Stump Grinder Finished

/ Stump Grinder Finished #11  
Meticulous!

I wonder if that variable tooth spacing helps to discourage resonate frequency from setting up. They do that with some band saw blades and countersinks.

John

/ Stump Grinder Finished #12  
That is a very professional job. Congratulations.

Forgive all the questions, but the details are very interesting.

Did you make the wheel yourself?
How thick is it and what diameter?
Is that a standard bored hub with a key or is there a different attachment?
With the bottom of the wheel turning away from the horizontal pivot point, do you have to apply downpressure to cut into the stump or do you have to hold it out of the stump?

Congratulations again on a great job of designing, building, and finishing. The detail is very impressive.

/ Stump Grinder Finished
John - - -I thought about balancing the wheel using a bubble balancer but decided not to bother - - - never thought about a resonance fequency. In the end the grinder is banging on roots and dirt so I don't think it matters.

Farmer - - I posted pictures of the wheel during construction on Scotty370's stump grinder posting if you want to do a search. The wheel is 3/4" thick
(1/2" would probably be fine), about 17" dia., the teeth add about 2" to the dia. Found it in the scrap yard. Looked to be flame cut and reasonably round. I bored a center hole and welded in a Dodge QD weld in hub. The drive shaft is 2" stainless steel with a 5/8" key to fit the hub. The QD bushing really tightens down on the shaft and key - - - hope there isn't a problem here because it takes a beating!

Can't really tell if I am applying down pressure or holding the wheel up. I push the hydraulic lever to lower the wheel a little and then go back across. As I mentioned earlier if you take too much in a pass the wheel grabs - - -pulls down into the stump and stops the tractor dead - - - this has happen only twice and I had a lot of stump engaged with the wheel! I got a little too aggressive.

Reggie

/ Stump Grinder Finished #14  
That is one awesome piece of workmanship!

If I was a stump, and I saw that comin' at me, I'd be scared!

Amazing job!

/ Stump Grinder Finished #15  
Reggie- I apoligize for not properly commending you awesome craftsmenship! It's absolutely beautiful!! And functional! Guess that's a rather important factor! Just a couple things for the 'gallery'! The folks, (Jeff and others) at Greenteeth were great to me! I'm using a 22" wheel (1/2") with 18 teeth , 9 per side at 40* spacing. They did my wheel layout an suggested a pattern of three sequential teeth spiraling in toward the center hub, about 1/2" at each interval, at tooth two, and again at tooth 3. At tooth 4, again on the rim, Tooth five 1/2", in, Tooth 6, another 1/2", in. 7 on the rim...etc, etc,......... On the first lead position, I've got two straight teeth. At Position two, angle-out, angle-out. Position three, angle-out, angle-out. Position four, (Again, on the rim) angle-out on one side, and a reverse pocket that lines it up with the center of the wheels thickness. Position five and six, same as two and three. Position seven, angle out, and a reverse pocket, coming in from the opposite side from pos. 4! Position eight and nine are all outward angles. On smaller stumps, I can lower it down, and cut a stump like a chain saw!
Two items you mentioned I've experienced: "Just 'cause you built it, doesn't mean your know how to use it!" I'm in the learning curve myself, and have had that wheel want to grab it's way across the stump (agressively) and stall the tractor! Also "Tight" tolerances, I believe, are a must. especially at the swing points! Also, I'm retro-fitting mine with those ground 'spikes' that you welded along your lower channel iron! When that thing want to "run-over" a stump, it will move my tractor, before stalling! Definately a lot of 'kinetic' energy happen' with that spinnin' wheel. Not a unit I'd lend-out to a friend. I'd rather go and grind their stumps myself! Good Luck! Again, beautiful work!~Scotty
Edit-Darn, I didn't realize that post was so long! Sorry! :( ~S

/ Stump Grinder Finished #16  
Great work Scotty and Reggie ! I looked at complete wheels at a web site and they were pretty costly. Looks like you guys got it done doing some engineering and cost savings. Best designs I have seen to date. Were these similar to production machines ?

/ Stump Grinder Finished
Scotty, if I understand what you are saying about the Greenteeth they have more than just two designs - - one straight in and one angled out. I didn't get that when I talked to them. Now that the thing actually works I was planning to call them back and order a couple of spares - - - sounds like I should also ask about different teeth design. Although it works fine as is I may be able to speed up grinding and/or reduce the tendancy to pull into the stump. I have not experienced the wheel trying to pull itself across the stump - - -yet!

Joe - - as for my design I just made a combination of the Vermeer grinder wheel and one I found on line that was for 3 point hitches. Used what I could find in the scrap yard and went with it. I don't think that wheel diameter is all that important as long as you get your tip speed up. Of course the larger the diameter the deeper you can easily grind.

Reggie

/ Stump Grinder Finished #18  
I love it! Why can't I be creative like that?

Rusty

/ Stump Grinder Finished #19  
Now that is some nice work!

/ Stump Grinder Finished #20  
Reggie,

Are you sure that's home made? Man that came out nice. If I had stumps to grind I would want one exactly like yours. Super nice build! I especially like ...... well everything. The grabber teeth at the bottom of the TPH frame are cool too. I hope you have an endless supply of stumps so that you can enjoy using it for all time.

Larry