Pull behind snowblower

/ Pull behind snowblower #11  
mjncad said:
What happens if you have snow too deep for the tractor to drive through? All the snow-blowing power in the world isn't going to make a difference if you can't drive forward to feed snow into the blower.

Have you had that much snow in one storm?? We have, but still got it blown. If the weather gets bad, it gets blown during
Ing the storm. Don't wait until the storm is over. Plus, driveway was open, no trees, or any kind of shelter, no snow fence.

If it is that deep, you are going to have problems with a reverse blower too.

/ Pull behind snowblower #12  
What happens if you have snow too deep for the tractor to drive through? All the snow-blowing power in the world isn't going to make a difference if you can't drive forward to feed snow into the blower.

I agree, how does that work unless you have a really big tractor? I did not know they had such a thing until I read a post on here about a 72" Meteor pull behind and had to take a look. I like the idea of driving forward and would love a front push snowblower.

/ Pull behind snowblower #13  

Not that I have one because I don't, but I haven't found any snow accumulation deep enough that I can't drive through, including drifts, but then, I do have a large unit.

Lucknow also makes front mount units and snow pusher boxes.

/ Pull behind snowblower #14  
5030, now that i think about it, i agree with you. My tractor is not quite as big as yours, but it's close. I will have to experiment driving thru the deep ones first, i know i won't get stuck. Oh how i wish i could DEMO a pull type for the winter. It's a good thing my wife keeps an eye on me. I'd have one of everything until the check book got to zero.:D Than i'd grab the credit cards.:laughing:

/ Pull behind snowblower #15  
That's about the only time I use FWA....in snow. The R1's bite in and off we go. I certainly don't make it a practice of drift busting but when I clear the path to the feeders across the field, I often encounter sizeable drifts, in the excess of 4-5 feet and I've never gotten stuck. It 'shudders' a bit and continues forward.

The reason (I believe) people get stuck in drifts with cars and pickup trucks is primarily foolishness on their part and once snow packs under the chassis, effectively lifting all 4 wheels, you are done. That don't happen with a tractor because the undercarrige in relationship to the weight of the tractor allows the tractor to 'dig in' and move forward as the chassis 'plows' through the snow, both in a forward relationship and a downward relationship.

If I had it to do over again, I would have a rear mount, pull type blower. I can see an advantage in as much as with a back up blower, you can't really see what exactly the blower is blowing, like rocks or the ocassional out of place plank or cinder block....:laughing:, however, with a pull type, you can see exactly what the auger is digesting.

/ Pull behind snowblower #16  
Have you had that much snow in one storm?? We have, but still got it blown. If the weather gets bad, it gets blown duringing the storm. Don't wait until the storm is over. Plus, driveway was open, no trees, or any kind of shelter, no snow fence.

If it is that deep, you are going to have problems with a reverse blower too.

The bolded sentences are quite pertinent, regardless of how you remove the snow.
I get out when the snow is 6-8 inches deep (maybe more if it's a fluffy, dry snow). It's easier to push (I use the FEL bucket) and less stress on the tractor and operator.

/ Pull behind snowblower #17  
All good and well, cept for the few times we got an unannounced dump of 36" overnight. Nothing was ever mentioned on the news about the approaching front. Went to bed with no snow, woke up to crotch deep snow. Im GLAD i had a drive backwards version then... and a front bucket.

I hope that NEVER happens again. Took 8 full hours to clear my place.This has happened 2 times in the past 14 years...so i don't see it as a pattern, but ya never know. Its all due to Al Gores mouth...:laughing:

/ Pull behind snowblower
I'm thinking if it's that deep I drop the FEL a little to shave and push the top layer forward and to the side.

/ Pull behind snowblower #19  
All good and well, cept for the few times we got an unannounced dump of 36" overnight. Nothing was ever mentioned on the news about the approaching front. Went to bed with no snow, woke up to crotch deep snow. Im GLAD i had a drive backwards version then... and a front bucket.

I hope that NEVER happens again. Took 8 full hours to clear my place.This has happened 2 times in the past 14 years...so i don't see it as a pattern, but ya never know. Its all due to Al Gores mouth...:laughing:

Yep..best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...

/ Pull behind snowblower #20  
I've yet to go out and clear the drive until the storm is over, with the exception if someone needs to get out or in. For me it works best to wait until its all over with. 4 inches or 3 feet. Thats why i love my 16x16 trans. Incredible creeper gears. Still would like to try a pull type.