Refueling

/ Refueling #41  
Thats real close to the prices down here. In GA off road is an even $1.00 from the truck, probably .95 or less self serve. In AL the service station charges $1.13, I hope the oil company in Oxford can beat that if I pick it up. Farm is in Alabama, home is in Georgia. That .13 makes a differance for my volume.

/ Refueling #42  
Chief - That's a pretty nice setup.

Had the oppertunity to refill for the first time this weekend. Took the big yellow 5 gallon plastic wally world special jug down to the local Exxon and loaded up. That was my first mistake. Put the jug in the back of the SUV. That was my second mistake. Dove VERY slowly back to the farm (only thing I did right). Tried to pour 5 gallons of Diesel into the fuel container without spilling any - I don't think that's even possible! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anyway, got most of the 5 gallons in and only spilled a little. But it's quite obvious that there are better ways.

My local fill'em up station is about 2 and a half miles from the farm. The highway isn't a real busy road and it has a nice wide shoulder - so, what do you guys think about just driving over next time? In high gear I should be able to do 15 mph or so. Maybe take 10 minutes to drive over - 5 to filler up and pay for the fuel - 10 to drive back. Total time out and back should be less than 30 minutes. The trip by SUV was quicker, but the smell of the Diesel in the back wasn't pretty. Had to drive back with the windows down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think I'd really prefer to install a refueling station at the farm. Just got to cost justify with the CFO! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Refueling #43  
Now t that is a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Refueling #44  
Casimir,

How fast is your method with the TSC hand pump?

/ Refueling #45  
I'm not Casimir so I can't speak for him, but I have the same pump Han-D Pump from TSC. On my New Holland TC24 I only have a 5.3 gallon tank. Since I haven't let it go below 1/4 tank I usually only have to pump about 3 1/2 gallons. I'm usually just there leisurely pumping as so far I've been talking to someone while doing it and it might take 2 - 3 minutes. Which isn't that much slower than pouring straight from the can't as the can I have is one of those "self-venting" and doesn't have the little air hole. Doesn't pour real fast. W/o having counted the pumps I would say maybe 20 - 30. Quite a bit of gas - ooops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif diesel comes out w/ each pump. I was really surprised how well this thing worked. Usually the cheap aproach doesn't work very well. Would I want to fill one of the big boys up with a 50 gallon tank, but for my little 24 it works great.

/ Refueling #46  
<font color="blue"> what do you guys think about just driving over next time? </font>

Remember, If you're on the tractor going to get fuel, it's seat time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, If you're in the SUV it's a chore /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Besides you'll get to enjoy the scenery more from the tractor seat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

I feel really lucky about my situation. The closest station is about 3/8 mile around an unpaved road and the pumps are set up so I never have to leave the platform to fuel up, so no question about hauling fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Refueling #47  
Well I have to admit, "driving over" sure was tempting this weekend. Ran out of fuel TWICE! Now that's seat time. Went and bought a second yellow can so I wouldn't have to put quite so much fuel in each. Then went and spilled diesel all over the can when I glanced up to check the gallons on the pump! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif As you can tell, I don't usually refill from cans. Anyway, after cleaning up the "fuel spill" - and feeling quite glad that I was in a truck instead of the SUV - I then went and spilled diesel all over the tractor on the second can! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Needless to say, when I ran out this morning I figured I had done enough damage and went home. I'll tackle the refill when I go back next weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Refueling #48  
Sounds like a candidate for a han-d-pump /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. If you've ran out that many times, you are getting in some serious seat time /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif .

/ Refueling #49  
I've never driven the tractors to refuel at the local gas station (about 3/4 mile away), but I have used their self serve car wash bays to take advantage of their soapy pressure washers. They came in real handy when I buried the 8N up to the rear axle in mud. Had to wash it all off somehow...

You get some strange looks when you're in the car wash bay with a tractor and the guy in the next bay over is washing his BMW!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Make sure you bring plenty of quarters though!

/ Refueling #50  
Andy, that's a pretty good idea. Here I was looking at pressure washers and wondering how to get that one past the CFO! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As it turns out, there's a car wash bay just down from the station. Oh, in Yoakum, there's no need to worry about a BMW in the next bay (unless maybe they're lost). Heck, they look at my Isuzu Tropper SUV like it's from outer space or something. No telling what they would do if I showed up in the Porsche! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif