trailer design

/ trailer design #1  

ktm250rider

Silver Member
I cant seem to find the trailer Im looking for. Id like a 5x10 with a load rating of 6-7000 lbs. The only ones I found in that load size are dump trailers which are out of my price range. The ones that are 5x10 are only good for 2000lbs. I got a quote for some C5x9 steel from my local supplier and the cost was a lot less than I thought. Figure, why not build one and get what I want. The question is, do I go with a single or double axle design? I can get 3500lb axles locally but a 7000lb would have to be ordered. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to going with a double axle.

/ trailer design #2  
I'm at the same crossing. 12k dump trailers are above five thousand so I am collecting parts to build one. I have the channel iron in stock for the frame which was only thirty cents a pound. The metal I can have bent up locally for two hundred. A neighbor gave me a cylinder and lift mechanism from a five yard gravel box. Still looking for the correct heavy duty axles.
I am going with two axles and a 10-12' body mostly for usage in uneven ground ( in the woods ). I want the floor heavy enough to withstand carrying rocks ( basket ball size and smaller ) as I have alot of them to move.
I think this trailer can be built for 2500 to 3000. and my specifications. Some of the trailers I have looked at seem a little lite in the steel department for my application.

/ trailer design #3  
I'v built 5 trailers still have 2 of them (always wanting some thing different) and sell them and build another.

A tandem axle will tow better hands down I wouldn't even think of a single in that weight class.

I am in the same boat contemplating a build I want somethng 16' long dump and don't need 14,000 lbs only 5' wide (BX23) so 7- 10,000 would do one local said he would build it we didn't get in to price yet but in the spring I will be talking to him again.
tom

/ trailer design #4  
What are you wanting to do with the trailer that it needs to be that heavy and yet so small??

The advantages of a tandem axle are better weight distribution and less weight on the tongue/hitch. They are just a littlemore complex to build.

But why the small trailer?? Why not go a little bigger like a car trailer. Even if you build, can you build a little bigger like a 7x18. It will no doubt have better resale if you ever decide to sell it.

Another option I would look at would be to price skid steer trailers. They are usually built heavy and smaller cause skid steers are heavy and dont take up much room. I have seen the as small as 6x12 @ the weight you want. The only problem is they usually dont ahve a flat deck. They just have runners for the wheels. But it may be cheaper for you to buy one of these and modify the deck. I have seen SS trailers arond here locally for ~800. IF you build, a pair of axles/springs/wheels/tires is goig to set you 500-600.

/ trailer design #5  
A 5x10 dump trailer sounds like an ideal size. Small enough to maneuver in the bush or garage, yet with enough weight rating to carry a decent load of dirt. (or the tractor) Those big dumps may be great if you haul firewood down the highway but I'd hate to be moving dirt from my pondsite up the trail to my house, or around some of my bush trails...

/ trailer design #6  
LD1-- I can picture a skidsteer trailer such as you describe, but never actually seen one. Is the $800 price for a used one? What are some brand names or dealerships that I can research on the web .

I have a book entitled Trailers: How to Design and Build by MM Smith that is long on theory and caution, but short on design standards. There should be some industry standards which correlate trailer dimensions, tongue length, and axle placement. Where would I find these ?

/ trailer design #7  
yes 800 is used

/ trailer design #8  
LD1-- I can picture a skidsteer trailer such as you describe, but never actually seen one. Is the $800 price for a used one? What are some brand names or dealerships that I can research on the web .

I have a book entitled Trailers: How to Design and Build by MM Smith that is long on theory and caution, but short on design standards. There should be some industry standards which correlate trailer dimensions, tongue length, and axle placement. Where would I find these ?

I got the same book a waste of money.
I check out trailer lots to come up with rough dimensions of what I want
then morph in to what I need and built it.

/ trailer design #9  
I did some research last year and saved a few items I found useful. This link is titled around Homemade Boat Trailers but much of the design aspects can be applied to building any kind of trailer.

Duckworks

This link I kept because it had decent information about wiring and connectors. It also has some links that may give you some ideas.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

And if you'd like to know about federal tie-down regs:

Cargo Securement Rules - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I thought I had more but I guess not. Hope you find something useful here. -Dave

/ trailer design
5x10 dump would be perfect, just too expensive. I figure with a 6000lb 5x10, ill have little chance of pulling to big of a load because im size limited. Things add up fast when you start piling them on one at a time.