Pull down a high widow maker.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #41  
Like at festivities when you hear about people shooting up in the air and then read about someone hit with a mysterious bullet quite a distance away.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #42  
I am a scaredy cat. Anything that I cannot let mother nature take care of, I hire someone who knows what they are doing and has insurance.
Exactly what I do, but in my case, I don't have to pay directly for it because it's a 'tit for tat' deal as I sharpen chipper knives as well as work on their chippers for them and sharpen their chain loops too. I don't mind trading at all actually and I'd never consider buying a High Ranger anyway, way beyond my financial capabilities.

Kind of have my pick of arborist companies though I do prefer one in particular. I call and he comes and puts the stuff on the ground and chips up the small stuff and I turn the rest into saw logs and my wood cutter friend who splits wood and sells it to the local campgrounds takes it away. Of course that only pertains to wood other than pine. The pine either gets chipped or I roast it. Over the years my wife and I have gotten to know personally, the one I prefer. Know his wife and kids as well. Nice folks and personally I think he's a bit crazy doing what he does but I for certain would never do it. For me, getting up on a step ladder makes me jittery. With Rick, being 60 feet up in a tree don't seem to bother him one bit. I prefer to just be a bystander and watch.

I have a rather large pile of chips in the side yard presently, cooking away.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #43  
Remember, if you are pulling with any kind of rope except Dacron, you will be dealing with a lot of stretch. If something breaks, the rope will come right at you, so fast you can hardly see it.(Don't ask how I know this).

Put about 20 feet of chain about 3/8 size between your rope and the attachment point on the tractor. If the rope breaks, the chain will instantly drop on the ground and direct the rope down so it misses you. Otherwise, the rope will snap back and hit the attachment point on the tractor(and anything near it, like $150. grilles, or you) really hard.

When using a rope, if it stretches at all, especially nylon, always think where it will go if it snaps, and put in something like chain to deaden the recoil.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #44  
I've got lots of these now after the latest storm. Do I hire out, or do I toss a lead over the branch to see if i can pull it out? What is the best way to "rope" a high branch?

Is the tree dead or just a few branches? Most likely the answer is cut the entire tree if dead, if not then hire an arborist. If the tree is really far away from anything valuable and you ahve hundreds of feet of rope to get you out of the danger zone..maybe. Putting tension on a limb and snapping it can cause all kinds of stuff to fly off and around.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #45  
According to the laws of gravity, what goes up, must come down last time I checked.

Reminds me of a time long ago when we sliced the top off an old oxygen bottle and drilled a hole in the bottom and put a wad of black powder in the bottom with a cannon fuse and dropped a bowling ball down the cylinder and ignited the powder. The bowling ball went completely out of sight but I know it landed somewhere. We leaned it up against a picnic table and upon ignition, the recoil drove the bottle a couple feet in the ground. What became of the bowling ball I have no Idea and candidly don't want to know but I sure it came down somewhere, hopefully not through someone's roof or on their car or on them. One time was enough for that. Besides, only had one bowling ball to launch.:rolleyes:

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #46  
Lots of them that look like this. They are most all maples that cracked off branchings at the crown. They are in areas we use. I'm thinking a long rope tossed up, tied and tethered to the tractor a good distance away. Then see if I can pull them off and down. This is just one, I have about seven others that look the same. I could just cut all the trees down, but I want to save them. None are near utilities or structures.
View attachment 855817

If the trees are missing crowns they wont really grow the same. I would cut them down to make room for the full trees.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #47  
Like I said previously, I just use one of my tractors and the loader bucket to push them over, so long as they are away from anything of value. If not, I call one of my arborist customers and have the deal with it.

We have quite a few deciduous trees surrounding the house that sometimes need trimmed or dead branches removed and I'm not about to do that, nit when I can have one of my customers do it with proper equipment and expertise. Maples are particularly good at dropping dead limbs that always seem to get hung up in the tree and require professional intervention and that ain't me at all.

Something about a High Ranger and hydraulic saw always impresses me.

I remember some years back, Rick took a huge leader off the popular tree in the front yard that was over the house and he was way, way up there sawing away and his crew was roping the cuts to the ground. Probably should have had him cut the darn thing completely down but my wife said no. All the wood from that went to my wood cutter buddy to split and sell to the local campgrounds. He's retired from his day job and uses the proceeds from his camp wood to supplement his Social Security. Not something I'd ever want to do anyway.

/ Pull down a high widow maker.
Trying to shoot off a widow maker is almost entirely ineffective. A friend of mine was an avid reloader. He would hand cast 12 ga lead balls then max out the power charges. I never let him load one of my guns. He was a little crazy. And I'd stand well back from him shooting. We had an entirely safe shooting area, down slope, with hill in back, to knock off some broken branches of which we were high above, all on my property. We didn't have any deer slugs. The snags we were trying to break off were maybe 4 inch diameter. We shot all day with no fallen limbs. A blunt instrument like a 12 ga ball; there were so many misses, and other smaller cal bullets didn't seem to do anything to wood: they just go through. I don't think even hollow points worked.

Last edited:
   / Pull down a high widow maker.
More survey, and every maple, all of them, have a snag somewhere. Most are very small, 2 inch dia.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #50  
We shot all day with no fallen limbs. A blunt instrument like a 12 ga ball; there were so many misses, and other smaller cal bullets didn't seem to do anything to wood: they just go through. I don't think even hollow points worked.
But it always works in the movies! :)