Pull behind snowblower

/ Pull behind snowblower #31  
I went back and forth a bit on this but finally decided that this was the time to try out a pull forward type blower.

We haven't had enough snow in a storm for as long as I can remember now that I could not drive through so long as I blew the snow at some point during 24 hours.

I have a 75" Meteor on order along with my new M7040. I imagine the bigger tractor with ags will also help driving through anything that falls here.

/ Pull behind snowblower #32  
I went back and forth a bit on this but finally decided that this was the time to try out a pull forward type blower.

We haven't had enough snow in a storm for as long as I can remember now that I could not drive through so long as I blew the snow at some point during 24 hours.

I have a 75" Meteor on order along with my new M7040. I imagine the bigger tractor with ags will also help driving through anything that falls here.

I believe you'll find that statement to be very true. You generally have the same snowfalls we have just to the west and slightly south of you, here in southeast Michigan.

I actually added side wings to my Lucknow to increase the cut width, a simple addition that clears an even wider swath.

I presume that the Meteor comes with adjustable skid shoes. If it don't, you'll need to add them. The blowers aren't meant 'scrape' the ground like a plow is. They really don't have a cutting edge like a plow either, just a horizontal strip of steel below the auger. They are designed to ride above ground level slightly.

I added weld on blosters on the lower frame to accept Meyers style round skid shoes. The have a vertical shaft that's pinned to the upright and employ flat washers to achieve the desired clearance between the blower and the ground.

You will want to rest the blower on the skid shoes (with the 3ph position control released and the draft control off). You'll also want to set the attitude of the blower slightly floward with the top link. That allows the blower to 'dig into the snow' slightly and bear down on the skid shoes as you have no applied down pressure with the 3ph, only the weight of the blower itself will provide the downward pressure.

If you are blowing on gravel, you'll want to set the skids high enough that the lower edge below the auger don't pick up gravel and turn the blower into a machine gun. I'm always cognizant of where the chute is pointing because you never know what's going through the impeller. A blower blowing gravel, or planks or cinder blocks:D, can be not only lethal to bystanders but ruin the siding on a house and/or blow out the windows in a flash, let alone giving automobiles severe dimples.....:)

Because mine is a rear mount, backup type, I set my blower attitude (down pressure) with the blower leaning slightly rearward, you'll want just the opposite, slightly forward.

/ Pull behind snowblower #33  
5030, I have adjustable skid shoes with my current blower and I actually took them off after a summer or two. I found that the blower just didn't go close enough to the ground even with the skids at min height.

What I do is that in the case of the first few snowfalls I just drive over the snow and pack it down so I have a good layer of snow over the gravel.

An interesting option on these pull forward blowers is a blade that hangs off the back. I never got it as it was 600 bucks but I can see how it can provide a nice clean look.

/ Pull behind snowblower #34  
I could see a pull type blower working for a lot of snow falls. However, where I live, it is the winds and drifts that cause the issues. 6" snows with 3-4' drifts that stretch for 25-50+ yards are not uncommon. 6' drifts not that rare. No rear pull blower on a tractor is going to make it through. Once you get high centered or if slick, you are done.

2 years ago I had drifts that were over 6' in my driveway and on the road. No place to push it. Rear snowblower just chewed its way through them at a very slow pace. On my Toolcat the snow was over the cab. I could not open the doors on either side more than a couple of inches. Weird sensation of looking at walls of snow on either side. I was worried about getting stuck and not being able to get out of the cab. I don't use the blower much, but in really deep snow, there is no other tool than can do it but a conventional blower.

/ Pull behind snowblower #35  
I could see a pull type blower working for a lot of snow falls. However, where I live, it is the winds and drifts that cause the issues. 6" snows with 3-4' drifts that stretch for 25-50+ yards are not uncommon. 6' drifts not that rare. No rear pull blower on a tractor is going to make it through. Once you get high centered or if slick, you are done.

2 years ago I had drifts that were over 6' in my driveway and on the road. No place to push it. Rear snowblower just chewed its way through them at a very slow pace. On my Toolcat the snow was over the cab. I could not open the doors on either side more than a couple of inches. Weird sensation of looking at walls of snow on either side. I was worried about getting stuck and not being able to get out of the cab. I don't use the blower much, but in really deep snow, there is no other tool than can do it but a conventional blower.

ya, i hear you. I take care of some neighbors driveways that have drifting issues. Can easily get 4 feet deep.

I was actually looking into getting a pull behind blower (way cheaper than what i ended up getting) but how in the heck could i clear the horse barn when it sheds????

Attachments

• snow shedding E side barn DURING 2008.jpg
    snow shedding E side barn DURING 2008.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 181
  • snow shedding e side AFTER 2008.jpg
    snow shedding e side AFTER 2008.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Rusty, Ruby, Gunner winter 2008.jpg
    Rusty, Ruby, Gunner winter 2008.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 162
  • snow shed off w side barn 2008.jpg
    snow shed off w side barn 2008.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Corral Mtn Range B 2008.jpg
    Corral Mtn Range B 2008.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Corral Mtn Range D 2008.jpg
    Corral Mtn Range D 2008.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 232
  • P1301135.JPG
    P1301135.JPG
    674.2 KB · Views: 185
   / Pull behind snowblower #36  
I bought one for $20 and used it for many years. As long as the snow wasn't too wet or deep, it worked well. It had 2 pipes welded on the right side, so you could slide on an extension wing for widening. The extension wasn't with it so I just welded some smaller pipes to half of a 55 gal barrel and it worked ok. If you tried to hog too much though, It would suck the tractor into the bank and plug the blower in a hurry.

/ Pull behind snowblower #37  
5030, I have adjustable skid shoes with my current blower and I actually took them off after a summer or two. I found that the blower just didn't go close enough to the ground even with the skids at min height.

What I do is that in the case of the first few snowfalls I just drive over the snow and pack it down so I have a good layer of snow over the gravel.

An interesting option on these pull forward blowers is a blade that hangs off the back. I never got it as it was 600 bucks but I can see how it can provide a nice clean look.

I started out with no shoes. because I live in Monroe County where the road comission never comes out and plows until after all the body shops are full, we never see any snow removal for at least 3 days and sometimes never. Consequently, my reason for the Lucknow was to do the road from the farm to the paved road, about 1 mile. It's all dirt. With no shoes, the lower edges of the side sheets on the Lucknow were wearing away. I hard rodded the lower edges but they still wore so the solution was skid shoes.

I don't mind leaving a 1/2" of snow on the road, That's a whole bunch better than 2 or 3 foot drifts....and it keeps the blower from acting like a full auto machine, I mean gravel gun.....

I'm actually perusing for an old snowblade that I can weld to a Bobcat style hitch plate and put on the ATI quick attach on the fel.

With that, I can make a pass with the blower and the return with the blade.

It takes 2 passes to open the road and I love winter, I always make some good pocket change pulling people out of ditches, drifts and other places they should stay out of, but don't and it's usually a jacked up 4wd pickup with mudder tires that gets stuck. I carry my snatch strap and keep a big clevis on the drawbar. You get to the end of the snatch strap and whatever is at the other end, always comes out..... one way or another.:D

I typically charge 50 bucks cash for a pull and a hundred if they instruct.:thumbsup:

It might sound steep but consider being on a lonely country road, in the ditch or buried in a drift and it's way below freezing and you don't want to call Central Dispatch for assistance because if the Sherriff comes out, you can't pass a breathalyzer test.....

/ Pull behind snowblower #38  
ya, i hear you. I take care of some neighbors driveways that have drifting issues. Can easily get 4 feet deep.

I was actually looking into getting a pull behind blower (way cheaper than what i ended up getting) but how in the heck could i clear the horse barn when it sheds????

You are way too domestic.:)

I blow a path to the horse barns so I can get to the round bale feeders and water tanks.... That's it

Of course I don't care for horses anyway. They belong to the wife. Horses are like boats, a hole that you pour money into.

Gimme cattle or hogs or something that you can butcher or sell at market weight.

When the nags are gone (under ground), I'll plant alfalfa, tear down the horse barns and actually make some money instead of blowing it on hayburners.

/ Pull behind snowblower #39  
You are way too domestic.:)

I blow a path to the horse barns so I can get to the round bale feeders and water tanks.... That's it

Of course I don't care for horses anyway. They belong to the wife. Horses are like boats, a hole that you pour money into.

Gimme cattle or hogs or something that you can butcher or sell at market weight.

When the nags are gone (under ground), I'll plant alfalfa, tear down the horse barns and actually make some money instead of blowing it on hayburners.

Now dont hold back, tell me how you really feel about horses :laughing:

/ Pull behind snowblower #40  
Actuaslly, I don't mind them. They are all Percheron Draft Horses and very gentle. My wife would bring them in the house if she could, I guess. I know they'd wind up in the basement as the floors would give way.......:laughing:

I'm allergic to horse hair.