Sliding doors for Pole Barn

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #32  
   / Sliding doors for Pole Barn #33  
Priced out a 14 wide x 12 high insulated garage door at Home Depot to be $1408. Add a$200 garage door opener to each door and you have roughly $3000 invested. About half that if you go with uninsulated. Not a bad investment for the convenience added to it for opening AND most importantly no snow or wind issues to deal with.

On my shop, I put one 16 wide and one 10 wide with 2 foot partition separating them and both have standard electric garage door openers which works fine for me. You can go cheap and struggle or bite the bullet and get the convenience and rat proof ones now.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #34  
If you use the bubble wrap, get it with the foil on both sides. The wrap with the white on one side will deteriorate after about 12 years. I stopped using after I found a better product.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn
I really appreciate all the thoughtful comments on my questions. I've made notes and will incorporate some of the suggestions. Thanks

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #36  
This past summer I priced out a 30X40 just to see where prices are now compared to 10 years ago. I was surprised to learn that an overhead door installed was about $350 cheaper than an aluminum framed sliding door.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #37  
DSC00647.JPG

Here's what I did. In Minnesota. Similar door on other end. The sliding hardware can be used with some lumber spacing on the inside to position the rail. I couldn't find any latching that would work on the inside so I had to rig up some turnbuckles. I wasn't really satisfied with that. Those doors do take up most of the end walls. You could build a fake end wall if you wanted the end wall space, I didn't.

It worked just like I hoped. I did a little snow shoveling at the edges but otherwise I opened the door and drove the snow loader tractor out the door and started pushing snow. And I didn't have snow drifts all across the end to shovel just to open the door.

Another benefit was that the rail hardware has no rust after 25+ years.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #38  
I live in a similar climate as the OP;no way I would use sliders.My new pole barn got a 12'x10' over-head+an opener.Just pull up with the tractor or sidexside and hit the button.Look down the road;do you want to be fighting a sliding door in ten years?

"do you want to be fighting a sliding door in ten years?"

It ain't all that bad!
I have two of 'em, and I'll be 80 this year.
I do not need to open 'em in the Winter though.

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #39  
View attachment 638503

Here's what I did. In Minnesota. Similar door on other end. The sliding hardware can be used with some lumber spacing on the inside to position the rail. I couldn't find any latching that would work on the inside so I had to rig up some turnbuckles. I wasn't really satisfied with that. Those doors do take up most of the end walls. You could build a fake end wall if you wanted the end wall space, I didn't.

It worked just like I hoped. I did a little snow shoveling at the edges but otherwise I opened the door and drove the snow loader tractor out the door and started pushing snow. And I didn't have snow drifts all across the end to shovel just to open the door.

Another benefit was that the rail hardware has no rust after 25+ years.

Never thought of one on the inside. I can see the advantages to that!!!

/ Sliding doors for Pole Barn #40  
We don't have sliding doors in our house because they are not very convenient. At the entrance, we installed a metal door with several locks. We have oak fireproof interior doors throughout the house. When choosing the material, we paid attention to the products' color and quality. The consultant suggested two options: cherry wood doors and oak doors.
you live in a pole barn?