Setup for maintaining 5 acres

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #31  
Re: Setup for maintaining 5 acres *DELETED*

Post deleted by DocsKnotInn

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #32  
<font color="blue"> If you take a moment to read the initial post </font>

Actually, Docsknotinn...I did. And I reread the thread as well...and went back and tried to find the unplesant part...

And frankly, the only unplesant part I could find was your reference to an unplesant part!

Take it for what it's worth...I think the other posters were just giving honest opinions and were actually speaking in friendly tones...and trying to be helpful...

Your comments have me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #33  
You are confused because in point of fact I did NOT make any reference to a "unpleasant part". I believe I said I felt it was an attempt to get unpleasant. Referring by tense to the future not the past. To me THIS is unpleasant. Unnecessary, and at this point most likely irrelevant. None the less to any one I may have offended I sincerely apolagize.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #34  
Ok lets cut to the basics here. We are talking about mowing 3.5 acres. Cost is a big consideration. If we want to eliminate all our favorites, and if we want to take this down to the basics, the we are not talking about a real tractor. A MURRAY or an MTD purchased at the local hardware store will mow 3.5 acres. Further, if he needs to haul things then a $99 cart can be towed by the above said lawn toy tractor and that is much cheaper than a FEL. Generally safety is not an issue with a lawn toy tractor because no ground engaging equipment is used so tipping is virtually not an issue.

However, if we want to get back to the post about some different equipment, I simply tried to lay out, without too much bias, each of his options from antique to grey market to various types of new tractors from various nations with various features.

Regarding ROPS on flat land. People should have ROPS on every tractor regardless of terrain if they ever use any ground engaging equipment. I can flip my 2 ton antique Oliver just as easily as I can flip my little NH TC24D if I drop the plow and turn the wheel while moving. In fact, you would be amazed how quickly a tractor will flip over on flat land if something attached to your 3pt grabs ahold of the earth. People die when tractors flip, and they flip over when you don't expect them to. If I had a grey market tractor I would sure as hell put a ROPS on it if I was using it for anything that engaged the ground, or if I had a hill, or if I had a ditch, and even if I had a flat piece of land. As for ROPS on antiques, if I used it as a working tractor I'd put one on that too. My antique is used for parades on main street during holidays and pulling kids on hayrides. But if it "worked" it would have a ROPS.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #35  
Those are some good points. Especeially if the newer JD models or smaller mowers/garden tractors from Kubota or NH would be adequite as Garden tractor they might be in the correct price range with a new warranty and good financeing. There are a lot of pros Vs cons on the grays and many different views. I think they are a good buy for the right person but my own view is they are not the best choice for a first time buyer. For some one with a good working knowledge of tractors/mechanics and know exactly what they are looking at/buying yes. In my area there are many Gray market tractors that are current model production with all the safety features as US models. When the exchange rate is favorable some dealers here will go to Canada and buy current models and bring them here. Same tractor but not intended for the USA so no factory warranty. They can be a great buy. SOME of theese dealers offer a free warranty but you have to take it back to them for service. Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #36  
Sears sells MTD and similar lawn tractors for under $1000 with a mower deck & yard cart. Add a cat O rear blade for about $100 or less, for grading. Add a belt drive snow blower for $600. Add a gas powered pull behind tiller for $700. The whole set up is easily under $3000. Up the quality of the tractor a bit, add wheel weights and chains and he can still keep the price under $4000.

My question is why would he even want to spend that much on a tiller when he can get a rear tine MTD walk behind model for about $450. They are not used that often and he probably is not going to be gardening much more than a large garden and that can easily be done with a walk behind.

The question he had about AG tires tearing up his lawn is a non issue with a lawn tractor. And most grey's come with AG tires which he would not want to use when it is wet outside. Ditto the NorTrack (Jimna) with AG tires. If he wants an all around tire then the R4 Industrial is a nice compramise. But again, we are only talking about mowing 3.5 acres and we have a tight budget, so it could be argued that the lawn tractor from Sears still is a very viable option.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #37  
Sammy, I bet you are really confused now!

If you had it narrowed down to two or three tractors, that is good.
Go with the one you like, but I would say the dealer is just as important as the tractor.

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #38  
Hambone, I coundln't agree more. Its far harder to find a great dealer than a great tractor. I dont know about his intended use for a tiller. I can say this. Last year I bought and sold A BCS tiller. Walk behind. It was a killer machine. but for a little more I bought my tiller for the tractor. I can till in a fraction of the time. I did not go back and read the anticipated cost but I would certainly agree that on the lawn and garden tractors with the sleeve hitch that type of tiller would work just fine for a small home garden. Home Depot had the scotts on clearance (25 hp ??) made by JD for around $2300. You might find one of those left. On the Flip side I was recently talking to my dealer who said he had a guy buy a 4310 exclisevely for moweing 2 acres. Thats 2 acres minus a 5,000 sq' home, 4 car garage, land scapeing. pool, drive way etc. So go figure, lol. I suppose to each his own and as another member recently said to me the only bad tractor is one that isn't running ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #39  
Yes he could get a MTD, and with good luck with it, it might last maybe 3 or 4 years, then he could start all over again. Come on lets be real, the guy asked a question, why give him all this static???? Homiers had their tractors here with turf tires on them. The guy wants a tractor, that is what he asked about, not a toy, that won't last. If you want to bicker why don't you start a bicker post somewhere, instead of just making it hard on the guy that asked a question and wants an answer???? Do you have something against him or what??

/ Setup for maintaining 5 acres #40  
I have never had a MTD or a "lawn" tractor for that matter so I cant speak about them. I can say after re reading the initial post that he clearly states he wants a full catagory 1 hitch which certainly will not be an option on a lawn tractor, excepting those that are VERY expensive like the JD X series. One of the questions the origional post asked was the difference between a Sub-Compact and a Compact. I am not sure that has been addressed other than by Neophyte. I think one difference is that most sub-compacts come with a limited catagory 1 hitch Vs a Full catagory 1. The pin size is the same but the lift height is shorter on the sub compact. This Limits your choices of implements. That is something to consider when looking at Jinma as I personally do not know how they are rated. Looking back at it all it might be more helpfull if we had a $ amount that was actually a comfort level for the potential buyer. I did not see any mention of a tiller but maybe I missed it. In regards to quality you can see that is wildly speculative and a very individual choice. Dave