Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,262  
If you said you were in Canada, that’s pretty good that you only used what you did.
Shows what good insulation can do.
Your splits look to be about 16” so you only used one and two thirds full cord for the entire season.
Rather spectacular I’d say.
We are in north western NY state, about 40 miles southeast of the Canadian border. We have been averaging 6 face cords over the last 10 years, but we only use the wood stove when the morning temperature is supposed to be under 35 degrees F. Otherwise, it gets too hot for comfort in the house, even with the stove damper closed as far as I dare. We have two efficient natural gas furnaces in the basement,only one if which is equipped with central air.

There have been quite a few mornings this winter, when it was too warm to use the wood stove. Tonight’s looking cool though, and so is all of next week, so I’ll be lighting it up before dark.

Not only have the winters been getting milder, but we also added insulation to the attached garage, on the upwind side of our house, a few years ago. Since doing that, our central AC, which had only been able to cool the side of our 2000 sq ft L-shaped ranch that it’s on effectively, now takes care of the whole house ok, although the side with the AC always runs about 2 degrees cooler.

We set the second basement furnas on cool, even though it lacks AC, and it brings up cool air from the basement. I also run that one on “cool” in the winter, to move heat from the wood stove down there, using the fan in the furnas. The firewood usage reduction was an added bonus of that garage insulation.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,263  
We are in north western NY state, about 40 miles southeast of the Canadian border. We have been averaging 6 face cords over the last 10 years, but we only use the wood stove when the morning temperature is supposed to be under 35 degrees F. Otherwise, it gets too hot for comfort in the house, even with the stove damper closed as far as I dare. We have two efficient natural gas furnaces in the basement,only one if which is equipped with central air.

There have been quite a few mornings this winter, when it was too warm to use the wood stove. Tonight’s looking cool though, and so is all of next week, so I’ll be lighting it up before dark.

Not only have the winters been getting milder, but we also added insulation to the attached garage, on the upwind side of our house, a few years ago. Since doing that, our central AC, which had only been able to cool the side of our 2000 sq ft L-shaped ranch that it’s on effectively, now takes care of the whole house ok, although the side with the AC always runs about 2 degrees cooler.

We set the second basement furnas on cool, even though it lacks AC, and it brings up cool air from the basement. I also run that one on “cool” in the winter, to move heat from the wood stove down there, using the fan in the furnas. The firewood usage reduction was an added bonus of that garage insulation.
Ok
Now l see.
You don’t burn 24/7 mostly relying on your furnace beyond a certain temp and then supplementing w the wood stove.
My main house is a log home and very poorly insulated as a result.
l go thru about 5 full cord there and rely on the boiler for supplementary heat or opposite what you do. That stove is in the cellar.
My other house nearer the sea shore, has its wood stove in the living room. That stove uses about 3 cord per season.
But l agree that last 3 winters have been milder.
lf this keeps up, we here in the northeast will be experiencing hunts weather in the Carolina’s.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,264  
Ok
Now l see.
You don’t burn 24/7 mostly relying on your furnace beyond a certain temp and then supplementing w the wood stove.
l go thru about 5 full cord there and rely on the boiler for supplementary heat or opposite what you do. That stove is in the cellar.
My other house nearer the sea shore, has its wood stove in the living room. That stove uses about 3 cord per season.
lf this keeps up, we here in the northeast will be experiencing hunts weather in the Carolina’s.
You will have to get a pool then! ;)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,265  
Ok
Now l see.
The strange thing is that I've burned more wood this winter than since I built the place 6 years ago. Yet still have kept the temps down to a more tolerable level (<80) than before.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,266  
The strange thing is that I've burned more wood this winter than since I built the place 6 years ago. Yet still have kept the temps down to a more tolerable level (<80) than before.
Yikes!
Thats hot.
I’m happy with 68.
I think up your way was actually colder this year than further south.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,267  
You will have to get a pool then! ;)
I fell in one of those once.
Had just given blood and was holding my (at the time) 3 yr old grandson by the edge Of a ymca facility.
Got up quickly from a stooping position and passed out into the pool.
Cant swim either so it was a fun time.
Grandson couldn’t stop laughing that papa went into the pool with his clothes on.
Was rescued by the beautiful life guard who dove right in.
Almost made me want to do it again.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,268  
I fell in one of those once.
Had just given blood and was holding my (at the time) 3 yr old grandson by the edge Of a ymca facility.
Got up quickly from a stooping position and passed out into the pool.
Cant swim either so it was a fun time.
Grandson couldn’t stop laughing that papa went into the pool with his clothes on.
Was rescued by the beautiful life guard who dove right in.
Almost made me want to do it again.
I was going to say arrow, are you sure you can't swim . . . :LOL:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,270  
I didn’t get the tractor in the pictures…
But this is the wood moved and stacked today. 14 logs at 10-12 feet each.. poplar and white oak..

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpeg
    IMG_6703.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 40