SCUT's with backhoes

/ SCUT's with backhoes #131  
Well I got the Harbor Freight Trencher/Backhoe thingy ordered just now and I also ordered 2 extra axles and hub assemblies for it so I can move it around easier, I will pick up some good premium 303/33 hydraulic fluid and run the motor with Valvoline 10-30 (my oil of choice) and when the axle and hubs get here I will go find some wheels, more then likely I will get wider wheels like on a snowmobile trailer, I have a hitch extender already and a 2” coupler I will put on rather then the 1-7/8 it comes with, I will also get 4 extra washers for the hub assembly to help take the runout out of them(seen it on a video) and lastly I will put four good 3/4 x 4 inch pins in for the down riggers and axles so the holes do not get rounded out.

I found a complete ROPS off a JD 1025R on Craigslist for 75.00, it is brand new with lights and tool box, guy removed it and put a cab on his scut and I could not pass up the price, the lights alone are probably 125-150 bucks.

Well that’s about it, it only took me a few years to do this and now I wait for a call from the freight terminal and hopefully that will be late next week.

Premium 303 oil is a contradiction in terminology. The original 303 formula is obsolete and illegal to make due to the whale oil ingredient required. Latter day 303 oil as marketed today is so inferior that its sale has been banned in NC, MO and possibly other states.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #132  
Premium 303 oil is a contradiction in terminology. The original 303 formula is obsolete and illegal to make due to the whale oil ingredient required. Latter day 303 oil as marketed today is so inferior that its sale has been banned in NC, MO and possibly other states.

What I got was Farm Ranch premium trans-hydraulic, I seen a video where the guy had 303 and said 33 was ok but I read somewhere that that is a single weight oil like 30w where the premium trans-hydraulic is more like a 10w30, the owners manual does not say exactly what hydraulic fluid to use and when I was at the store the premium trans-hydraulic is what I figured would work, I am still reading to see if anything else comes up but since I had to go to town I thought I would pick some oil up.

If anyone else has any hydraulic fluid suggestions I am open to them after all this is all new to me, never have had to add or buy hydraulic oil/fluid before.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #133  

Yep. We no longer get it here. I used quite a bit of it.

Things like this really tan my hide. But hey, it's life.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #134  
They had this in the store but in a video that I watched where the guy was repairing his valves said the cheap fluid is probably what caused the issueS and said not to use it in the HF Trencher, he said go with a better premium fluid.

6AFCBDB6-4F5D-491D-A1DF-E5AD58D0BE1F.png

/ SCUT's with backhoes #135  
Lot of talk about the Traveller Premium if you have a TSC store nearby. Put it in mine last time.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #136  
Lot of talk about the Traveller Premium if you have a TSC store nearby. Put it in mine last time.

That’s what I would like to put in mine but the TSC is about 64 miles from me so I am going to give this Farm & Ranch Premium Trans -Hydraulic fluid a try, paid 46-48.00 dollars for it, I am thinking it is like the Traveller Premium.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #138  

I get the one that is Kubota SUDT rated (because we have Kubotas), but that should be good for most anything (ie: HST pumps, wet brakes/clutches, valves, hydraulic pumps, etc) and it's a more modern standard than many of the older obsolete standards (like the 303 standard) that are on many containers of hydraulic fluid.

Aaron Z

/ SCUT's with backhoes #139  
This is why I like this forum, a person can sure learn a lot of stuff and it is a great place to double check things.

aczlan brought up Kubota and with that I was thinking of using what my Massey dealer uses in the GC tractors which costs about 48.00 for 5 gallons. Good enough for my Massey should be good enough for the HF Trencher.

/ SCUT's with backhoes #140  

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0469.JPG