Should I "Upgrade"?

/ Should I "Upgrade"?
The only thing I don't like is it is fairly lightweight and has trouble hauling decent sized logs out of the woods with me cutting them in 8ft or so size sections.

Are the rear tires on your current tractor filled 50% to 75% with liquid?

Are you dragging logs using chains from the rear/center drawbar to the load, or using chains from a Three Point Hitch cross drawbar to the load? (Which?)

I'd like to add a grapple to it, but with a quick attach bucket or 3rd function I'm looking at about $2,500 to swap over to that setup minus grapple.

What about much simpler clamp-on pallet forks? If you just want to carry tree trunks occasionally clamp-on pallet forks are fine. You are using your tractor
This firm makes very high quality medium-duty clamp-on pallet forks with capacity matched to your current tractor for $649 delivered:

I use a 3 point boom and log tongs. The issue is mainly up inclines and the fact I have to drag them 1/2 to 3/4 mile to get them back to the house.

The pallet forks would be sufficient except I need to also have the ability to grab piles of random debris.

/ Should I "Upgrade"?
They also don't have a 60hp tractor and their closest models don't have HST. IfI go to a power shuttle it will be on a utility tractor and not a compact utility.

/ Should I "Upgrade"?
They also don't have a 60hp tractor and their closest models don't have HST. IfI go to a power shuttle it will be on a utility tractor and not a compact utility.
This was in reference to Branson. Tapatalk didn't grab the quote for some reason.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #16  
I use a 3 point boom and log tongs. The issue is mainly up inclines and the fact I have to drag them 1/2 to 3/4 mile to get them back to the house.

FULL ANSWERS, please.

Are you carrying TPH counterbalance when using the FEL for heavy loads?

If your tires are spinning going up hill, meaning loss of traction, you need more weight or forestry tires or possibly tire chains.

If tires are not spinning, your HST may be pooping out. Check your HST/hydraulic fluid. Some tractor brands HSTs transfer engine power to the wheels more efficiently than other brands. A power shuttle gear tractor will transfer engine power to the wheels more effeciently than an HST hydraulic power transfer (pump) system.

Last edited:
   / Should I "Upgrade"? #18  
This was in reference to Branson. Tapatalk didn't grab the quote for some reason.
They have the 5520 (55HP) both shuttle shift or HST, also Cab or ROPS. Then they have the 5835R (58HP), which is indeed a power shuttle.

/ Should I "Upgrade"? #19  
The pallet forks would be sufficient except I need to also have the ability to grab piles of random debris.

Then consider round-tine manure forks, sold under different names, one name being ULTRA FORKS. Round-tines sieve dirt.

Last edited:
   / Should I "Upgrade"?
FULL ANSWERS, please.

Are you carrying TPH counterbalance when using the FEL for heavy loads?

If your tires are spinning going up hill, meaning loss of traction, you need more weight or forestry tires or possibly tire chains.

If tires are not spinning, your HST may be pooping out. Check your HST/hydraulic fluid. Some tractor brands HSTs transfer engine power to the wheels more efficiently than other brands. A power shuttle gear tractor will transfer engine power to the wheels more effeciently than an HST hydraulic power transfer (pump) system.
Should I type my answers in caps as well?

Tires are not filled, but should be. I don't need a counter balance on the 3 point hitch when I stated my issue is pulling logs with a 3 point hitch boom. Yes, weight is added to the FEL when there is a significant weight on the rear.

The tires are spinning. It is a lack of traction on the front end when climbing an incline...mainly out of sandy creeks.

The weight of the Mahindra is not significantly more, but that is all it takes sometimes depending on the weight of the log. The fact that the FEL has a higher weight rating would allow more counter balance weight as well. While it won't be a significantly noticeable difference it is still worth considering.

You're also right that it isn't the greatest time to negotiate a deal on a tractor. However, it is a great time to make a purchase when you need a tax deduction to offset your farm profits.