Power Trac Update

/ Power Trac Update #1  

WillingtonPizza

Bronze Member
I have been very busy lately and have not spent as much time on this web site as I wanted. Thought I would fill everyone out on my tractor so far. We have had a lot of snow and the 6 way plow has been excellent. Even though the blade is only 5' the tractor changes direction so quickly that it is extremly fast for plowing. The articulation also has been great, turns very well on ice. I am also amazed at how stable the tractor is. I would guess the average person does not have the nerve to bring this tractor close to its limit, these tractors are rated for upto 48 degrees with dual tires, the hightest in the industry they claim, I would need diapers on to test that. We have got a lot of snow recently and I had to take the tractor to work to bucket snow out of the parking lot. (we have 250 seats, very large lot). I was amazed how quickly it went, I brought the bucket and the plow, being able to change attachments without getting off the machine was a big help. I realy think these tractors are going to gain a lot of popularity, they are very well thought out and one of the only tractors this size built right in the USA. Not just and American name on a foreign machine.
www.power-trac.com

/ Power Trac Update #2  
Kinda wonder how your tractor would react on ice,for I thought traction might hamper you even on small grade.

That sounded like a grand time plowing the parking lot...Did you get time an half. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Power Trac Update #3  
WP, I've been reading your posts on this tractor with interest. One question. It looks as if it is close to the ground. What is the ground clearance? Interesting machine. Keep us posted

Ernie
"It would be a waste of men to put our brave little band against thousands" James Bowie

/ Power Trac Update
I do no know the exact clearence but I will check, I know it has considerably more than our John Deere Gator that has 7" with after market tires. It has a very low center of gravity that you can actualy "feel" when manuvering, never had that sensation on any other machine, possibly because you sit low with all that hydralic fluid under you butt! The tractor does well on Ice for it's size, never a problem with no attatchments down but sometimes with a lot of ice you have to turn into the snow a little when the plow is angled to keep into the fresh snow. We got 16" of snow today so far and it is still coming down hard, I should have fun tommorrow!!! I love the snow, I'm always jealous when I read about some of the snow in other area's.

/ Power Trac Update
WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!! We realy got a lot of snow last night for Connecticut. At 11:30 we had over 24" of wet snow and it was still coming down. At 11:40pm I could'nt take it any longer and hiked out to the barn to start the tractor. I was anxious to see how the tractor would handle in the deep snow. It worked better than expected. I had to dig a path from the barn to the house first (800'), and then worked on my driveway (1,600"), and parking area. It was slow going at first, I had to clear and area to start from and I could'nt angle the plow to far because the snow was so heavy it would start to turn the plow. What a great time I had, at 2:30am I went inside only because I was concerned about getting up at 6:00. I am very happy with my machine so far, I thought I may need chains next year but I don't think they are necessary yet and this is just about the biggest storm we could get, (I could only dream about a bigger one!!). Happy snowplowing!

/ Power Trac Update #6  
Just wondered if you had any updates on your PowerTrac? Likes/Dislikes, etc., now that you've had it a while. I'm planning on visiting them this weekend to look over the units in person. Thanks for all your posts to date!

/ Power Trac Update
The tractor has worked excellent, I made a york rake for it and I am now planning on making a leaf blower. A friend of mine has a relative that works for giant vac so I should have no problems getting the parts, the beauty of hydralic pto is how easy it is to modify other implements to work. I just call the factor with rpm and shaft requirements and they will send a hydralic motor with the hoses and correct shaft to attatch. Let me know how your visit goes, I bought mine site unnseen. If they will let you hop on with know instruction and see how you do, everything is where you would think it should be.

/ Power Trac Update #8  
Well...there and back again! I must say I can see why you like the machine. They've got a nice "little" setup there! Currently they have an acre +/- under roof for their sales/manufacturing area plus additional buildings for service, etc. I was told they're going to be expanding this year.

They had 10-15 425's in various stages of construction in their assembly area — they build the machines in batches. So I got to see everything from the ground up. Quite a neat, well-built little machine. Certainly is rugged! I don't think it has any metal on it less than 3/16" thick! The machine's layout is simple (that's in a good way) and clean. They make most of the hydraulic cylinders and use name brand hydraulic motors, etc.

I tested a 422 with the Robin/Subaru engine (22 HP). The only drawback I see in this layout might be removing the battery since you have to remove the muffler, but that shouldn't be too difficult to do — plus it should only need done every 3 or 4 years or so.

I'm happy to say the Power-Trac works as advertised. We played around a little in the dirt with the smaller digging bucket. Plenty of power and you gotta love the hookup of implements. Talk about simple and easy! I think that's one of the biggest pains in working with a tractor and several different implements. Most tractors take 10-15 minutes of playing around to changeover from one to another. With the Power-trac if it takes more than a minute or two you're loafing! All the controls are like you said — just where they need to be and where you'd expect them — although I think it would take me a little while to get used to the treadle (forward/reverse). Maneuverability is excellent. I tried sitting still (i.e., not moving the tractor forward or reverse) and just turned the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times while on loose gravel — to test whether the tires would "scuff" the grass when mowing. Didn't disturb the gravel a bit. Seems to work on grass too, though I didn't have a mower mounted. That's one of my major objections when we mow. I think I have about 100 square feet of level ground on the 5 acres we mow. We're always spinning at some point, tearing up the ground. It doesn't look like this would be a problem with the Power-trac.

We toured the entire facility and got to see their current parts and tractor inventory plus all the implements they sell. They have a complete inventory of every implement on their price list that I could see. At the time they probably had 20-30 total tractors in inventory (building up for spring orders). All sizes were represented in the 400 series (418, 422, and 425) plus they had several 1400 series (1430/1460) and at least one 2445. The only one I didn't notice was the 1800 series, but I wasn't looking for it, so it might have been there too! They also had one set of each of their "packages" — the trailer, tractor, and assorted implements. If I were a contractor that's the way I'd go. No muss, no fuss. Everything's there and accessible. There also was at least one of the ATVs plus several of the deep-mining equipment machines. All-in-all, quite a good selection.

If you couldn't tell, we were impressed! The only thing I wish they had was a water-cooled engine. I just like the idea of a more consistently cooled engine.

Anyway, it was a good trip. Anyone consdering the machine and hesitant about the "no-name" manufacturer ought to make the trip. They're good people and they make a good product from what I can see.

Again, thanks for starting this ball rolling!

/ Power Trac Update
I am so glad to have some one on this web site who has seen one of these machines!!! I have a friend who sells commercial equipment (rock drilling rigs) and he said the water cooled motor is a non issue because of the motors they have chosen for there machines. I hope people take notice of this machine but not before I get the implements I want because eventualy the demand will drive up the price. Go USA!! it is so nice to see a machine designed like this from our home shores. Shame on those companys from America that have there tractors built in other countries, they can surely build a tractor cheaper than a small company like Power-Trac in the states. Please, if you are considering a compact tractor look at these machines!! Keeping our investment money in the USA helps us all if these machines fill your needs. When I sit on my tractor the first thing I thought is: ya, if I built a tractor that is exactly how I would do it. www.power-trac.com
I will say it again, I have nothing to do with the company!! If you do not believe me ask them or send me and email and come check your self, I make pizza for a living.

/ Power Trac Update
Did something interesting today with my Power-Trac. We got a lot of rain in Connecticut last night and today and when I got home my swail was all full of muck and sand. Because the tractor tires are so wide on my tractor I was able to drive into the muck and bucket it out quickly with out risk of the front tires getting stuck. I wish my wife was home to take a picture!!