ROPS question - intended design?

/ ROPS question - intended design? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Are ROPS designed to support the weight of the entire tractor if it were to flip completely upside-down, OR are ROPS designed essentially to keep the machine from flipping any further than on it's side? OR, does it vary by mfg? The ideal answer would be both, but I'd imagine that's not necessarily the case. Thoughts?

Thx,
Dave

/ ROPS question - intended design? #3  
Dave from what I've read the ROPS should stop the tractor frm rolling completely on its top, but the ROPS is also supposed to be able to bear the weight of the tractor and possible implements should it flip or roll to its top side. The fed gov sites have some federal rules that you can look at. I can't find the url but that is where I read them.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #4  
Lets not forget backflips.

Soundguy

/ ROPS question - intended design?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Lets not forget backflips.

Soundguy )</font>

Ya know, that's in interesting point. What are the factors that determine how likely to get the tractor pop a wheelie and continue on over until it's upside down? I'm pretty positive there's no way on earth I could get my current Power-trac to backflip, because it has small wheels (vs. a traditional tractor), the center of gravity is very low, long wheelbase, and the rear end extends out quite a bit. I gave my dad an old Murray 11hp riding mower last week, over 12 years old, but almost in new shape. Dropping the clutch in 3rd gear would actually make that thing pop a wheelie! I could see it back-flipping without too much difficulty going up a hill.

So, I'd imagine having a high center of gravity, lots of torque, and a short wheelbase are characteristics that would create a propensity to back-flip. Thoughts?

Would an implement on the back help stall a backflip if it started, or would the extra weight increase the propensity to backflip?

Dave

/ ROPS question - intended design? #6  
The 3pt hitch was partially designed to stall a back flip, as long as it was properly connected. Kinda hard to roll back if your box blade ( etc ) hits as soon as the front wheel is a foot off the ground.. etc.

As hard as it may seem.. I've seen things like dozers and front end loader flip back on a hill.. usually as a part of a roll, or if the hillside gave way.. but I've personally seen it.. etc.

Soundguy

/ ROPS question - intended design? #7  
Alot of rollover deaths are due attaching an object to a point on a tractor above the rear axle such as where the toplink mounts.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 3pt hitch was partially designed to stall a back flip, as long as it was properly connected.)</font>

Sorry, but I have to take issue with that statement. The 3pt was not designed to stall a backflip. Not that it couldn't, if you are lucky enough to have the proper implement attached, but it was not designed as a safety feature. I consider my 3pt properly attached, even if it is empty. It was designed to do work, raise and lower implements, etc. On the other hand, the ROPS was designed as a safety device that will stall a backflip.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #9  
Soundguy,

I have a semi-mount 4 bottom plow I pull behind my 4020 J.D. The semi-mount does not use the toplink - only attaches to the lift arms and has a trailing wheel.
Going uphill with the plow in the ground, the implement will help pull the tractor over backwards /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif if it catches on something (or I have it too deep). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just a thought I had while reading your comment.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry, but I have to take issue with that statement. The 3pt was not designed to stall a backflip )</font>

Go back and do some research back to around the late 30's. I'll point you inthe right direction.. Harry Ferguson.

Big issues with drawn plows hooking roots and rocks, and the tractor backflipping. enter the 3pt draft sensing hydraulics.. that same plow, setup as a 3pt unit, can avoid the obstacle.

Yes.. it was designed for utility.. and also as a safety 'enhancement'.

Also, look at the geometry. Put a standard plow or box blade ont he 3pt. Lift 3pt to max travel, now tip tractor back till box blade is level onthe ground. What angle is the tractor nose at? It's a low angle. The tractor really can't backflip unless you have a failure of some part of the 3pt frame. That effectively stalls the backflip. Draw it out on paper.. look at the angles.. prove it wrong..

Soundguy