Power service, white bottle

/ Power service, white bottle #31  
After reading here about fuel addatives a few years ago I started adding power service in the white bottle regularly. Recent reading indicated only for really cold weather. I quit using it......until it got history breaking -15 degrees here. RTV1140 would start but not rev up and die when put in gear. Long walk to garage, got bottle of power service, return walk back to RTV, added power service, came back later, was a bit warmer and it started/starts fine and runs fine now. Never been much of a believer/supporter of addatives but will use Power Service white bottle in winter now.

Power Service also makes an additive, I believe it's in a silver bottle, that you can pour in the tank of a gelled vehicle and it will clear it up. I've heard you can speed the process by unscrewing the filter and adding a dab there in the process.

I use PS white bottle all Winter. #2 Diesel begins to gel at +20F.

/ Power service, white bottle #32  
Have used White bottle Power Service year around for over 30 years to prevent problems and never had trouble. However, according to Power Service web site Products | Power Service the SILVER bottle is for summer, the WHITE bottle is for winter and the RED bottle is for adding when problem occurs to clear/thaw filters etc. I use off-road diesel mainly because it is close to my house and it is around $0.50 less per gallon. May start using the additive according to Power Service.

I think you are right, I quoted the silver bottle as the problem solver, but I believe it is the red bottle.

/ Power service, white bottle #33  
Power Service also makes an additive, I believe it's in a silver bottle, that you can pour in the tank of a gelled vehicle and it will clear it up. I've heard you can speed the process by unscrewing the filter and adding a dab there in the process.

I use PS white bottle all Winter. #2 Diesel begins to gel at +20F.

Silver is summer stuff and red is what your thinking.

/ Power service, white bottle #34  
Been clearing residential laneways for several years since retiring.. which means I operate my diesels more in winter than the other 3 seasons...Have never used PS and always top up my tank when returning from a snow clearing event (2-5 hours depending on the amount of snow). Toping up helps prevent condensation that leads to fuel line freezups..The fuel we get in this area from Oct onward is a winter blend and likely has any additives already included from the refinery...have never had a geling issue, but have occasionally had a fuel filter freeze up due to ice and always in the early part of the snow season..(likely condensation left over from the summer/fall).I doubt the fuel available down 'south' would be the same formulation as it seems the southern contributors to this forum have more problems with fuel from geling/waxing/freezing than up here in the 'great white (and cold) north'.

If it makes you feel better keep on using it.....my experience tells me it is unnecessary if the fuel you are getting is formulated for cold weather conditions.

I never believe a supplier to tell me if the fuel is Winter safe. A $20 bottle of PS treats 250 gallons. Last time I gelled was 20 something years ago when I filled with fuel that the supplier said was "Winterized". It was not.

/ Power service, white bottle #35  
I always use ps all the time. I keep a bottle of 911 handy just in case and haven't had to use it. Never (knock on wood) had a fuel problem.

/ Power service, white bottle #36  
Always got a good chuckle when folks call diesel fuel additives SNAKE OIL.I wonder what they are thinking this year with record low temps?I have used Schaffers,opit-lube,stanadyne diesel additives in my dodge diesel truck(now sold)tractors and kubota RTV 900. Never had a fail to start or gelling issue the last 20 years.I usually use about 500-600 gals of diesel fuel per year.

I agree. There is another tractor forum that I am a member of. They bash anyone that brings up winter treatment of diesel fuel. They state that it will destroy your fuel system.
They say to keep lots of spare fuel filters on hand in the winter.

/ Power service, white bottle #37  
I agree. There is another tractor forum that I am a member of. They bash anyone that brings up winter treatment of diesel fuel. They state that it will destroy your fuel system.

Do they think battery maintainers destroy batteries, too? Sounds like a fun forum to troll.

/ Power service, white bottle #38  
I'm always surprised every Winter when I hear local farmers/ranchers complaining about their chore tractor's fuel gelling. I don't have Winter chores other than clearing the driveway. All 3 of my tractors are currently sitting in a 70 degree heated shop. All 3 of my tractors have their tanks full of treated fuel.

/ Power service, white bottle #39  

Do you suppose the filter guys sell filters? I use PS white year round. No issues using it.

/ Power service, white bottle #40  
White bottle year 'round since day one, and in all diesels. :) In the old NH I used to mix 50/50 w/kero during winter, but gph was noticeably higher and I got tired of mixing.

Now I used Howes as well, and nothing but #2. (1 oz/gal) Good starts down to +10F, but any colder than that I can wait for a warmup into the teens. Always work the FEL to warm hydro while waiting for the temp gauge to give me a go-ahead.

Too many diesel cars/trucks around here not to trust #2 from the pump, and brother's Jetta TDI has started reliably, sub-0, with no additives.
btw, my home-brew tender/rejuvenator has brought several batteries back from the dead. So much for 'what some guy said' ... :cool2: