Tire chains on tractor tires

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #11  
Chains are such a pain to put on, I wish I could leave them on all year. They chew up the pavement, the garage floor and the lawn if I do.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #12  
I've seen 2-link and 4-link ladder style chains before. This is the first time I've ever seen 5-link chains.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires
I've seen 2-link and 4-link ladder style chains before. This is the first time I've ever seen 5-link chains.

Calling my chains 5-link chains? Didn't know that distinction between chains, but now see what you mean by 5-link. Has not presented a problem. Benefit might be they are lighter to carry and lay onto the tire, as well as pick up and hang on the wall. Win win for this old man. ;);)

Last edited:
   / Tire chains on tractor tires #14  
I had V-bar tractor chains when I had my first tractor - Ford 1700 4WD. They were exceptionally heavy and difficult to install. They had 3X the cross links as the OP has pictured.

They rode like a COB - but gave exceptional traction.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #15  
I had V-bar tractor chains when I had my first tractor - Ford 1700 4WD. They were exceptionally heavy and difficult to install. They had 3X the cross links as the OP has pictured.

They rode like a COB - but gave exceptional traction.
Those were most likely 2-link ladder style chains: the cross chains are every other link (a cross chain, a gap of one link, then another cross chain on the second link). 4-link ladder-style chains have a cross chain every fourth link (a cross chain, three empty links, then another cross chain on the fourth link). Those two set-ups are the most common for ladder style chains - mainly because the side chains "line up" better if you have an even number of links.

Attachments

• 4-Link V-bar ladder.jpg
    4-Link V-bar ladder.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 181
4-link ladder chains with V-bars (not mine)

Odd numbers put a slight twist in the side chains in order to connect the cross chain. I'm not sure this makes any difference on the life of the chain or the tire. Beenthere certainly seems happy with his 5-link ladder chains. If you don't need the extra traction of more cross links, it certainly makes them lighter.

Last edited:
   / Tire chains on tractor tires
I see chains as removing the ice/snow as the tire slips so the rest of the tire gets traction. Some think of them as riding on the ice/snow and getting traction that way. Different objectives.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #17  
I see chains as removing the ice/snow as the tire slips so the rest of the tire gets traction. Some think of them as riding on the ice/snow and getting traction that way. Different objectives.
If what you have works for your use, that's what matters.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #18  
They make a big difference on my 2wd 5105. I'd usually put them on before the first big snow and only take them off if there was an extended dry period. Now that I also have a FWA 5055, I don't bother. I believe the chains would fit this one too, but I'll probably sell them as I never need them.

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #19  
Chains are such a pain to put on, I wish I could leave them on all year. They chew up the pavement, the garage floor and the lawn if I do.

I used to think the same til I found that

/ Tire chains on tractor tires #20  

I used to think the same til I found that
It does work good for me. I even used that way on my little Kioti this year to check the fit of it's new chains. But I used the hoe to pick up the rear, set the chain behind the tire, used the V'd rope and then just rotated the tire around and it worked good that way also. The bigger tractors are a bit harder to lift up so those still get driven on. I have been impressed with the R 14 tires on the Kioti this winter on the flatter ground up around the house and the upper part of the driveway she has done good on the snow without the chains on. I have not and will not put her on the steep areas of my driveway without them on.