Stump Grinder Finished

/ Stump Grinder Finished #42  
It's a full sized Ford 2N, about 20-25hp. I thought about a PTO pump, but that would kill things like this that run off the PTO, right? Or can you still use the PTO?

Yes, the PTO pump slips over the PTO shaft, and you use it to power things like backhoe, hydraulic auger, Hydraulic tiller, hydraulic flail mower, etc. You can use it to power a PTO implement or the PTO pump.

/ Stump Grinder Finished #43  
Yes, the PTO pump slips over the PTO shaft, and you use it to power things like backhoe, hydraulic auger, Hydraulic tiller, hydraulic flail mower, etc. You can use it to power a PTO implement or the PTO pump.

I think that's his question, J_J! It's either/or, not both! In the grinder scenerio, you need both! Perhaps the belt driven pump would open up some options though. Didn't want WV to think you can slid a pto pump on the back, and then come off it with a shaft drive, at the same time. ~Scotty

/ Stump Grinder Finished #44  
Also just a couple other things I've learned:
o-You definately don't want to build one as was mentioned with the wheel mounted at 90* to the tractor! You really need that tractor as a firm anchor point to 'hold tight' while your thowing chips out the back!
o- You definately don't want one that brings the chips toward the tractor! I can't imagine the 'schrapnel' that would be 'greeting' the operator!
o- Your better off cutting a stump from the left side, (viewed from the drawbar, looking rearward). If you've set the bite/pass a little too deep, it will meet with 'rejection'! If you come in from the right, if will try to track across the top of the stump all the way 'til you stall, or it finishes a very 'scary/shuttering' pass!
o- On larger stumps, your want to line up to cut the first 1/3, (1/4?) closest to the tractor first. ie- using the 7-8 o'clock position on the wheel, when viewed from the right side of the unit. More learning in store for this weekend, along with the promised Pics! ~Scotty
PS One more point- Tractor placement is everything! Guess the downside to the 3PH Design! IE Cut part of a large stump, raise the unit, reposition, lower the unit set park brake, grind, remount, reposition, reset brake, grind etc, etc, I'm wondering if thats why some units are sold with 26-36" wheels! That would cut down on the multi-moves a bit! But, with mine, "it is, what it is" and I'm happy with it! :D

/ Stump Grinder Finished #45  
I am trying to figure out the best way to build a stump jumper. after looking at your pictures I like the clean lines and design that your unit has. I am wondering if you would have any drawings or pictures with dimensions that you would be willing to share. I have already built my cutter wheel which is similar to yours and have my shaft, bearings, and gearbox. I like the design of your frame-work, any help that you could share would be appreciated. Your unit is the cleanest design that I've seen since I started my project last year.

/ Stump Grinder Finished #46  
My 8N had a spot in the front crankshaft that holds a splined shaft to drive a hydraulic pump for the FEL. My 861 also has one. I just "T'D" off of that to make wet lines for the rear. Sent the lines to a selector switch to allow the rear or FEL hydraulics to work.
Works like a charm for the Backhoe and other things that need hydraulics.

/ Stump Grinder Finished #47  
This is the most interesting post I have read on TBN. You all are an inspiration. Thanks!

Would it be better for the tractor to gradually loosen the slip clutch until it slips instead of tractor stall?

Sounds like the slip clutch is not doing its job. It might be rated for more than tractor hp and have higher initial setting.

/ Stump Grinder Finished #48  
great work guys /also apower steering pump off car/truck makes great light duty hydrolic pump as mine powers a hydrolic milemarker wynch.also that 90 could be scavenged off an old rusted out bush hog.

/ Stump Grinder Finished #49  
Scotty - - - looks like we finished about the same time. You are a few stumps ahead of me. Good job!

My gear box is a speed increase type. Ratio is 1 to 1.46. Bought it on ebay and it seems to work - - - never can tell about stuff from ebay. I used a
#100 roller chain and sped up a little more, 17 tooth on the drive and 11 tooth on the shaft. Running the tractor around 2100 rpm (2400 rpm is used to get 540 at PTO) works best. I have found that the grinder has a tendancy to pull into the stump if you are taking too big a bite. It can bring the tractor to an immediate stop - - a little scary. Just like any new piece of equipment I am learning as I go. No damage done so far - - - except for stumps:).

As for tooth placement. I have 6 sets of angled Greenteeth (700 series)spaced evenly 60 degrees apart around the wheel. Then I have two sets of straight teeth 180 deg. apart. It shows in the picture and gives the impression of odd placement. I was told but the salesperson at Green Mfg. that the straight teeth were needed if I wanted to grind straight down into a stump rather than come from the side. I saw the same tooth placement on a Vermeer SG 252 so I figured I should do it too. Can't say that I have needed them but it was easy to drill a few more holes when the wheel was on the mill and would be difficult to drill later.

Thanks for kind words,
Reggie
Hello, very nice work. We are building a hydraulic rigid grinder for our Takeuchi TL140 track loader. Been using a Shaver SC50 for many years. I am wondering how you have liked the tooth setting. It looks just like the recommended setup Greenteeth sent us for the new 20 inch wheel. We purchased a Power-trac Stump Grinder without a wheel and are adapting it to a full size quick tach plate. This is hydraulic with about a 15 GPM motor. We run the Shaver on a beefed up Ford 5000 and have done many hundreds of stumps. Any insights would be appreciated.
We should be field testing this next week. Best regards,
Jim Yancy Pedro, Ohio

/ Stump Grinder Finished #50  
Jim, I am building my own as well. When you say Power Trac are you referring to the company in Tazwell Tenessee? I too contacted Greenteeth and they sent me specs for a 16" wheel. I plan to mostly follow their design, although I will add two sets of teeth .

Is PowerTrac grinder direct drive, meaning the motor is directly attached to the wheel? I need 18GPM so I purchased a 4.75 cu inch motor. It is physically really small which has me nervous. I am using a lovejoy to connect between the motor and wheel.