Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
2 questions (of many thousands) The red dots on the inside dome? Also, the texture on the facade. I would have figured it to be a lot smoother. Just the forms or are you planning something (Actually, what are you planning as treatment?)

Carl

The red you see is duck tape to prevent cement from getting into the electrical gang boxes and conduits. As for the bubbles in the surface, this is normal and the inside walls will be filled and painted. The outside walls will be insulated and brick or stone will be the exterior surface.

A few more pictures

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #63  
I am very interested in what you are going through Sam because we went through the very same thing 2 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!We built a Terra Dome and hopefully we will get it finished this summer.We are doing a lot of the work our selves and it is very rewarding.
I think I saw Tracy in some of your pictures so tell him hello from Dave in South Dakota.

Keep up the good work and good luck
Dave

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #64  
I am very interested in what you are going through Sam because we went through the very same thing 2 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!We built a Terra Dome and hopefully we will get it finished this summer.We are doing a lot of the work our selves and it is very rewarding.
I think I saw Tracy in some of your pictures so tell him hello from Dave in South Dakota.

Dave

Wether you post here or under another header you are now required to post pix of your house ;-) Tons of people interested in this....

Dave

Dave, I will tell Tracy you said hello. If I might ask, why is your build taking so long? We may have some problems completing the home but we are going to move in ASAP! Our main goal is to install our septic, well, under slab utilities, windows, doors, electric hook up and one working bath. The rest will be accomplished while we are living inside.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #66  
Thanks for the pix, I may hitch a ride with Jim if he heads up that way.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #67  
Red, are you going to Roland's memorial service Saturday?

I am.

If you need the details call me, 972 741 6132.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #68  
Red, are you going to Roland's memorial service Saturday?

I am.

If you need the details call me, 972 741 6132.

Yep, I'll be there, went by the shop last week, that was
not fun, very sad. Thanks for the heads up.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #69  
We're making headway on our earth sheltered house. Attached is a pic from this June. We've had an amazing amount of rain which has put in a lot of schedule delays. The roof and buried walls have been sprayed with waterproofing; if the rain really stops this weekend the bentonite sheeting will go in Monday and the rest can move forward.

Our house structure was also done by Terra Dome. The rest is being done by a local contractor.

Sam, I was interested to read that you're building yours on grade. We're doing the same thing. Our site is relatively flat, and we have pretty wet ground. Building on top sounded lots better than digging in for our case. Water in the basement is one thing, water in the living room is a whole different issue.

The house is about 1800 sq. ft. (three 24' square modules) plus a good sized shop (28x40) and barn (28x28, 11' sidewalls to allow for hayloft).

Better pics can be found here:
new house - a set on Flickr

To avoid confusion in the Flickr pics: note that we started with Formworks, some of those original plans are in the Flickr set. What we ended up with is Terra Dome, the second set of plans.

Steve

Attachments

• DSC_1300s.jpg
    DSC_1300s.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 869
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #70  
That place is Huge. Very nice design..

But why did you switch installers?

Also, what was it like getting things done in the winter?