Tire chains on tractor tires

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
The snow we have recently accumulated was wet and about 10", so after several years escaping the need for throwing on the tire chains, yesterday was the day. Went on easy and made a world of difference as the wet snow left a layer of ice that didn't provide good traction.
Another 8-10" coming next two days, they say.

Attachments

• tractor chains.jpg
    tractor chains.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
   / Tire chains on tractor tires #2  
If your tire lands on ground in between the chain latters, you could still end up in a pickle.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires
If your tire lands on ground in between the chain latters, you could still end up in a pickle.
That doesn't happen. The next cross link doesn't so you don't just sit somewhere and spin. ;);)

/ Tire chains on tractor tires
Never been a problem in the last 25 years using these chains. Appreciate your concern tho.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #7  
I put the chains on in the Fall when it’s warm snd dry; just more comfortable. May not always need them, but then I don’t have to think or worry about if I should put them on or not when heavier snow is forecast.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #8  

Not necessarily. The tire will only spin until the next cross chain comes around and contacts the ground. 4-link chains still offer a good traction enhancement compared to a bare R4 tire. In some ways I prefer 4-link chains to 2-link chains.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #10  
I put the chains on in the Fall when it’s warm snd dry; just more comfortable. May not always need them, but then I don’t have to think or worry about if I should put them on or not when heavier snow is forecast.
I use similar ladder chains on turf tires. Leave them on well into spring as they also grip oin soft surfaces.