Setup for maintaining 5 acres

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #41  
What I was doing was playing devils advocate with my lawn tractor posts, but it proves a point that it could be done that way. One of the things we are all guilty of is pushing what we have in our own garages/barns. This guy likes grey, that guy orange and someone else blue or green or red. Will a grey market do the work? Yup. Is it better than an expensive new Blue or Green? Depends on a lot of things, some would say yes, others obviously will shout no.

As for an MTD lasting 3 years, I have seen them run 10+. In fact we have an MTD made "Craftsman" with a 4' snowblower on it at the office I work in and it is at least 12 years old and used to snowblow the parking lot, clean out shipping docks, etc.

As for the comment on adding the tiller, my point was in refernce to the plot he said he might have in a couple of years, I presumed that to be a garden plot.

As for recommendations, I will now weigh in with my actual opinion, given he has a strict budget I think he will have to give up a hyrdrostatic transmission and go with gears. For a mowing tractor that is not ideal. For mowing 3.5 acres, a sub-compact is ideal, but none of those come cheap. For some basic stuff on the other 1.5 acres and for grading the drive, a compact is a better choice than a sub compact because of about a dozen factors, but a sub-compact will do the job. . .excepting the price issue.

Price being overwhelming, I would suggest a small new compact from Jimna (under any of the brands they sell under) in the 18 to 20hp range, with TURF tires or maybe with R4s, but not AG tires. I would also recommend a good set of wrenches and sockets to keep the tractor tight as some of the posting about the Chinese tractors (from people who own them) say that keeping the bolts tight is an issue. Jimna does have a matching FEL, and I doubt he will need a heavier duty unit given property size. Standard 3pt and pto so he doesn't have to worry about that. Warrenty included . . . but I don't know who honors those warrenties so that might be the one deciding factor that knocks the tracker off the recommendation list.

His other viable option, based on his post was the local Kubota dealer, he will spend more but may get more piece of mind.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #42  
The warranty on the Jinma is certainly something to consider. They are getting a fair amount of dealers now. Looking at the prices thats no suprise. I gotta go look at one so I can see what I think in person instead of just statistics. Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #43  
You may have had a good MTD, but I have had bad luck with them. The old one the guy left here when he moved, I could see why. I was working on it all the time, mostly deck problems. Now MTD has bought Cub and a few others and cheapened them a lot. I bought a Yard Man, by wife liked its looks. 18 HP. I have had to replace the deck bearings about every year or two, now way to grease them. And cheap welds had to make a couple of parts, so I think the MTD is a bad choise at this time. They say Homier stands behind theirs real well they say. And so does Northern tool from what I hear.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #44  
Dick, your point about the MTD at my company being one of the good ones versus your bad luck with their Yard Man is why I think some of the posts on this forum push too hard to prove a point that what "I" have is better so listen to me.

My wife has a very nice 10 year old Cub Cadet 1862 garden tractor, it amazes me how many trees she can hit square on and still not dent that thing. She even hit the house. For my money it is the best built tractor I own and we used it to mow 6 acers for about 7 years, now the mowing duties get split between the Cub and a New Holland TC24D. We also use the Cub with a 54"(?) dual stage snow blower attached to the front to clear the driveway. From what I can tell, Cub Cadet has 2 levels of quality, a lower one sold at Lowe's hardware stores and a higher level sold through tractor dealers.

There are 100 ways to get the job done. Some easy. Some cheap. Some expensive. Some hard.

By the way, if I was you I'd put a ROPS on that grey market unit you own even if you live on flat land. You never know, it might just save your life sometime.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #45  
I understand the MTD bought the Cub Cadet a couple of years ago, so now it carries the Cub name, but is really a MTD. Of course MTD wasn't all that bad, as you say a few years ago, then I think they just got too big. You know, cheapen the product to make more money. As far as ROPS on my grey, well, it just cost too much, if they have to be special made, and they do, they charge you and arm and a leg. I grew up on a farm and we didn't have any idea what a ROPS was, and I used tractors for a lot of years without them, as there just weren't any such thing then. So at the price I would have to pay, even on my hills, 15% to 20%, I'm just careful how I work, and it is working for me..

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #46  
My Father bought a Cub cadet. It's been ok, except for front tires have been an issue. Always going flat, but the replacements seem to be holding out much better. The mmm belt keeps blowing, but I don't know how often. I am not a big fan of it.

I thought MTD was just making them for cub. On the side it states "Cub Cadet made by MTD" or something like that. Course the salesman said that MTD makes it to Cubs standards.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #47  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From what I can tell, Cub Cadet has 2 levels of quality, a lower one sold at Lowe's hardware stores and a higher level sold through tractor dealers )</font>

I can't say for sure whether you're right or not, but I was quite happy with a Cub Cadet from 1995 until 1999 when I traded it in on a B2710 Kubota. But then a year ago last Spring when I was looking again for a "riding mower", I looked at the Cub Cadets at Lowe's, then went to two Cub Cadet tractor dealers and the same model numbers were the same prices at all three places. I couldn't tell any difference in them.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #48  
I think what is happening with Cub Cadet/Lowes is the same thing that is happening with JD/Home Depot. They are selling the bottom line or the least expensive units. Some dealers handle theese and others do not. I was told by my dealer that if they sell the same lines as the hardware stores they must sell them for the same price and service them. I have heard a LOT of good things about Cub Cadets older models. It almost seemes they were the first Sub Cut maker. The newer ones I looked at in the larger series around 10k were VERY nice. For just a wee bit more you can squeek into one of thig names. One thing is for sure, most of us have a level that we are comfortable spending and the best deal in the world can be just a little bit more, which means little if you dont have or want to spend that much. Tractor supply co sells Cub Cadet here as well. Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #49  
I see you've had every type of answer from all possibilities from ZTR mowers, to a regular riding lawn mower.. to a small tractor.

I'll add my .02

The ZTR is expensive, comparably, especially since it is limited to only mowing... though gives the best mow job, and fastest time, if all you are cutting is grass. .. no brush.

The riding lawn mower ranges from about 800 for the economy 12 hp/40" cut models to upwards of 3500 for the feature ritch huskie, cub cadet, and sears models in the 20 something hp / 50" cut range. This adds some utility.. like pulling a cart, or very marginally effective blades / discs... I say marginally, as while you may push some snow with the blade.. or perhaps spread / smooth some gravel... you won't do -any- heavy ground engagement with it.. even with a 25 hp engine.... unit just is not heavy enough to make use of the hp.. you will loose traction before you run ot of hp.
Also... 3.5 ac may seem small.. but it is still going to be a all day job to cut with a riding lawnmower. It is a compromise between the utility of the tractor and the speed/quality of cut from the ZTR. And while thinking about those 6-7 hours a week of mowing.. even that heavy duty rider will wear out in a few years... My neighbor uses JD riding mowers... ( a really high end and pricey mower ) He's had 2 since I've lived near him.. and he mows about 3 ac.. once a week.

Tractor. brand and age will determin price. new brand name sub-compacts are still high.. perhaps 8000 range. used tractors open up possibilities, with prices as low as 2000 - 5000 for a variety of sizes and age. ( I've seen 105pto hp ford 8000's go for 4-5K at auctions and estate sales... ).
New non-name brand.. like a chineese tractor get you new, and lower price.. and less quality. New jinmas are in the 3-4K range for a 20hp 2wd machine.

Basically a tractor opens up the most options. Do good research before you spend the money. You would hate to sink 2-3k in a heavy duty lawnmower, and then find a year later you really needed a small tractor.

Just my .02... I own multiple tractors, and a rider lawnmower, and a 4' gas powered trail finish mower. I only mow with the tractors now...

Soundguy

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres
Well all, with all of your comments in hand I ordered my tractor.

I went with the NorTrac, I bought it from a Northern Tool wholesaler. I got a 25HP w/loader w/ ag tires, 6' finish mower, turf tires, and a 13,000 watt PTO generator for $12 something. That is a whole lot more for the money than the major brands would get me. As far as service and parts, Northern Tool has a large selection of parts on hand and they will work with your local serviceman on warrenty work.

Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know how it goes.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif