Penetrating oils tested

/ Penetrating oils tested #21  
There is a post somewhere on here about how candle wax (parrafin) works better than anything at breaking stuff free. They heat the bolt enough to melt the parrrafin when held against it. Everyone who tried it swore by it.

Ken

/ Penetrating oils tested #23  
PB makes a long lasting rust inibittor now, so if you like their penetrating spray you'll like the new product.

P8299673.jpg

/ Penetrating oils tested #24  
IMHO.. wd-40 is great for de-watering an ignition system.. or removing a gummy lable off a hard surface... A good off the shelf pent-oil is PB blaster. I think kroil may be better.. but it is price prohibitive, and not locally available.

I have used the following though..:

ATF mixed with:

mineral spirits, diesel, or kerosene... whatever was handy.. all seem to work the same.

have also mixed in some naptha to thin it further..

I figure this comes close to that atf/acetone mix.. though a tad safer.

I can sure tell you that other old tractor guys use this atf mix on stuck stuff. Many of us have unstuck locked up engines with atf or atf/kerosene mixes...

soundguy

LMTC said:
I assume the poundage is force required to break whatever was tested free after using the listed product? I don't have numbers, but I know we used wd-40 and liquid wrench a lot before finding PB Blaster, and no one who ever worked here thought either one came close to PB. Can't speak for Kroil, and I would think the ATF-Acetone mix a disaster waiting to explode.

Biggest thing we found with PB when we discovered it back around '97 was that it would keep penetrating. Things we'd soak with the other two repeatedly never seemed to get any better after maybe a day. With PB if it wasn't easy, we'd spray again and let it sit overnight (when possible) and it was amazing.

/ Penetrating oils tested #25  
ksimolo said:
There is a post somewhere on here about how candle wax (parrafin) works better than anything at breaking stuff free. They heat the bolt enough to melt the parrrafin when held against it. Everyone who tried it swore by it.

Ken

That's another good old trick.. it's mentioned inthe tips/tricks thread many forums up from here.

the melted wax wicks in to the threds.. then cools/hardens.. the wax acts as a real good lube when you start pulling the fasteners apart..

I took apart an old dearborn 10 1 plow using candle wax.. where even pb-blaster failed.

soundguy

/ Penetrating oils tested #26  
reb said:
Check this link:
militec
Apparently there have been problems with CLP in Iraq.

Interesting report. I could see that happening though with ANY type of lubricant that stays wet after applying.

The sand over there is more like concentrated dust than sand.

I am always looking for a better mousetrap though and will look into getting some Miltec. Thanks.

Podunk

/ Penetrating oils tested #27  
Podunkadunk said:
Interesting report. I could see that happening though with ANY type of lubricant that stays wet after applying.

The sand over there is more like concentrated dust than sand.

I am always looking for a better mousetrap though and will look into getting some Miltec. Thanks.

Podunk
Militec does not dry, but after worikng it in, can be dried off the surface. The "oil" modifies the metal surface, leaving it slipperier.
larry

/ Penetrating oils tested #28  
I love PB products, they have a garage/semi-trailer door lub thats good, cutting oil, and others.
I haven't seen Tri-Flow mentioned yet, good lub,comes in a black can, good stuff.
I use CLP on guns.
Kroil is great but it penetrates everything, including nose and throat maybe similar to the wintergreen oil someone mentioned.

/ Penetrating oils tested #29  
TriFlow is what the locksmiths told me to use in the padlocks that I use on my snowmobiles and trailers. I also uses it in my pickup key locks, too. Kroil is what what I like for penetrating oil.