Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #41  
Very impressive!! The shere size of it is overwhelming.

How many yards will it take to get it all done?

Thanks for the updates, I've never seen anything like it.

Eddie

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Very impressive!! The shere size of it is overwhelming.

How many yards will it take to get it all done?

Thanks for the updates, I've never seen anything like it.

Eddie

It will take around 450 yards.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #43  
Sam, simply amazing.

So now that you have two domes up, are you having any second thoughts or wish I dids? Or is it still all too new to critique?

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #44  
So interesting, I have always wanted a monolithic concrete home. I bet maintenance is almost non existant. Just fertilize the roof once a year, and you're good to go. :D

I bet it echoes like a giant cathedral right now. It will take lots of wall hangings and fluffy furnishings to tame it.

Judging by the vent stacks, looks like you will have a lot of soil on top. It should be as tornado and fire proof as you can get.

Sam, simply amazing.

So now that you have two domes up, are you having any second thoughts or wish I dids? Or is it still all too new to critique?

No, I am very pleased with the design and the construction. Would I like to have added more? Sure but not with the price tag that would go with it. We added many features or rough-ins that will add to the homes self reliance. We aren't done yet! I may think up a few new tricks before it is all set in concrete.

Today they were forming up the flat roof kitchen area.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #46  
This is about the most interesting project i,ve seen . Thanks for posting & all the step by step pics Sam . very interesting design & structure , as well as being storm proof & efficient . Bob

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #47  
No, I am very pleased with the design and the construction. Would I like to have added more? Sure but not with the price tag that would go with it. We added many features or rough-ins that will add to the homes self reliance. We aren't done yet! I may think up a few new tricks before it is all set in concrete.

Today they were forming up the flat roof kitchen area.

Hey sam, you had mentioned this self reliance a few times. Are you going off the grid? If so what will be your power source. Also, are you doing the internet and TV up there? IF so how are you running the cables (did you lay data or are you building it in later?)

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #48  
Sam, it's very interesting that your house is taking on a very Pueblo Indian look. I know it will be covered in earth, but for now I expect to see wooden ladders and indian blankets appear any day now.;):D

I also have checked to see how far it is from Sunset, Tx to Sallisaw, OK. It's hard to resist the temptation to make a road trip up in your direction.:)

Hey sam, you had mentioned this self reliance a few times. Are you going off the grid? If so what will be your power source. Also, are you doing the internet and TV up there? IF so how are you running the cables (did you lay data or are you building it in later?)

I am designing to be ready to go off the grid. I don't believe the power grid will be available in the future. I am going to be ready to live nicely in the event power is interrupted or goes away completely. I designed this house with a 200 amp transfer switch and have a generator to run the whole house. We purchased a Greenwood 100,000 BTU Hydronic furnace, which will provide domestic hot water, PEX radiant heat in floors, heat via coil in HVAC system and store energy in a heat bank. We will also employ solar panels to heat water and limited photovoltaic capability. A wind mill may also be a possibility. Other alternate energy systems may be employed in the future.
Our internet is wireless via water tower 150 yards away. I will attempt to get a T1 at the main road. If they will give a reasonable price I will drench a fiber optic cable from our house to their demarcation point. We are a Dish network subscriber and will remain loyal because they treat us great.

Last edited:
Sam, it's very interesting that your house is taking on a very Pueblo Indian look. I know it will be covered in earth, but for now I expect to see wooden ladders and indian blankets appear any day now.;):D

I also have checked to see how far it is from Sunset, Tx to Sallisaw, OK. It's hard to resist the temptation to make a road trip up in your direction.:)

We are in Indian country and I do have a blanket. I will try to work it into a shot. You are not too far away, you are welcome to visit, but I would wait till the project is a little farther along. At least until Terra-Dome is finished around the end of July.