Snow snow removal.

/ snow removal. #41  
We plow the farm with skid steers and a cat loader and I hate it. we used to have a 12' blade on a case 2470 4wd tractor and that was sweet. The only good thing about skid steers is that you can spin around and plow the opposite direction with ease. This year we have not really even plowed yet, got lots of ice build up though.
Rob

/ snow removal. #42  
I wouldn't look too closely at records of where people live and trying to tie it into how much snow they get. For me they measure the snow in the center of town and at the top of the mountain. Often times I will get over a foot more than the town 3 miles away but hundreds feet lower and not up against the side of a mountain during a good dumping. The top of the mountain is anyone's guess. If the wind is blowing they try their best. But they measure it only a couple of miles from me and it's hit or miss as to if they get more or less.

/ snow removal. #43  
I would like to just get this out there. For me the FEL is less than an option for snow removal!!! I have had three plowing sessions this year total of about 36 inches of snow (normally we get 250 to 300 inches) and have used the front blade the first time then the front mt snow blower and now my FEL which I bought in August last year. By far the snow blower is the best snow removal tool I own followed by the blade. In the future if anything happens to either of these two I will put the box blade on and use the FEL as last resort! I know there are a lot of guys out there who will take offense at this, but I mean to offend no one. It is just my opinion! If you use your FEL for snow removal and like it .....more power to you!

I am catching on to snow removal with a FEL. I find myself doing more and more back dragging with the bucket. My work and couple of the houses I do it works best to back drag into a pile and then shove the pile. My work has a large cement parking lot which goes right out to main street.

Pain to back out on to the street, drop the bucket, try to get the angle right so it wont catch the lips when pushing. Much easier to drive the tractor half way out onto the street, drop the bucket and tilt it and back drag it into the lot.

/ snow removal. #44  
Rear blowers are a pain, but they do one helluva job. I'd go for a front mount but I have no mid-mount pto to drive it. Up to 12 inches I use a 7ft rear blade, after that I go to the blower.

/ snow removal. #45  
Anyone who moves a lot of snow (20 to 30 episodes each winter) knows this is the preferred way to go (fast, efficient and warm):

Nice machine! I've seen your video before, but it's always nice to see it pop up again. I do have a question tho - what is the purpose of the wire bracket inside the blower chute?

/ snow removal. #46  
I use a 7' rear blade and my FEL. 99% of the time I pull the blade forward and can plow in mid range so its faster than a blower, plus I have too many blower killing rocks in my driveway. We only average about 5-6' of snow and this year is been maybe 1.5' so far. I use the FEL for clearing the parking and turnaround area and it works fine for that, but I can see why they make snow buckets.
I run as much offset as I can on the 3pth so I can move the banks back a foot or so but if I bought another rear blade, I'd probably get a sliding one for more offset or an 8'
IMG00009-20120114-1615.jpg

This is pretty much the same set-up I have, with the addition of hydraulic angle on the blade. I've been thinking about cutting the main beam of the blade and making it into an offset-able type for snow plowing. Cheaper than buying a new blade, the 6 foot one I have already pushes the tractor sideways if the snow is heavy and the ground under it is icy.

I added a removable mesh screen on the top of my bucket for more snow capacity, it works quite well for that and horse manure.

Sean

/ snow removal. #47  
   / snow removal. #48  
I would like to just get this out there. For me the FEL is less than an option for snow removal!!! I have had three plowing sessions this year total of about 36 inches of snow (normally we get 250 to 300 inches) and have used the front blade the first time then the front mt snow blower and now my FEL which I bought in August last year. By far the snow blower is the best snow removal tool I own followed by the blade. In the future if anything happens to either of these two I will put the box blade on and use the FEL as last resort! I know there are a lot of guys out there who will take offense at this, but I mean to offend no one. It is just my opinion! If you use your FEL for snow removal and like it .....more power to you!

I tried to use my FEL once. I ultimately gave up and just used it to smoosh the snow down flat. For snow removal, an FEL is better than using a snow shovel by hand, but only slightly. Those folks that defend their FEL as a viable snow removal tool either never tried anything else, or are completely insane.

JayC

Attachments

• DSCN0105x.JPG
    DSCN0105x.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 257
   / snow removal. #49  
I tried to use my FEL once. I ultimately gave up and just used it to smoosh the snow down flat. For snow removal, an FEL is better than using a snow shovel by hand, but only slightly. Those folks that defend their FEL as a viable snow removal tool either never tried anything else, or are completely insane.

JayC

I use the FEL to remove snow....works quite good if you know what you're doing. Granted, it's not as efficient as a plow would be, but quite acceptable.
Your last sentence indicates you don't know what you're doing...

/ snow removal. #50  
I use the FEL to remove snow....works quite good if you know what you're doing. Granted, it's not as efficient as a plow would be, but quite acceptable.
Your last sentence indicates you don't know what you're doing...

Oh, I know - see above pic. I should clarify - if I were clearing a small area, like a couple of parking spots, the loader would be fine. But forget it on a long drive...and I have 1000 feet of it.

JayC