Pull behind snowblower

/ Pull behind snowblower #41  
Actuaslly, I don't mind them. They are all Percheron Draft Horses and very gentle. My wife would bring them in the house if she could, I guess. I know they'd wind up in the basement as the floors would give way.......:laughing:

I'm allergic to horse hair.

being allergic to them doesn't make it very nice. Mine are Norwegian Fjord horses.....

I make them pull and spread their own manure...that will show them. And they also have to haul us around come winter. Lots of fun

Attachments

• ALL3 copy.jpg
    ALL3 copy.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 177
  • P4162467.JPG
    P4162467.JPG
    683.1 KB · Views: 167
  • manure 3.jpg
    manure 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 194
  • IMGA0062.JPG
    IMGA0062.JPG
    534.5 KB · Views: 125
  • P1011093.JPG
    P1011093.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 237
   / Pull behind snowblower #42  
Nice kids and I like your forecart. My wife is a teamster. She drives the Percheron Mares, one up and 2 up. Candidly, I can't get them to go straight to save my life....

One good thing about the horses, got me into Blackrock Leather Care and I sell a pile of that stuff...to motorcyclists for their leather goods.

My wife parked the leather for biothane.:)

Too bad you live so far. My wife has a Troyer custom built meadowbrook with splt seat for sale. Has hard eubber and roller bearing hubs.

A path to the feeders and water tanks still does it for me..........:D

/ Pull behind snowblower #43  
Cool, the wife and I both drive and compete in combined driving events.

/ Pull behind snowblower #44  
Lovely pictures. Used to board horses at my place but got tired of the boarders. We decided to start a small herd of Galloway cattle. It will be two years this January and we will be butchering our first three calves in the spring.

So far its been a money pit :) but thats usually what happens when you try to do anything right. Got my fences all electrified, setup a rotational grazing system with water to each paddock, panels to create an area to work them and a chute to handle them. Plus purchasing the breeding stock. Next year I expect to break even on hay bills and such.

I managed to justify a MUCH bigger tractor to make it 'safer' to handle big rounds now since I have the cattle - no there is no way the cattle operation is paying me for a brand new M7040!

Ultimately, it is all about the lifestyle isn't it? I spend a sick amount of money on toys er. equipment and the farm while I have friends who grow their wealth a little more efficiently. Of course I have more stores to tell as will my kids when they are older.

/ Pull behind snowblower #45  
Sorry to take the thread back to the original topic, but... :laughing:

Just wanted to share my experience with the OP, but also perhaps get some ideas on how to fix my issue:
I bought 50's model Erskine pull behind drive forward blower from my neighbor, and tried to use it last winter. With any snowfall over 2" I had real trouble with snow not sliding into the auger but just caking in the wings. This happened consistently regardless of the moisture or age or temperature of the snow. Also, when my neighbor (the previous owner) was looking at my work he said it used to blow the snow tens of feet away, while I was throwing barely off the road. He used a 19 hp 8N while I am using 5055D with 45 hp PTO - both at 540. I sprayed the Erskine with spray on wax to make it slicker, but that barely made any difference. Any recommendations?

/ Pull behind snowblower #46  
Sorry to take the thread back to the original topic, but... :laughing:

Just wanted to share my experience with the OP, but also perhaps get some ideas on how to fix my issue:
I bought 50's model Erskine pull behind drive forward blower from my neighbor, and tried to use it last winter. With any snowfall over 2" I had real trouble with snow not sliding into the auger but just caking in the wings. This happened consistently regardless of the moisture or age or temperature of the snow. Also, when my neighbor (the previous owner) was looking at my work he said it used to blow the snow tens of feet away, while I was throwing barely off the road. He used a 19 hp 8N while I am using 5055D with 45 hp PTO - both at 540. I sprayed the Erskine with spray on wax to make it slicker, but that barely made any difference. Any recommendations?
'

How dare you take the thread back on track!!

:laughing:

/ Pull behind snowblower #47  
Of course my question would be... How rusty is the collection area and, do you keep the blower/tractor inside where it's warmer than the outside temperature?

If the collection area is rusty, or the chute, the snow will collect and pack. If the blower/tractor is kept inside where the temperature is warmer than the outside temperature, it will pack as well.

The collection area must be rust free and painted and the blower has to be at ambient temperature.

/ Pull behind snowblower #48  
Of course my question would be... How rusty is the collection area and, do you keep the blower/tractor inside where it's warmer than the outside temperature?

If the collection area is rusty, or the chute, the snow will collect and pack. If the blower/tractor is kept inside where the temperature is warmer than the outside temperature, it will pack as well.

The collection area must be rust free and painted and the blower has to be at ambient temperature.

It has no visible rust but must admit it does not have much paint left. So, sounds like a paint job is in my future.

I keep it inside a barn, but it is uninsulated and unheated area so the temperature should be close to outside temp.

Appreciate the input.

/ Pull behind snowblower #49  
This pull behind unit was made by Snow Machines - similar to the older Erskine type. It works best on light fluffy snow, and if there's 8" or less. It also works much better with a high-speed pto. (750 or more) The smoothness of the in-feed wings is a factor, but higher rpm seems to make the most difference. The modern 2-stage pull behind units ( Normand, Erskine) do a better job but they're spendy. I don't use this one any more - went all soft and cushy - see avatar.

Attachments

• snowmachines blower.jpg
    snowmachines blower.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited: