To CAB or NOT

/ To CAB or NOT #111  
People say all they want about I WONT PURCHASE A CAB O/S FOR
ME. Y'all can keep saying what ever about not having a cab but wait
until you get in your upper years. For me I really enjoy the cab with
a/c and heat! I have seen temps over 110 F amd as low as minus 16
below zero. I can remember when I cut fire wood I worked in a t-shirt
and the temp was 25 below zero and I didn't feel the cold now its a
different story 50 years makes a big difference!

willy

/ To CAB or NOT #112  
As you said you answered it for yourself. Get a cab machine. About the only people that dont have one are those that have open station and have never had a cab machine...especially if you have 1 tractor.

Dust, debris, insects, hot, cold, rain, wind....they all mean nothing in a cab. Open station is definitely better for getting on/off the machine a bunch, but its a willing tradeoff in my eyes. A common theme is for open station owners to tout low hanging tree branches in the forest.....but practically this just has not been an issue for me at all and I live in the forest. Yes I had an open station before my cab. At worst you just need to plan a head and trim a few branches. Where I am its pine, fir, and aspen.

/ To CAB or NOT #113  
I’m 59 years old and If I wanted a cab I’d just stay indoors. I love my outside time on the tractors, even in the winter. I can’t take the heat though, and no doubt I’d go for an air conditioned cab if I lived south of about mid PA. Only way I’d live down there would be at gun point though, especially with global warming ramping up like it is.

I’m planning on moving farther north, after I retire from my factory job in about 5 years, or maybe staying where I am, if it don’t get too much hotter by then.
IMG_3940.jpeg

/ To CAB or NOT #114  
I suspect if we plotted the cab vs. not answers by latitude, it'd look a bit like a bathtub curve, with a few outliers due to age or specific usage profiles.

I've run mine I'm Colorado and Nebraska, in my 40s with just general use. In CO, the dust from mowing and the sun make a cab favorable. In NE, the hot and cold are a bit further apart, so mowing is better with a cab. Where I lived in CO had more snow, so it was nice for that. However, the big snows there usually happen in the spring when it really isn't that cold and is nice when they clear out.

I'd probably still lean cab if I could just have one.

/ To CAB or NOT #115  
I’m 59 years old and If I wanted a cab I’d just stay indoors. I love my outside time on the tractors, even in the winter. I can’t take the heat though, and no doubt I’d go for an air conditioned cab if I lived south of about mid PA. Only way I’d live down there would be at gun point though, especially with global warming ramping up like it is.

I’m planning on moving farther north, after I retire from my factory job in about 5 years, or maybe staying where I am, if it don’t get too much hotter by then.
View attachment 857841
That looks like about 3 inches of snow there....wait till you move further north and get 3 feet! I had 40 inches of snow over 2 days last week. Cab? You bet your butt! You cant really plow that much where I am...nowhere to displace it. Has to be a blower...which means on Open Station you become a snowman.

I do like that machine you are on though! We have a Farmall H still runs great.
Come up and enjoy the cool mountain air in Colorado at 9000 ft!

/ To CAB or NOT #116  
That looks like about 3 inches of snow there....wait till you move further north and get 3 feet! I had 40 inches of snow over 2 days last week. Cab? You bet your butt! You cant really plow that much where I am...nowhere to displace it. Has to be a blower...which means on Open Station you become a snowman.

I do like that machine you are on though! We have a Farmall H still runs great.
Come up and enjoy the cool mountain air in Colorado at 9000 ft!
That was a light snowfall. This past winter was the lamest I recall here on the NW corner of NY state. The winter before we got hit with two blizzards each dumping more than 6 ft of snow.

I bought that cub because I enjoy snow plowing so much and it lets me spend more time doing it than if I used my larger tractor. I used the cub 5 times for snowfalls under 10” this winter, and my larger tractor twice when we got over a foot.

I have lots of room to stack snow around so really have no use for a blower. I can’t stand those because it seems they only work good for light fluffy snow, which we rarely get. As you said, they also suck with open station tractors, and that’s all I have ever or would ever run.

My larger loader tractor worked great on those blizzards last year, which were likely more than just about any tractor mounted blower could handle. I just scooped my way out with the loader.

IMG_2103.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
   / To CAB or NOT #117  
I bought a cabbed tractor for the same reason I gave up my convertible car. Sure, it was nice riding around with the top down in good weather, but 99% of the time, I had the top up.

/ To CAB or NOT #118  
I bought a cabbed tractor for the same reason I gave up my convertible car. Sure, it was nice riding around with the top down in good weather, but 99% of the time, I had the top up.
Yeah, but the convertible was a lot more fun now wasn’t it ? That’s what I’m talking about. My “fun” time is outside on the tractor. If the weather is horrid (which is seldom the case where I choose to live), I stay inside.

/ To CAB or NOT #119  
That was a light snowfall. This past winter was the lamest I recall here on the NW corner of NY state. The winter before we got hit with two blizzards each dumping more than 6 ft of snow.

I bought that cub because I enjoy snow plowing so much and it lets me spend more time doing it than if I used my larger tractor. I used the cub 5 times for snowfalls under 10” this winter, and my larger tractor twice when we got over a foot.

I have lots of room to stack snow around so really have no use for a blower. I can’t stand those because it seems they only work good for light fluffy snow, which we rarely get. As you said, they also suck with open station tractors, and that’s all I have ever or would ever run.

My larger loader tractor worked great on those blizzards last year, which were likely more than just about any tractor mounted blower could handle. I just scooped my way out with the loader.

View attachment 857854

Nah PTO blower on a decent HP tractor will chew threw anything. We got 4 ft of heavy wet stuff....its no problem. You just have to go a bit slower. I have a 60 HP tractor operating at 9000 ft. Where ever you choose to move, just make sure it isn't really windy in the Winter. That makes open station a real drag.

That said really glad to hear you enjoy the cold winter as much as we do up here. Keeps the people away!

/ To CAB or NOT #120  
Yeah, but the convertible was a lot more fun now wasn’t it ? That’s what I’m talking about. My “fun” time is outside on the tractor. If the weather is horrid (which is seldom the case where I choose to live), I stay inside.
That may be another distinction in this great divide. Those of us using our tractors merely for personal use, controlling our own schedule according to the weather, versus those forced to be on it in any weather.

I love being on my open station tractor in most weather, but will admit I skip days when it's pouring rain, or above 90F in blistering sun. I don't mind the cold, but add 40 mph winds to any 15F day, and I'd probably find something to do inside most of the day. Those forced to be on their machines in these conditions, not able to decide their own schedule, are going to favor a cab!