Possible danger of tractor side exhaust

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #41  
I had a flapper and it sure did stand at attention!

Never noticed any diesel smell and the only puff was at first crank when cold.

My Deere 110 does get to me if I'm doing loader work all day... side exhaust

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust
This is my old 50 series JD tractor with vertical exhaust. Woods do not get much narlier than this. A dirtier burning tractor for sure and yet never noticed what I'm noticing now with the new one. I seem to take as many branch hits with the new one as the old one. The vertical stack often helped me avoid hits as I would simply reach out to grab the sprung branch before it struck me. I always wear a logging helmet with the face shield down to this day.

I would trade this exhaust configuration any day over the one I have now even in these woods. To each his own of course but with the potential of the present exhaust side routing of most or some tractors to cause health issues whether it's head aches, raspy repiratories or possible spark for more serious disease, I thought it prudent to raise the issue.

I am wondering if someone did a more conclusive study about this as to what exhaust particulate amounts are exactly getting to an open station operator as a result (that does not have a tier 4 tractor), what the suggestions or course of actions toward manufacturers (f any) would be. I know sure well how the defined dangers of diesel exhaust have been stipulated and am not sure how well or poorly side exhaust mitigate those dangers.

Attachments

• PICT0057.JPG
    PICT0057.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 173
   / Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #43  
This is my old tractor with vertical exhaust. Woods do not get much narlier than this. A dirtier burning tractor for sure and yet never noticed what I'm noticing now with the new one. I seem to take as many branch hits with the new one as the old one. The vertical stack often helped me avoid hits as I would simply reach out to grab the sprung branch before it became unsprung. I always wear a logging helmet with the face shield down. Didn't have to when operating a skidder as the driver cage was pretty protected. Always wore a helmet however

I would trade this exhaust configuration any day over the one I have now even in these woods. To each his own of course but with the potential of the present exhaust side routing of most or some tractors to cause health issues whether it's head aches, raspy repiratories or possible spark for more serious disease, I thought it prudent to raise the issue.

I am wondering if someone did a more conclusive study about this as to what exhaust particulate amounts are exactly getting to an open station operator as a result (that does not have a tier 4 tractor), what the suggestions or course of actions toward manufacturers (f any) would be. I know sure well how the defined dangers of diesel exhaust have been stipulated and am not sure how well or poorly side exhaust mitigate those dangers.

Wouldn't conditions have to be grossly stacked against the operator before dangerous levels of exhaust would be inhaled?? Kinda like the Perfect Storm of wind direction, velocity, exhaust expelled speed, etc.? I very, very rarely smell exhaust with my three horizontal systems. But maybe I'm being silently killed?? :)

I can't do vertical exhaust in timber. Got enough to keep track of without anticipating being smacked by a sprung tree limb. :)

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #44  
I am going to try an experiment.
Not scientific but as best can be done in a garage.
Wind here is a constant so when outside the side exhaust gets blown away.
I am going to put a CO monitor/alarm in the operator area while the tractor runs in the garage (with the door open) to see how much CO ends up in the operator area.

The garage is where I have the greatest risk of inhalation when the tractor is warming up.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #45  
I borrowed a D3 dozer to do some grading work. This had a vertical straight stack with no flapper. I put 2.5 gallon bucket over it to keep water out I forgot to remove the bucket before starting it, and shot that bucket 10 feet in the air when it roared to life.

Hi 4570Man, I can picture that bucket flying off you made my morning coffee with a smile, thanks. I also 4570 and love it. Wish Nosler would make their .458 Partition bullet again.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #46  
Good thought Arrow, my concern with more study would be OSHA stepping in and requiring 50 or more safety hoops to jump through and pay big bucks… ever see the OSHA approved cowboy?

I agree daves, I usually park in an open sided tractor shed, but in my shop it’s a problem. I always open all doors before starting engine and leave the shop for a few minutes. I want a breeze to clean it out quickly. Let us know what your CO detector does…

Gotta go, two endangered species just walked into the front garden…

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #47  
My only concern, with the low right side exhaust, is going into regen while in tall dry grass during one of our droughts. I have a LS XR4046HC cab tractor but, have never had an issue with fumes. Never noticed any soot on bucket either.

My New Holland TL100A has side exhaust but, top of exhaust is near top of the cab.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
My LS P7010 will never have any issue with exhaust fumes. The exhaust is ran up the right side of the cab all the way to the top then turned out to the side. It is also well anchored to the cab frame so branches cant bend it. The cab intake air filters are in the rear of the cab under the cab roof extension where the least possibility of pulling in contaminates exist. The location and the cab means no exhaust fumes.
If folks are really worried about possibility of lung cancer from exhaust fumes and dust particles, invest in a cab or get yourself a very good respirator to wear 100% of the time.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #48  
I am going to try an experiment.
Not scientific but as best can be done in a garage.
Wind here is a constant so when outside the side exhaust gets blown away.
I am going to put a CO monitor/alarm in the operator area while the tractor runs in the garage (with the door open) to see how much CO ends up in the operator area.

The garage is where I have the greatest risk of inhalation when the tractor is warming up.

Ok, First test is a bust. Hooked up the CO detector and pushed the test button. Everything tested good.
Set the unit on top of the seat back and let the tractor warm up for 15 minutes. I could smell exhaust but no reading on the detector.
Then put the detector directly in front of the exhaust pipe. No alarm. Used a incense directly in the vents still no alarm so I consider the alarm defective.

Lesson learned? Don't trust the test button on any detector.

I will get another detector and try again soon.

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust #49  
From a course for firefighters who start engines indoors.

Health Effects​

A:Short Term

1.​ Diesel exhaust is composed of gases and microscopic solids. The most significant gases are carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), hydrocarbons (HC), nitrogen oxides (NO2), and sulfide oxides (SO2).
a. ​Carbon Dioxide (CO) upon entering the bloodstream reduces delivery of oxygen to the body’s organs and tissues.
b.​Exposure from diesel exhaust can cause a series of temporary symptoms including: headaches, eye irritation, nausea, vomiting, numbness, wheezing, heartburn and chest tightness Hydrocarbon (HC) contributes to formation of ozone, which is responsible for choking, coughing, and stinging eyes associated with smog.
c. ​Sulfide Oxides (SO2) causes eye and mucous membrane irritation.

B.​Long Term

1.​Ozone damages lung tissue aggravates respiratory disease and makes people more susceptible to respiratory infections. Children are especially susceptible to ozone’s harmful effects, as adults with existing disease.
a. Many hydrocarbons (HC) are also air toxins. Exposure to air toxins is associated with cancer, birth defects and other serious health problems.
b.​Nitrogen Oxides (NO2) can irritate lungs, cause bronchitis and pneumonia, and lower resistance to respiratory infections. ​
c.​Particulate Matter (PM) causes breathing and respiratory problems, aggravation of existing respiratory and cardiovascular disease, damage to lung tissue, alteration in immunological system, and premature death.

d.​High exposure to CO2 can cause poisoning and death

/ Possible danger of tractor side exhaust
Wouldn't conditions have to be grossly stacked against the operator before dangerous levels of exhaust would be inhaled?? Kinda like the Perfect Storm of wind direction, velocity, exhaust expelled speed, etc.? I very, very rarely smell exhaust with my three horizontal systems. But maybe I'm being silently killed?? :)

I can't do vertical exhaust in timber. Got enough to keep track of without anticipating being smacked by a sprung tree limb. :)

I think an easily obtained perfect storm. I'm always smelling exhaust on this tractor. First the exhaust blowing against the fel boom. Secondly the tractor moving forward. I'm not even counting wind as that is so variable to one's favor and disadvantage.

This all came to me over time. It started with my wife stating to me while we were watching TV about a year ago, "why do you keep clearing your thoat so much lately". I answered, "I don't know". As it continued, I kept ascertaining where this could be coming from. Working on the truck? Chainsawing? Mineral spirits? Staining the house? Allergies? Sanding stuff? In a course of 6 months, I went over and over what I was doing. Some days were better than others. Then I caught on to the tractor and did further experimentation. It was always worse on the night of the day I used the tractor. I then began to eliminate other things as I'm running a chainsaw usually with the tractor. When I stopped sawing and splitting, I just ran the tractor doing general chores. Sure enough I'd have that frog in my throat that evening. It would get better after 2 or 3 days. I'd get on the tractor and it would get worse. I did this about 6 times just to see for more certainty. I correlated that it was the exhaust after I saw what was happening at night. If I lay off the machine, it starts to get better.

It might just be that my body has reached a saturation point. 30 years as a logger, then another 20 logging as a home owner may have made myself more sensitive or perhaps 2 yrs on this tractor may have pushed me over the edge. I don't know if anyone even makes a vertical exhaust anymore but I'm wishing I had one with this one.

Everyone is different. Some variables can be matched up. I just made notification in case some others were experiencing the same thing or perhaps others wanting to avoid a possible future situation.
I don't mind having the right to die if I do something stupid. I just hate it if death is trying to sneak up on me.