Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
Hi Sam;
Beautiful Job on your home. I looked at the greenwood stoves and think you would be better off with a Woodgun instead!
Wood Boilers, Wood Burning Gasification Boiler

I looked at the Woodgun and was impressed but I like the KISS method of engineering and believe the Woodgun is more complicated than needed. The keep it simple stupid (KISS) method usually prevails in my vast engineering experience. I believe the Greenwood design is superior because of its super-duty ceramic refractory firebox is designed to keep the heat in and maintaining the 1800 to 2000 degrees for a 100% clean burn, earning it the Orange Tag from the Environmental Protection Agency. Our Greenwood also boast an 85% thermal transfer keeping the escaping gases cooled to around 300コ F. We also purchased our greenwood for $4800.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #53  
Extremely interested in your project and think it looks great, but am wondering about the "garage space"? Or is that going to be a workshop type area?

How easy is the company to work with for changes? I couldn't tell the specs on door widths. It seems that handicap access requires 32" wide doors, I'd like to go larger (34") for BX24 access.

Keep us posted!

/edit - I did see in their specs they said
1. Door and Door Frames: Standard 4-112" pre-hung and pre-finished doors and frames to
be selected by owner.
but I thought that was a typo, or some builder lingo I didn't understand.

Extremely interested in your project and think it looks great, but am wondering about the "garage space"? Or is that going to be a workshop type area?

How easy is the company to work with for changes? I couldn't tell the specs on door widths. It seems that handicap access requires 32" wide doors, I'd like to go larger (34") for BX24 access.

Keep us posted!

/edit - I did see in their specs they said but I thought that was a typo, or some builder lingo I didn't understand.

Terra-Dome will build to your specifications in regard to windows and doors but their forms may limit the position or placement of doors windows and openings. I am sure they can handle changes but it is best to think it out and document on your drawings. We are going to have taller garage doors to allow entry of our Kubota B26 but I am not sure if we will require a custom door panel to accommodate the odd height. We need a door height of about 7'-6" but not higher than 7'-8" we're not set in concrete as of yet but I will nail this down this week.

Today we poured the great room and kitchen flat roof area. It took 64.5 yards.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #57  
Keep those pics coming, I am glued to this thread right now, I bet you are very happy with your new home.

Today the crew began removing the forms and lowered the dome form. They also began building the garage. Their job will be done next week. We will have our completed superstructure. The forms and supports will remain on the flat roof section to ensure proper curing.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #60  
2 questions (of many thousands) The red dots on the inside dome? Also, the texture on the facade. I would have figured it to be a lot smoother. Just the forms or are you planning something (Actually, what are you planning as treatment?)

Carl