Pull down a high widow maker.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #52  
Interesting that you, Blue Knife would think that a fellow tractor owner who you don't know would shoot at the tree up in the air. We always aim level or down at the base from a direction that gives us a good backstop. The Mauser will penetrate about 14" of oak with surplus ammo A MN maybe 12'.

Not going to stand under a tree that is intertwined with another and broken at the base. and hope that I can predict which way it will fall or jackknife.
The only prerequisite to being a "fellow tractor owner" is the ability to pay for one. It has nothing to do with a person's competence or knowledge of gun safety or ballistics. Good to know that you aren't shooting up in the air. As someone who took down hazardous trees for a living for a couple decades, I can't imagine any scenario where shooting at the base of a hung up tree or branch would make sense, unless the intent is purely recreational (which is a fine reason).

/ Pull down a high widow maker.
I use Mule Tape. I love this stuff. It doesn't snap back in any way if it breaks and you can just double, triple up, if you need more pulling strength.

It was all day today, picking up little dry sticks, and piling them on, thinking they would get the wood piles going. Then diesel and gas as a starter. This should have worked. It didn't take. I'm doing something wrong, but so is everyone else. Cause they can't get anything started either. Some one suggested I get some old tires. Not there yet. And can someone in the know, explain what a "swamp fire" pile is and how to make one.
:)

Last edited:
   / Pull down a high widow maker. #57  
I'm doing something wrong, but so is everyone else. Cause they can't get anything started either.
Start a fire with dry wood, then put the wet wood on it once it's burning well and has a good bed of coals.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #58  
Last brush pile I burned had coals so hot and deep that it was hard to put them out. Wasn't leaving them burning overnight unattended. I ended up buying a HF 2" semi trash pump and 2" water lines to make sure I can quickly extinguish the next pile with creek water.

I've heard of folks using a shop vac, reversed to blow, to help start. I should try that. Right now, I just want a napalm flame thrower. :)