Thoughts on Kubota M9000

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #31  
Open station plain Jane is what I’m looking for. I’ll even remove a canopy if it has one. I would love a cab but neither a canopy or cab would last long for the environment I work in.
Keep looking and you'll find one that checks your boxes, Just be prepared to put some jack in it as used is used and probably not 100% perfect.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Thoughts on Kubota M9000
Looking at the pics of the M9000 it looks like the exhaust comes up from a hole in the hood. Does the exhaust stack have to be removed to raise the hood? That would be awkward trying to inspect the engine compartment tomorrow.....if the tractor is even still there.

So @5030, when you restored your tractor did you rattle can the paint or did you have it done professionally....or do you have a paint sprayer?

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #34  
So @5030, when you restored your tractor did you rattle can the paint or did you have it done professionally....or do you have a paint sprayer?
I did the engine and affiliated running gear via rattle can in ROPS grey because it's almost impossible to find a matching color and the Kubota ROPS grey in the rattle can is high quality, high titanium content paint that goes on very nicely, cover well in one coat and the cans go a long way. I painted all the tin in Kubota Orange 2, bought a pint from my dealer and shot them here, I have a spray gun with a pressure tank attached. I undercoated all the tin with the Kubota light white primer as well. I do keep a couple cans of Kubota Orange 2 in the Rustoleum brand on the shelf as well. It's a perfect match.

When I do a rework part for the dealership, I use the Rustoleum to paint it. If you want Orange 1 for an early model tractor, the Magic brand Kubota Orange is a match for it. If you want to do the running gear on an early model (where the running gear is deep blue) and not ROPS grey like later models, that will have to come from a dealer. Have a couple cans of that on the shelf, but I've never used it.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #35  
when i bought my tractor. I found it on tractorhouse. and thought thats not terribly priced. the ad was up for 1 hour. By the time I called him 4-6 people had called. the tractor was 500 miles away in a different state. after 20 minutes of debate and looking for about a year I called and bought it. He told me 2 guys were on the way to the dealership to buy it.

after owning it a year and seeing used prices now. I didn't do good. I did amazing. Sight unseen was crazy nervy, but it looks like it will last me a while.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #36  
Looking at the pics of the M9000 it looks like the exhaust comes up from a hole in the hood. Does the exhaust stack have to be removed to raise the hood? That would be awkward trying to inspect the engine compartment tomorrow.....if the tractor is even still there.
No. The stack hole in the hood 'bonnet' is oblong and the stack has a clamp on filler that fills the oblong hole quite nicely. One thing I did do a long time ago was rotate the stack so it wasn't pointing forward as it's a rain catcher if you happen to park outside in the rain, which I do on occasion. The water gets in the stack and when you fire it up, it blows black crap all over the front and hood. I've considered cutting the stack and adding a hinged cap but never did. Rotating it 45 degrees mostly eliminates that issue.

I will say the Kubota muffler lasts forever. Really quiets the exhaust down. Only issue I have with it is, it requires removal to adjust the valves. You cannot remove the valve cover unless you remove the muffler, not enough clearance between the valve cover and the bottom of the muffler and on the cab tractors it's even more complex as the hydrostatic steering controller must be removed as well as the ac compressor because the ac compressor mounts on top of the engine as well as the steering controller. With an open station, the steering controller mounts on the end of the steering wheel shaft below the dash.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #37  
when i bought my tractor. I found it on tractorhouse. and thought thats not terribly priced. the ad was up for 1 hour. By the time I called him 4-6 people had called. the tractor was 500 miles away in a different state. after 20 minutes of debate and looking for about a year I called and bought it. He told me 2 guys were on the way to the dealership to buy it.

after owning it a year and seeing used prices now. I didn't do good. I did amazing. Sight unseen was crazy nervy, but it looks like it will last me a while.
Pre 4's go quick...I deal with TractorHouse when I sell used equipment as well. I tend to sell them off when fully depreciated + a couple years and list them on there. The only drawback is you pay the insertion fee up front when you list equipment and in my case, it's usually a couple hundred bucks. Real easy to work with, they edit your pictures too. Last item I sold on there was New Holland 575 square bailer and I immediately got numerous calls on it. What I was gonna ask Tractor House told me it wasn't a high enough price so I let them adjust the asking price accordingly.

I sold it in one day. I kind of felt bad about the multiple calls on it so I told all of them, first one here with the cash or certified bank check, it was theirs and I'd call them if it was taken, which I did. Guy drove 500 miles and bought it and paid cash and then he arranged to have it hauled, remember, it's an overwidth implement no matter which way you load it. Took it down to my buddy's seed farm down the road and he loaded it on the drop deck with 2 high lows. Very painless transaction. It was always kept in the barn and looked like new plus I serviced it and even filled the twine box for the new owner. he was happy, I was happy and the farm bank account grew substantially too.

I'm 100% sold on selling on Tractor House. Unlike CL or Facebook marketplace, there are no 'tire kickers; or low ballers. All farmers and all serious buyers. Only downside is you pay up front (based on the listed price of what you are selling), unlike CL or Facebook Marketplace but you get the undesirable element with them. Bought my second M9 on Tractor House as well, was a JD dealer listing. Was exactly what I was looking for and now it's in the barn as well. That was a long distance (350 mile purchase too).

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #38  
I'm 100% sold on selling on Tractor House.
I'm sold too, and I always use it as an accurate pricing guide. Todate I have only been a buyer, therefore I have some stuff that is worth more than what I paid.

From Tractorhouse, I bought all 3 of my JDs - 2 I took my trailer with me and bought when I got there; one JD I bought sight-unseen. I bought a $10k loader sight-unseen. I bought a Kubota sight-unseen. All were around or below 1,000 hours.

Maybe it is because I have experience with tractors, but for the tractor the OP was considering, I would have put it in my 'very high interest' category and moved quickly to assess reality. I'm not afraid of paint chips or fading. Things like seats and tires are very visible and can be calculated, although I have a pair of front tires with no more traction than what was shown, yet I have never needed more traction than what they have. The inventory sticker to me indicates it may have been tracked and monitored for maintenance needs. If I wanted it shiny, I would have painted it. The pricing for the hours, size and emissions status (market desireability) seemed to be very reasonable.

/ Thoughts on Kubota M9000 #39  
If I wanted it shiny, I would have painted it.
Exactly what I did. Mechanically the one I bought was passable, not superior but not anything not repairable either. It looked rough, but beauty is only skin deep and if you look at my picture, it's now a beauty. hell, it's parade quality, not that "id parade it, it's for farming. Put around 5 in mechanical repairs in it, had the my dealer do that. Runs like a sewing machine, motor uses no oil which is pretty typical for the VTE Kubota engine, the have excellent ring sets from the factory, trans - no oil use either and no drips anywhere, not that Kubota's are leakers in the first place.

If you wat any mid size 75-100 pto pre 4 tractor, you'd better jump and jump soon or there won't be any to buy because a lot of people are like me and neither of mine will ever be for sale. I get a lot people saying, those are fine units, wanna sell them? I smile and walk away.

Quite candidly, if I ever read anything negative about Sandhills Company and Tractor House or any of their other platforms like Auction Time, I'd have to say whomever made a negative comment had their head up their butt. I find them to be 100% first class, very professional and very friendly. What other auction or resell site would tell you that you weren't asking enough for an item, then revise (up) the price and they were 100% right on. I get their weekly magazine, both Tractor House and Auction Time and I'm a registered bidder-buyer so I don't have to go through the hoops any more to buy or sell. My Kubota dealer also advertises with them and he's quite happy as well. I really dislike the tire kickers and low ballers that CL and Marketplace have. Don't have the patience for that.

Last edited:
In terms of moving quickly, I tried to go by the place last Saturday. They were closed and do not post their hours.

Today was the earliest I could get by there. The tractor in question was there but was sold. I didn’t even bother looking it over.

I’m not too concerned about typical wear and paint. The reason I balked on the M7040 is that literally everything on the tractor was dented or bent. Both guards in front of the steering rods were bent almost touching the rods. Brush guard was bent. Hood was dented in -behind- the brush guard. The bar between the ends of the loader arms had been cut off and replaced with what looked like a rusty pipe. One front wheel had been replaced. That machine had been abused. And yet, it still sold for around $28k.

So I’m back to putting out feelers with my farmer friends and family, checking Tractor House and with this local trader.

I am resigned to the fact that I will have to act fast and pay a ridiculous price.

I wish I could get the idea of another tractor but I am pretty convinced that if I keep working my L4400 way above what it’s designed for stuff is going to start breaking.