Price Check TC-18 Pricing & suitability

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #1  

TomOfTarsus

Silver Member
Tractor
1999 New Holland TC18 HST
Hi all!
Hope I'm not a 1-thread wonder! I have 5.75 acres that is quite steep in places, and hilly in general. No commercial stuff going on.

I'd like to be able to mow the mowable parts, do some light digging, carry or drag firewood and perhaps sled some saw logs downhill (10-20" dia), and tend the garden, which I assume will be larger if I have the equipment, and snow removal in extreme situations (driveway is asphalt and only 100' long). I may pull light trees over. Tying off high, axing some roots and pulling is, I think, easier than digging the stumps out later. (I also have a 1500/3000 lb. rope haul for this, and/or a Jeep).
A person who seems to be quite meticulous, and who is also known to my son's best friend as a good coworker, is selling a NH TC18, 1999, 580 hrs. It has a front loader, chains, ag tires, 4WD, 60 inch belly mower, a "harrow", the older 7160 FEL, and a back blade that swivels and tilts (the only non-NH accesory as I can see).

I don't know if it has the hydrostatic transmission or the power steering.
He's asking $9K. For $400 more I can get a titled trailer that will haul the thing. Wife is (as usual) less than enthusiastic. Plus, I've never even had a riding mower before, much less a machine like this. But if I survive(?!), I think I could put it to good use.

So is it (a) a steal, (b) about average, or (c) a rip.

My browsing thus far says its "b" w/o hydro and pwr. steering and "a" with those two. What say ye?

Thanks to all for your time. This thing is going away pretty quick, my son closes on the house Thursday (1/31/08) and unless an agreement is reached, he's taking the thing. But I'm not really sure it's the machine for me. My wife is "skeert" (scared) because it's used.

Tom

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #2  
Welcome to TBN, I would say look at what others are selling for at places like fleabay, machinertrader and lots more
Jim
:)

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability
Thanks for the new resources, I have checked other places online but hadn't seen all of those yet.

Tom

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #4  
I looked at a tc18, 2wd, gear, no loader or mower in 2000.. it was 7700$

I'd say yours is a good deal.. especially if you are getting a decent trailer for 400$.

Do look around on machinery trader online.. and the local paper.. so you can get a feel for the prices of the implements.. etc.

I usually count use dimplements at no more than half$ of new.. unless they are truly very new, or NOS.. then then 75-90% of new price seems fair. The 4wd is a BIG plus for loader work and hills.. and the the FEL is a big expense.. at least a couple thou to consider.

I'd deffinately put that inthe running and compair it to others you see..

if it has been maintaned good, that further helps the deal..

soundguy

What are the advantages or differences of hydro? As I said, I'ven never even had a riding mower before. Is it worth more? I'm getting the feeling that "purists" go with the gearbox. Hydro is like automatic, right?

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #6  
TomOfTarsus:

Welcome to TBN and the Blue Forum :D! There have been many, many threads and posts about the relative merits of gear vs. HST tractors here on TBN :eek:. Everyone has an opinion (including myself :rolleyes:). I have owned both a gear driven and an HST driven tractor. IMHO for serious dirtwork highload bearing tasks you are probably better off with gears; for FEL work and lighter ground engaging tasks like tilling and/or mowing I would recommend HST. HST is kind of like automatic. The mistake most new HST owners make is when the tractor is starting to RPM down and/or lug the engine while under task they have a tendency to "floor" the treadle/peddle (which in effect puts you in a higher gear). One should back off the the treadle/peddle (lower gear). I will not go into a dialog about the relationship between throttle and treadle. Jay

PS: BTW I think the TC-18 is a pretty good deal. Try to find out if it is a D or DA series. That will tell you a lot about the features.

Thanks, I guess I should search out the hydro thing. I'm on fairly limited time. & yes, flooring it would probably be my first thought as well, but to be forwarned... My guess is that it's a D, not DA.

Have a look!

Attachments

• DSCN7115_small.jpg
    DSCN7115_small.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 288
   / TC-18 Pricing & suitability #8  
Tom:

Nice picture :)! The tractor looks in pretty good shape from the picture :D. My eyes are not as good as they used to be good :rolleyes:, but there does appear to be an HST treadle/peddle on the operator's platform. The difference between a D and a DA has nothing to do with performance just some amenities. Jay

Drat, I only have one picture from that side. And I had to reduce the size because of upload restrictions. Any other way to tell?

BTW, the mower is a New Holland 914A.

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #10  
I just saw that same configuration for sale around here (PDX, Oregon) on Craigslist for $9k, so that seems to be in the right price range. Difference was a box blade instead of back blade.

I have about 5 acres, very hilly, and recently purchased a TC33. For some things, it has been about the right size (unloading logs from the trailer, hauling firewood, skidding logs uphill (30 degree slope)). For other things, it is a bit too big.

For my most recent project, I picked up a 66" box blade and proceeded to level an area for a mini-barn for the sheep. The footprint of the barn is only 7'x8' (only two sheep), but I ended up clearing out a place 10' wide by about 30' long, simply because I needed room to maneuver. A smaller tractor would have been nice there.

You'll definitely get more seat time with a smaller tractor, simply because some things will take you longer, but that's half the fun, right? You'll end up paying 2x as much for all of those implements (appropriately sized) on a TC33.

Hydro is definitely easier to learn to use, but people have been using geared tractors for *many* years.

That's a steal on the trailer. I just paid $2k for a custom built 7000lb 16' bed trailer, no tilt.

My $0.02.

Regards,
-Steve