ROPS question - intended design?

/ ROPS question - intended design? #41  
This thread seems to be headed in two directions, but c'est la vie.

I have to report to Henro and txhawg that I had a little wake up call today and immediately thought of them. Henro's "unexpected" post hit home with me before I started my day. In addition, I was doing some soul searching on being too cocky about things that I could control as long as I was paying attention. Both of those points aside, I hooked up my MX-5 rotary cutter this morning and headed into my woods for some high density path clearing.

The first part of the story starts with my purchase a few days ago of a John Deere iMatch quick hitch. It came with one set of bushings and the "good ol' boy" salesman at my dealership told me, "Nobody uses those -- just hook up to the pins the way they are." I decided not to take his advice and bought some bushings for all the implements I intended on using with the iMatch. Unfortunately, when I tried them yesterday, they were the wrong inside diameter. This morning, I tossed off the problem by recalling salesman Rob's advise to just hook to the pins. So, I headed off into the woods with a 65hp rotary cutter loosely connected to my tractor and my ROPS folded. About 2 hours into the morning, I was getting pretty comfortable with what I could knock down and chop up. There's quite a bit of deadfall in my woods, and I had developed a method to deal with it. If it was in my path, I would drive over it, and then when the cutter got close, I would lift the cutter to pass over the deadfall and continue on my normal line of travel. That worked just fine until I hit a log just a little bigger than the others and close to some smaller logs and all of it on just a bit of a slope. As I glanced back to check the cutter, I saw the pins pop out of the iMatch and the rotary cutter set down on top of the 8 inch deadfall log spinning at full speed. Luckily, it set down on the stump jumper and I hit the brakes and the PTO switch before I pulled the drive line apart. After 10 or 15 minutes fooling around trying to get the hitch reattached with it and my tractor setting at odd angles on top of this log pile I remembered my own words here about common sense. I unhooked the drive line and drove back to the barn for a chain to move some of the deadfall. I was lucky.

After I got it back together, I started thinking about Henro's "unexpected" and decided try a new approach. Despite lots of low hanging obstacles, I put up the ROPS, hooked up the driveline again and headed back for more. In the mid afternoon, I decided to try the seatbelt, too. It wasn't as bad as I envisioned and used it the rest of the day.

Even in low range, low speed, things -- bad things -- can happen awfully quick. I think I'll quit whining about my ROPS and learn to live with it. I'm going bushing shopping tomorrow, too.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #42  
<font color="blue"> I think I'll quit whining about my ROPS and learn to live with it. </font>
Thank You. Not for stopping the whining, but for using ROPS and belt. The bar has caught a widow maker on more than one occasion, but I have been real lucky. I don't work in the woods very much anymore.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #43  
Soundguy,
I agree 100%, but was a day late reading the thread (typical for me ...a day late & a dollar short ).
You got it right, even if saftey was not the original intent, with that top link bar hooked up to a box blade or rotary cutter, it would have to help prevent backend roll over.

Jeff,
Glad to hear you 'saw the light' before you or your equiptment was damaged. Henro is good at making us all think about things a little differently. Good job Henro.

Moon of Ohio

/ ROPS question - intended design? #44  
Jeff,

Not only can stuff happen quick on a tractor - running equipment in the woods can add to the excitement factor. Take a look at Kevin's post from last year.

Thank God for ROPS

If you don't have one already, invest the couple of bucks in a hardhat. Couldn't hurt. It may not stop everything, and it may be at times annoying but if you search here on TBN for "widow maker" and the like you'll gain new respect for your woods.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #45  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I'll quit whining about my ROPS and learn to live with it. )</font>

Jeff,

It sometimes takes a situation like that to change the way you think. We all like to think we are smarter than average, and indestructible, but the truth is our intelligence (or arrogance) while one of our greatest strengths is also one of our greatest weaknesses. I am glad you came around. I am sure your family appreciates it too.

I know you all think I'm like the safety nazi here. I think I have had trouble in getting my point across. Henro and Indy seem to have put it in a way that was a little less annoying. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Thank you both.

On a side note, that MX5 is great, isn't it? Mine impresses me more every time I use it. You should also start a new thread on the Imatch bushing thing. I have been considering an Imatch myself, so it would be of interest to me.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #46  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .... You should also start a new thread on the Imatch bushing thing. I have been considering an Imatch myself, so it would be of interest to me.)</font>

I will once it is resolved. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Still trying to find enough of the right bushings.

/ ROPS question - intended design? #47  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Jeff,

Not only can stuff happen quick on a tractor - running equipment in the woods can add to the excitement factor. Take a look at Kevin's post from last year.

Thank God for ROPS

If you don't have one already, invest the couple of bucks in a hardhat. Couldn't hurt. It may not stop everything, and it may be at times annoying but if you search here on TBN for "widow maker" and the like you'll gain new respect for your woods. )</font>

Kevin's post is what prompted me to build my FOPS

Attachments

• 654148-DSC00156.JPG
    654148-DSC00156.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 81
   / ROPS question - intended design? #48  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Read this and this. Please don't rely on pucker factor as a preventive measure.
)</font>

Thanks Guys-- and no my post was not a joke, nor was it intended to poke fun at anyone. Just to inform and get people thinking. I am 54 and have been using tractors since I was 8 (a Ford 8N, york raking, bucket loading and snowplowing mostly). I flipped my Dad off the back york raking up a hill when I was 9 or 10. Luckily he didn't get hurt too bad. Bad clutch/throttle coordination on my part...Cockpit error as we like to call those types of problems. I have rolled 4 tractors over the years. (not counting the ones I have seen rolled in lab environments) Since then I became an engineer and the teams I have been on have shipped many million products. We see many many weird accidents. I can't even tell you how many products I have been around have been misapplied and the bizare accidents that have been caused. Yes we feel bad every time someone gets hurt (or killed) with one of our products. We listen to feedback, read ALL safety reports and try to make our products safer.

Do I find ROPs a pain in the a**. You bet I do. several times I have been wipped in the head with branches and whole trees that have been snagged. (and I especially like the snowdown my back when it hits overhanging pine trees bowed down with snow) A couple of times I needed a second tractor and chain saw to cut out a 3-4 " tree that was snagged through the rops and loader frame. Do I wear my seatbelt? Hardly ever!!! But I most certainly do when I am doing anything likely to cause an overturn. Read the articles and be safe.

Thanks for listening.

Andy

Andy