.

John

Guess I'm going to have to get some Kroil, then. I've got a clutch that doesn't want to come off a motor shaft. (Off my chipper). I put a 5 ton puller on it -- stripped out the first one. Replaced it with another, and this time I broke the weld on the piece I was hooking the jaws on.

Heat, soaking with PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD40, ATF/Acetone, PSF/Acetone -- none have seemed to work. It's been on the shaft out in the elements for the last 17 years, and is frozen pretty solid.

I'm hoping when I weld the piece back on the clutch it will provide enough heat to let me break it loose. A new clutch comes in at $800....

Next up is disassembling the motor, taking the shaft out, and putting the thing in a 20 ton press. (Motor is shot -- needs new valve seats, ground valves, rings, probably cylinder sleeves, fuel pump, muffler, coil, the list goes on).

/ Penetrating oils tested #43  
I use acetone and brake fluid bcs

/ Penetrating oils tested #45  
I searched long and hard for the reference about ATF/Acetone, and PSF/Acetone, and came to this conclusion.

I believe this is the original article about mixing the cleaner/lubricant. It specifically says ATF. It started out as a gun cleaner and lubricant, and someone broke it down to a penetrating oil. Like someone else said, most power steering fluid is ATF, and some are not, and if used in the wrong system, the seals may fail. I think the concept is that acetone will mix well with mineral spirits. No one has said anything about synthetic fluids. Keep in mind that acetone is fast evaporating, and should only be mixed when it is to be used right away. It also has to be stored in certain containers. It also eats paint and is used as a degreaser.

Ed's Red

/ Penetrating oils tested #46  
Ditto that. I find that acetone evaps so fast.. that many times I use naptha instead of acetone.. naptha and atf gets pretty thin and can wick pretty deep given the right circumstances.

soundguy