Price Check TC-18 Pricing & suitability

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #11  
In the picture it does appear that it is HST. But those do not look like AG tires, they're Industrials or R-4's, if I'm seeing right. The 1999 TC18 is strictly that, no D or DA.
Mine is a 2003 with HST/914 mower/LA12 loader and sold for $12,000. $400 for the trailer may be a great deal depending on its condition. If you're looking at pulling trees over and skidding 20" diameter logs, be careful as the tractor is only 1400 lbs plus loader weight.
I'd say 9K may be a decent deal if it has been maintained well.

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability
Ambivalence, ambivalence...:confused:

I wasn't really quite ready to ge a machine yet, but this seemed like a good opportunity. One thing I've thought of over the evening is that it has no bagger (which may be a hoot to some of you!) I'm really stuggling, some places I need MORE machine (logs), and some places less, like a little riiding mower.

My temptation is toward the "more" side, though, as much of the yard I mow can be done (or must be done) as I always have, with my trusty Sensation 19" graveyard mower. Best hand mower ever made, hands down. Bought it in 1980, I'm making drawings so that if the housing goes I can have someone make me another.

The mowing this thing would do really wouldn't need to be bagged- the road through the land, the rough area below the garden, the just-getting-started orchard, trails up on the hill, that sort of thing. Yeah, I just may have re-talked myself into it. Yah can't pull a brush hog behind a riding mower!

The only other thing I've looked at closely is a Simplicity 4wd sub-compact, 25 Hp roughly, Briggs & Stratton diesel. It had a rear 540 rpm PTO and 3 pt hitch, loader available, but configured this way and new would have been $15K or better. Wife had cardiac episode just thinking I'd go for that! Anyway, it seems a bit small for what I want as I think about it.

And you can see my ignorance. I thought they were ag tires 'cause they had a large diagonal tread. Turf tires I'd have recognized.

Thank you all, I really appreciate the help. This whole "land" thing has just happeend over the last couple of years. It's been a blessing, the only real chance of makeing a nice sellable property out of a poorly sited house that I biult when I was young and dumb(er).

Anyone have links to hydro vs. geared? I'm a mechanical engineer and so understand about throttle, torque, rpm and power. The info may help on the learning curve.

And please, if you think of anything, keep it coming. Maybe someday I can give it back.

Thanks again,

Tom

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #13  
Inspector507 said:
In the picture it does appear that it is HST. But those do not look like AG tires, they're Industrials or R-4's, if I'm seeing right. The 1999 TC18 is strictly that, no D or DA.
Mine is a 2003 with HST/914 mower/LA12 loader and sold for $12,000. $400 for the trailer may be a great deal depending on its condition. If you're looking at pulling trees over and skidding 20" diameter logs, be careful as the tractor is only 1400 lbs plus loader weight.
I'd say 9K may be a decent deal if it has been maintained well.

Inspector507:

Good eyes and information. I also agree with your cautioning as to tractor task vs. tractor size. I definitely had to approach tasks differently when I had my old Ford 1100 (13/11+ HP) vs my new NH TC29DA (29/23+ HP). For mowing the "lawn" I have a White 1650 LT. The tractor is for rotary cutting (sometimes the "lawn") the field/trails and "tractor stuff" :rolleyes:. Jay :)

PS: I do miss the old Ford in the woods as it was smaller and much more stable.

Jay, Inspector, Steve & all,

Thanks again, esp. for the cautionary info. Yes, I knew the machine was pretty light, compared to a 20" log. Fortunately (if I can keep the log behind me- :eek: ) it's all downhill with the logs.

Due to the steepness I was anticipating weights, filled tires, etc. - like carrying a bucketful of wood downhill, may need rear counterweight - or maybe the filled tires would be enough - trouble is, you may not know it's not enough until it's not enough and you're head-over-tincups.

Do they publish weights, CG's, front/rear wheel weight distributions, etc? If I had good data on the empty tractor and implements to start with, it'd take me a long way down the road - the calculations aren't that difficult, and I could at least get a feel for what I'd need going downhill with a bucket, or skidding a log, etc. Pulling a tree over, if your tied up high I figure you're done when the rear wheels lift off! I've seen the warnings about being tied off low and it makes sense - it'll pull your front end up quick.

I think that's a lot of my wife's concern, she figures I'll end up on a slab... but then, I've never had to worry the entire time we've been married, nearly 33 years now, she's always worried more than enough for both of us. :D

That, and she wants to remodel the kitchen! (but so do I...)

Thanks again,

Tom

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #15  
Tom:

Just be careful skidding logs downhill. They can get away from you pretty quick :eek:! I use my box blade/scraper as a 500 pound counterweight in addition to weighted tires and I will still get some "bounce" at times with FEL work. I have been looking for published CG's, "footprint" data, etc. for awhile now. There is not a lot of published material for SCUT's and CUT's out there. Pennsylvania State University (my old alma mater) did some interesting tractor rollover experiments years ago. Jay

Well, for skidding saw logs, I was figuring on chaining around one end and dragging it behind me - like I said, as long as it stays behind me! But it should, I wouldn't drive on something THAT steep. But yeah, a load of logs in the FEL I can understand could bounce you. Keep the bucket low and ready to drop, eh?

Just a thought, would it be better to back down?

Nowadays, all that CG stuff would be easy, with solid modeling software and what not. Don't know if they had those lovely tools in 1997, but a company as big as NH/Ford sure should have. Criminiee, even with what we have here I can get CG's, mass moments of inertia, etc. in minutes on fairly large assembles, once the materials and geometry are in there.

Western MA - did a few jobs east of Northampton at a pumped storage station in the Berkshires. Pretty county. Bigger hills than mine!

Thanks again,

Tom

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #17  
Did you buy it Tom?

Solo

Ah, almost! My b'loved & I had some "discussions" - you wouldn't believe how many issues surround this thing - and I believe now she's at least on board with it, if I consider it to be the "right" machine. I'll add that he did throw in the trailer, and had forgotten about a lawn roller attachement (homemade, I think) that goes with it as well.

Everything you buy is a compromise of some sort, but the only one I see here is it's not really suitable for lawn mowing. If I get that 914a mower deck too close to the house, I'll be spraying grass clippings all over creation - or, more properly, our many flower beds, the sidewalk, the side of the house... The Simplicity SCUT I looked at did have bagging capability (for a price, of course - I was at $15K with that one and still didn't have the capabilites this one has.) Plus, of course, it's just too big for wheeling around detail areas.

My ground is really steep (young & dumb when I built there) and so the yard has evolved into these sort of countoured strips that I have been mowing by hand. Some of this will still be necessary, I can't get any sort of tractor into the yard on one side of the house. But the other side is more open, and bagging ability would save me valuable time.

I'm going to go give it a full inspection & test drive, I'll probably buy it - Shoot, if I get the ground cleared and countoured and find the thing isn't useful anymore, I sell it, right? But I think not. This is the function list I see now:

• Moving firewood
  • Dragging logs
  • Hauling fall yard debris further from the house.
  • Helping with stumps and tree felling
  • Light grading & shaping
  • Enables us to have a bigger garden
  • Keep paths mowed through the wooded parts (helps stop the vine & poison ivy from spreading), as well as 450' of lane, and about an acre of proposed garden/orchard area below the house.
  • Snow removal (occasional - if we have one of those 3' blizzards)
  • Spreading & moving mulch, gravel, etc.
And of course, with the PTO's, more attachements can add more functionality. A tiller would be my first thought.

So if any of y'all are praying types, I'd appreciate it. It's a pretty big decision for me. But it's looking smarter all the time.

Thanks for everyone's help, it's been great. I'll let you know in the next couple of days.

Tom

/ TC-18 Pricing & suitability #19  
Tom, don't forget with the 914A you can get a rear-discharge deck as well. As long as you keep the grass mowed and don't mow when it is wet, it works pretty well. It will not through grass all over your flower beds. Best part about it is, you can "trim" with whatever side of the tractor happens to be there. You also don't have to worry about empty a bagger. Let the trimmings fertilize the lawn.

Thanks, but the 914A is the one that comes with the tractor, so I'd have to trade it or something. However, whilst I should be working (shame on me!) I jumped onto New Hollandd's site and found that I can get a grass collection system for the 914A 60" side discharge deck!

Now if that one will fit a 1999 version, this fellow will be happy, happy, happy!

I know what you mean about being able to trip on both sides, though. My Sensation graveyard mower (now approaching 30 years old) can trim at the front and on both sides, with unbagged discharge going out the read at a 45 deg. angle. Since it has a mid-mounted handle that can swing over to the other direction, I can mow the steep hill behind the house by following the contour back and forth, without ever turning the mower around, and with the discharge always pointing away from the house. It's a stupendous detail mower except that I can't bag with it. So I have a separate wimpy little bagger for up next to the house, and the yard areas where people would likely track grass into the house. Like I said, one of those yards a tractor literally can't get to.

I don't know if the tractor will be able to handle that steep area behind the or not. What's the rule? If you can't back up in 2WD, don't drive on it, 4WD or not?

Thanks again all, I'll be a lot happier if that bagger attachemnt works and is affordable. I'm going to do some work now! :rolleyes:

Tom