Suggestions on a new trailer

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #11  
Well, that is the ballpark for an aluminum trailer. I paid $4700 for mine, and I think the car hauler would be around 1K more. Something to consider, I bought a single axle landscaper style Worthington in 1999 for $1800, and just sold it for $1700.

Will

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #12  
Unless you plan on hauling something heavier than your Chevelle, I'd go with a 7000 lb trailer. It should do the job. I have a 16' with a 2' beaver tail 7k trailer. I've only had a car on it once and it did O.K. I'm just guessing here, but your car should weigh around 4000lbs and the trailer around 2000lbs, which puts you in pretty good shape. I paid a little over $2000 for mine out the door about 2 years ago.

The only problem is the ramp angle. My guess is your car will be O.K. going on the ramps, but on some newer lower cars, the front end wants to hit the ramps before it starts to load. This is just something you want to check out and make sure it works before buying. There are some work arounds, such as using wood blocks to lower the ramp angle.

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #13  
Hey check me out!!!!
dump trailers 008.JPG

dump trailers 009.JPG

dump trailers 017.JPG
These are stock photos not the actually trailer.

I just got a 18" all steel deck car hauler in.
Bri-Mar has a gradual tapered beaver tail and they also have fabricated ramps. THEY ARE NOT THE ANGLE RAMPS THAT ARE PRONE TO BEND.
Bri-Mar does manufacture a higher quality trailer so don't expect this to be one of those 99 cent 7k trailers.
This trailer is powdercoated.
I sell a 18' 7k steel deck car hauler for $3,295
I will be going out to state college on the 3RD of August and I will be more than happy to meet you out there if your interested.

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #14  
I just went through what you are starting.
Here is what I learned.
First, make sure you have your tow vehicle all set up to pull a trailer of that size. Class III or IV hitch. And a reciver and ball capable of pulling everything. (10,000# or heavier)

I looked on craigs list for about 9 months, I missed a few deals because I didn't keep cash on hand. I hate having that much cash around the house, but conceeded and managed to get an 2004 18' 12,000# trailer this last weekend. It's bigger then I needed, but I figure trailers are like wire. I can deal with extra wire, but if I need more I can't stretch it.

I paid $1800 for my trailer if your curious.

Wedge

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #15  
took me 2 years to find mine on CL.... $1000 for a 20' flat 10K version.

I could have found one much sooner if i was willing to settle for 7K or a lightweight version.

What ticked me off so much is i could find 30' 18-20K lb verions for 4K (all day long) but a nice 20' 10K was 2800-$3000.... USED... if im going to spend that money i might as well drop another $800 and buy brand new!

But Ill have another $800 in mine by the time i get brakes on both axles, all new LED lights... new paint.... rub-rail added, DOT reflector tape.... new 3K jack...new removable fenders...

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #16  
But Ill have another $800 in mine by the time i get brakes on both axles, all new LED lights... new paint.... rub-rail added, DOT reflector tape.... new 3K jack...new removable fenders...

In my nearly 20 years of dealing with trailers I have found there is rarely a good deal on a used trailer. Once you go through the wiring, tires, paint, brakes, and wood deck if needed you are into it about the same a new one.

Case in point my neighbor bought a used 7K 16' car hauler for $800. New wood deck @ $200, 4 new tires @ $400, never did get the brakes fixed, new paint and free labor @ $50, new hardware/lights/wiring @ $100 they were into it more than what I could have ordered them a new trailer for back on 2003. I was getting them for about $1400 back then out of Sikeston MO.

Chris

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #17  
In my nearly 20 years of dealing with trailers I have found there is rarely a good deal on a used trailer. I was getting them for about $1400 back then out of Sikeston MO.

Chris

I agree to a point. Even a brand new one isnt going to come with 6" C chanel over 6" C channel for a frame. And the TRUE equiment trailers that do come like that arnt $2300 but $4600.... so in the end ya i think i got a great deal for a useable (as it is) $1000 trailer.... a GREAT $1800 trailer...

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #18  
I agree to a point. Even a brand new one isnt going to come with 6" C chanel over 6" C channel for a frame. And the TRUE equiment trailers that do come like that arnt $2300 but $4600.... so in the end ya i think i got a great deal for a useable (as it is) $1000 trailer.... a GREAT $1800 trailer...

Yea, you got a good deal on a 10K trailer with a double 6 frame. The 7K units I was getting were a 5 over 4 frame for that price.

Chris

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #19  
I agree with D.P., its hard to find a good used trailer. I kept my eyes open, and anything used that was nice was priced at the point you could buy a new one. Anything used that was cheaper than new, looked like a piece of junk.

/ Suggestions on a new trailer #20  
This weekend I'll have to get some better pictures of mine and see if I got my $1800 worth. I know I sure think I did, but I haven't gone through the thing completely. I was built in 2004 and looks like new. I need to find someplace to take it to get the trailer weighed.

The one thing I have noticed is after 9 months of looking, it's hard not still peruse CL for trailers.

Wedge