Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,012  

*mild shock*

Besides this being about a 30 year old truck

Counting concrete bags, on that stack at the (truck) front right - 7 layers, 10 bags each; same stack on the left side, and a 5-stack behind it -- that's 190 bags.

I can't tell if those are 60's or 80's; if they're 60's, that's 11400 pounds of concrete

The cab&chassis had a capacity of ~9500#, of which some of that's taken by the flatbed and and toolbox
Leaving him probably 3k overloaded

If those are 80# bags, that's 7k overloaded

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,014  
I'm guessing here but where the pallet is located, there might be another pallet on the other side. Plus the one in the rear....
Agreed. The one on the rear really wouldn't have contributed to that particular failure, but if there were a second hiding behind that one placed toward the front of the bed...

Obviously age / corrosion played a role, as the frame should withstand static loads several times higher than the weight rating of the vehicle, as would be required to handle that load while bouncing down the road.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,015  
Agreed. The one on the rear really wouldn't have contributed to that particular failure, but if there were a second hiding behind that one placed toward the front of the bed...

Obviously age / corrosion played a role, as the frame should withstand static loads several times higher than the weight rating of the vehicle, as would be required to handle that load while bouncing down the road.
One in the front/center and two over the axle could have let it survive...

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,016  
Problem with those pallets, is how to unload them. I have never seen forks that rotate to the angle to be able to lift the pallet. I think someone has to unload them by hand. Jon

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,017  
Problem with those pallets, is how to unload them. I have never seen forks that rotate to the angle to be able to lift the pallet. I think someone has to unload them by hand. Jon
Truck owner's problem. I've never been to a building supply where you don't pay before they load your truck. :D

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,018  
They make them. I operated a rough terrain forklift for a while, hauling scrap to the scrap pile from various buildings at the plant I worked at.

Pull the lever and the forks would start turning in circles and stop where ever I needed them to.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,019  
They make them. I operated a rough terrain forklift for a while, hauling scrap to the scrap pile from various buildings at the plant I worked at.

Pull the lever and the forks would start turning in circles and stop where ever I needed them to.
Probably not at box stores, though. Understand it is truck owners problem. Jon

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,020  
Assuredly it is the trucker (or his company, or his insurer) that is on the hook for the costs. The recovery (towing) company that will have to remove the truck probably has jacks or hoists capable of raising the bed to near level; the yard that loaded the truck obviously has a fork lift that can handle the pallets, so a RT forklift may not be necessary. Hopefully the incident occurred close enough to the yard that the FL can travel to the scene.