Sliding doors for Pole Barn

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #1  

taem

Tractor
Jd2240,Case IH 75C,Jd2750
Doing preliminary research on building a 40x60 pole barn machine shed to store haying equipment. It will be nothing fancy: metal roof over OSB and metal siding nailed to 2x6 ribbing on utility poles no interior finish. I've been thinking about 14'w by 12'h at each end to allow drive through of my equipment. I don't think overhead doors are in the budget and I was thinking of site built sliding door, metal over wood frame. Here's my question, and a request for any other suggestions: Is there a way to mount the doors inside the building frame and slide to a stop on the post? I live in heavy snow country Vermont-Canadian border and have quite a tussle with the other sliding doors on my barn in the winter. When I search for this, I get mostly pictures of inside dwellings, not farm buildings. Obviously I will lose a little inside space on the gable end, but that would be offset by not having to deal with the doors freezing to ground or having shovel constantly. If this is a bad idea,please tell me why.

Second question, less important,but still interesting: I have seen the aluminum faced bubble insulation touted a way to keep from having the underside of the roof sweat. I appreciate that the true insulating value of the stuff is low (one u tuber says it's only good use is to make halloween costumes for your kids) but I wonder if having the reflective and vapor barrier there is worth the trouble and cost (maybe $1800 for my project) in what will be cold building with a certain amount of air flow.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #2  
I don't know of any reason why the track and rollers can't be on the inside. It's just a matter of reversing things a bit.

That said, the track, rollers and associated hardware aren't inexpensive either. I'm looking for a way to do them without spending $400 or so just in hardware for each door.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #3  
Just make sure your door is fully open on a windy day. I have a slider at each end and the one on the prevailing downwind side will start to flip out like a pet door. There are bottom retainer rollers you can but but in my situation they weren't going to work real well. I used a hook/lever style latch on each side. Shop around for the trolleys, track and hangers as prices were all over the place. Lowes had cheap trolleys but a small town hardware store had better prices on the track.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #4  
The building sweats because of condensation that forms under the metal during temperature changes between inside and outside. By laying your metal over OSB, you pretty much eliminate this. You still need good air ventilation because condensation can still form under the OSB, but it's not going to be as noticeable. With OSB, you absolutely have to have a water barrier under the metal/over the OSB, to deal with the condensation that forms under the metal. Since this is such a small air space, it's also going to be minimal, but you have to have a way to deal with it. Just don't be surprised if you see water coming out from your roof when it's not raining.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #5  
I have drive through sliders. In my situation, I wouldn't want it on the inside as I use all the interior wall space that I have. Plus, I have a mezzanine that runs the length of the building, so that wouldn't work either. So should you have plans for either, it would nix an inside slider. If you didn't need it for snow load, I would skip the OSB and use the insulation wrap/ barrier to control condensation.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #6  
^^^^^^ agreed!

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #7  
All said and done you might as well get the OH doors. All the sliders I have ever built or seen have been nothing more than large kites in a windy situation. I built some large pole barns for my BIL for his lumber business, we were constantly fixing the doors or worse yet picking them back up off the ground and rehanging them.
I would think twice about putting OSB on the roof too. Seems like a waste of resources to me, run 2x4 strapping/purlins and apply the metal roofing right to it. As long as your eaves are vented properly condensation shouldn't be a huge issue.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #8  
To prevent door kite situation you probably need to have tracks in floor for bottoms of doors to run in, BUT with dragging implements and such though door way you are going to fill tracks with mud and dirt and that will make it almost impossible to open doors when you need to most....

Dale

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #9  
To prevent door kite situation you probably need to have tracks in floor for bottoms of doors to run in, BUT with dragging implements and such though door way you are going to fill tracks with mud and dirt and that will make it almost impossible to open doors when you need to most....

Dale

I have had a 36 x 48 Morton building with two large sliding doors for 36 years.
I have had no door issues.
I keep the doors either full open, 1/2 open, or closed.
There is an over center latch at each position.
The larger door slides over a center of opening in ground support at the middle bottom of the door.
36 years, and I still love my Morton building.
I do not have to deal with snow.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #10  
I would imagine that something as simple as a piece of 4x4 or similar stuck in the ground both sides of the doorway would keep it from blowing outward when either open or closed.