Power Trac Update

/ Power Trac Update #11  
WP:

Glad to hear things are still going well there!

Well, I've reviewed everything I can find on the Ventrac, Steiner, and Power-Trac. I've seen the Ventrac and Power-Trac in person and the Steiner only in ads, brochures, and the web.

We've made up our minds (that's the wife and I) that there's no doubt we'll be Power-Trac owners in the near future. I've got a Cub Cadet to sell, but that shouldn't hold us back. There are just too many advantages to this machine for our use that nothing else can touch. Plus, the added bonus is the price! Nothing comes close for such a versatile piece of equipment. This machine is going to be used a lot! The Cub just sits there between mowings because its just not able to do much else without a lot of bother. The Power-Trac will be a definite asset!

We're probably going to go with the 422 instead of the 425. I'm a big Subaru fan, so we're going to give their engine a try. Unless they come out with another engine by the time we're ready to buy!

Not sure what options we'll get, but we're looking at the mower (of course), blade, both buckets (digging and light duty hauling/carrying), salt/fertilizer spreader, rake, aerator, and potato digger. At least for now. Other options may come later. Still, this will come just over $12000 (shipping not included)! The Ventrac (with five LESS implements that are just not available for it) would be just over $18000. For my money, there's no question which one "wins" here.

Granted, the Ventrac is "prettier", but the Power-trac seems like it was designed to WORK, not look pretty.

Also, I wanted to echo your comments on the quality and "made in the USA". I'm not a big "it has to be made in the USA" guy before I'll buy something (its a big interconnected world out there!) but it IS nice to see something this well thought out being done here. They've proven it can be done. I think that there are just too many greedy people in the supply chain (or just too many middle-men) that drives the prices up for the other makes.

Anyway, I'll get down off the soapbox now...

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know when we get ours. It'll be a little while, though, so I look forward to any updates from you till then.

/ Power Trac Update
BG:
Glad to see your choice, the 22hp is a better choice than the 18 because of the external oil cooler in the hood. This is a big plus if you are going to run your machine for long periods of time. It works like a water cooled radiator, when the engine reaches a certain tempature the fan on the cooler kicks on for a short time. I almost bought the pt422. I have only heard good things about the Robin gas motors. My next purchase is going to be the stump cutter and the brush cutter. Do you know what tires you are going to use?? I got the bar tires and like them so far, they don't dig up the lawn because there so wide.

/ Power Trac Update #13  
W.P.:

Haven't decided on the tires yet. Most of what I'll be doing, the standard turf tires should be okay. But, some of what I want to use the machine for is going to be in some "swampy" areas, so I was considering the bar tread tires.

You say they don't tear up the yard either, so that's good to know. I may opt for the bar treads. How are they on hard ground/gravel road — do they get noticeably "bouncy"? That's the only thing that might persuade me to just try the turf tires first.

I'll be traveling on business till Friday (New London CT —somewhat close to your neck of the woods), so if you post a reply I'll not see it till then.

/ Power Trac Update
BG:

I don't think the tires are bouncey but the seat does have some spring to it. The bar tires do not tear up the lawn but if the lawn is muddy it does leave skinny, shallow tread marks, I don't think it is going to be a problem. I plan on using my machine in the woods a lot and I also pull a hay trailer with it so bar tires are a must for me. Keep in mind that these are not ag tires, these are wide bar tires that are flat on the bottom so they spread the weight out, like tires on a skid steer.

/ Power Trac Update
Well it has been a while since my last update. The tractor has been working very well. This past Sunday I cleared a lot that had the trees cut down but the logs and brush where lying in a very large area. People where amazed, and I have to say, so was I. I brought chains and expected to skid the logs out dragging them out with the front bucket. The first log I went upto after clearing the brush was about 8 feet long and 20 inches in diameter. I was going to move the log with the bucket but to my suprise I was able to pick up the log very quickly with the bucket. Because of the shape of the bucket, teeth on bucket and speed of the hydralics I could roll the log a little and scoop it up quickly. The loader is rated for 800lbs, this has to be a misprint, I continualy picked up logs well over this with ease. I was able to clear an amazing amount of wood in a very little amount of time because I never had to get off the tractor. I am going to bring a camera over to take pictures.

The tractor has been excellent with good digging power. Everyone who sees this tractor in action says the same thing, "what a well designed machine, what country does it come from? I am looking forward to using the mower next week. We have a late growing season in Conn. this year, we still have no leaves on our trees.

I have a roll bar and a 3/8 inch steel rain cover and found out what the seatbelt is for. I was trying to remove a small stump with the front bucket and my head gave the roll bar a nice little kiss (almost looks like a hickey now!). Needless to say I always where it now, I hope it will become like my truck and I end up feeling uncomfortable with out it!

See Ya, Rich.

/ Power Trac Update #16  
WP,

I stumbled across this forum and your posts about Power Trac a couple of months ago. I've been looking for a compact tractor to take the place of my injured back. The Power Trac sounded interesting, so I checked it out. I've owned Kubota and Massey tractors in the past, but wrestling attachments and looking backwards wasn't an option for me this time around. The front mounted attachments and Quick Attach sounded just right for me.

I contacted Power Trac and they put me in contact with two lanscapers who have been using PT's for four years. They both were very positive about the machines and the service. These guys use these tractors hard and they have held up well. I was able to go try out a PT22 and was very impressed. It was a little strange to operate at first, but the learning curve was short. What a great little machine and made in the U.S.A.

I placed my order for a PT25 a week ago, and I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive here in the mountains of Oregon. I'll let you know how it performs. I have a couple of years of projects wating for it.

Cheers, Eric

/ Power Trac Update #17  
Eric,
I was curious if you have received your Power Trac and how it is working for you. I myself have had back surgery. I have been hesitant about purchasing a new tractor since I have and still do manuver old tractor implements into position risking several weeks of pain to get something done on my property. This sounds like the machine that would make life much easier and more fun than the work.
Your input and others with this tractor would be appreciated since I am close to making a decision on a new tractor purchase.

Regards,
Jim

/ Power Trac Update
I like your name, I am an avid golfer but not very good. I still love my tractor and it mow's awsome. We have a huge yard. You never have to move your implements by hand, the tractor quick connects work awsome. Let me no if you have any questions.

/ Power Trac Update #19  
WPizza,
I am curious as to the operation of the tractor with attachments such as the boxblade,rotary tiller or rake since they are mounted on the front of the machine when on other tractors these implements are mounted on the rear.
I am assuming you have to operate the trac in reverse. This would seem a little awkward since you would have to continually look backward to see where you are going.
My other question on the machine is "why have 3 gasoline motors within 7 hp of each other?". Is there that much difference in power from one motor to the other?
Thanks for your input.
By the way, once I've deceided which tractor model to purchase, my first project will be to add a synthetic putting green to the property.

FORE!!!!!

/ Power Trac Update #20  
WillingtonPizza,
How is the Power Trac with using your bucket, how much break out force does it have, do you lose traction at all, who is it in the winter time moving snow? Have you had any problem with the unit and were did you get it fixed? I like the price and the ease (as I have seen on the adds) of putting attachments on!
Kcook