Pull down a high widow maker.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #61  
Use dryer lint as tinder. If necessary use a tin can with diesel poured over the dryer lint or dirt. You need some dry material to get it started still but a little should be good.

/ Pull down a high widow maker.
Great info guys! My mistake was I built up the piles first. I should have started the fires and then built on top of them.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #63  
Trying to shoot off a widow maker is almost entirely ineffective. A friend of mine was an avid reloader. He would hand cast 12 ga lead balls then max out the power charges. I never let him load one of my guns. He was a little crazy. And I'd stand well back from him shooting. We had an entirely safe shooting area, down slope, with hill in back, to knock off some broken branches of which we were high above, all on my property. We didn't have any deer slugs. The snags we were trying to break off were maybe 4 inch diameter. We shot all day with no fallen limbs. A blunt instrument like a 12 ga ball; there were so many misses, and other smaller cal bullets didn't seem to do anything to wood: they just go through. I don't think even hollow points worked.
About 20 years ago, I had Starband satellite for internet -- that's not Starlink that's Starband, and it was really fast compared to dialup but had really high latency (~700K up and down, 3/4 second latency each direction).

A tree branch about 3" diameter gradually grew in to the line of sight; I perforated it with a .22 and it swung down. Took 5 years for the broken part to drop, but most importantly its greenery was out of the way for the satellite signal (that satellite system used a geostationary satellite).

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #65  
About a year and a half ago. One pine - just outside the yard - blew over. It fell into other pines and was leaning at a 45 degree angle. It's 18 inches - diameter at the base. I was going to saw it down but I thought - what the heck - it's current position is not endangering anything. Let Mother Nature bring it down.

Today it's leaning at about a 20 to 25 degree angle.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #66  
Remember, if you are pulling with any kind of rope except Dacron, you will be dealing with a lot of stretch. If something breaks, the rope will come right at you, so fast you can hardly see it.(Don't ask how I know this).

Put about 20 feet of chain about 3/8 size between your rope and the attachment point on the tractor. If the rope breaks, the chain will instantly drop on the ground and direct the rope down so it misses you. Otherwise, the rope will snap back and hit the attachment point on the tractor(and anything near it, like $150. grilles, or you) really hard.

When using a rope, if it stretches at all, especially nylon, always think where it will go if it snaps, and put in something like chain to deaden the recoil.
My dad could tell you all about hooking rope and chain together. 35 stitches in the head and $12000 in repairs on his tractor. Yes you should pray that the rope is what lets go.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #67  
My buddy came over and took down my widow maker. He did not want to be paid but gave him $40. Cheap "insurance" for me...who might have got hurt with my ignorance. He did not cut it the way I would have, but his way worked.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #68  
I've heard of folks using a shop vac, reversed to blow, to help start. I should try that. Right now, I just want a napalm flame thrower. :)
I start all my outdoor burning with a tiger torch and leaf blower. Too lazy to cut dry wood into kindling.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #69  
My dad could tell you all about hooking rope and chain together. 35 stitches in the head and $12000 in repairs on his tractor. Yes you should pray that the rope is what lets go.
I started to pull on a tree once with a bunch of chains to get some distance. I then thought about what could happen and stopped, wasn't worth it.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #70  
I just use some chunk charcoal and one of those chimney coal starters and some newspapers and it works every time. Even if the pile is established you can carve out an alcove for the charcoal. I have an old handle-less shovel I place under the pile then dump the red hot coals on it, (used to have an old sign that rusted out). Then just drag some of the pile over it and it will dry it out then you get a good fire.