trailer design

/ trailer design #11  
I have referred to this site many time for reference as I've planned a few different trailers...
Free Trailer Plans

The best and simplest resource from that page is this one...
UTILITY TRAILER PARTS KITS

There's also a ton of good advice and info here on TBN in the trailers and transportation forum. Any given week there are a few trailer builds going on, and the archives have a wealth of information.

/ trailer design #12  
Maybe I missed it, but is this going to be a dump trailer or not? If it is not I don't see why you need such a high load capacity.

I'm building a 5x10 utility trailer right now, 3500lb payload capacity, single axle. I'm building it like a standard utility trailer, but using heavier material and a stronger tongue. I'm also moving the axle back a little further than normal to provide more tongue weight and load capacity. I'll be using it behind my tractors for hauling posts and fire wood, and it will also be big enough to haul my B3200 in a pinch.

/ trailer design #13  
Here's a trailer I built about 10 years ago. It's a 5x10 with a 3500 lb axle. I have used it for just about everything from hauling my YM1900 down the highway to hauling rocks and cut up trees. I built it using square tubing. It won't flex from corner to corner like most will that are built out of channel or angle iron. I would recommend using square or rectangular tubing and gauge the wall thickness based on the weight you want to carry. If you are going with a 5x10 with a 7,000lb capacity, I would use tandem axles especially if you plan on dragging it around in the woods. They distribute the weight over a greater area of the frame. I've built a few other trailers and I have found especially on single axles, that it will tow best with the axle at 60 to 65% of the trailer length (not including the tongue). I also built a small 1 ton capacity jib crane that mounts on the tongue on the two channel pieces for picking up really heavy rocks and stumps. I set the outriggers and the two adjustable RV jacks and the trailer is really stable. The concrete slab you see on the rear of the trailer is 280lbs. I hauled 8 of these 75 miles down the freeway at 75mph and didn't break any of them due to the trailer not flexing. Everyone said they would be broke by the time I got home.

Attachments

• 07080026.JPG
    07080026.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 07080027.JPG
    07080027.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 3,283
  • 07080028.JPG
    07080028.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 766
   / trailer design #15  
I kinda like a trailer with a balance point and tonque long enough to pick up by hand when empty (100lbs) so that its just that much easier to connect to the truck.
When I load it, then I can increase the tonque weight by load shifting....
Long and narrow versus short and fat......
Gotta have electric brakes on both axles though...

/ trailer design #16  
I kinda like a trailer with a balance point and tonque long enough to pick up by hand when empty (100lbs) so that its just that much easier to connect to the truck.
When I load it, then I can increase the tonque weight by load shifting....
Long and narrow versus short and fat......
Gotta have electric brakes on both axles though...

The only disadvantage to that is it wont tow very well when empty.

Our car trailer weighs 2700lbs empty. (Heavy old homemade trailer with true 2" thick oak planks)

With the fold up ramps on the back which weigh 150-200lbs each, there is very little tongue weight. You dont even need the jack, it is almost perfectally balanced. When it is empty and towed this way, it is a rough ride in the truck. With either a load on or the ramps off, it tows like a dream.

@ 2700lbs, it isn't bouncing all over or weaving, but the rough ride comes from not having enough preload on the trucks suspension. When you hit a bump, you can feel the tongue try to raise, and then feel the truck pulling it back down so to speak. So its more of a "hoppy" ride.

/ trailer design #17  
It sounds like you want to build a dump trailer, where will it be used, acreage, or mostly hwy? Will it be multi purpose or just for dirt. Whether it is a single axle or dual, it has to be loaded correctly for proper handling (proper tongue weight) If you need to manouver it around alot, dual axles are a bear to move around the driveway. A single axle with a wheel on the jack is much easier. Why not go with a single 6,000 lb axle. With a 1,000 lb trailer you could put 2 yards of gravel in it. I do not have a dump trailer but I have two single axle and one double. They all run straight, but thats because I take my trailer loading seriously. Of course if you have a pickup with a 1000lb rated hitch weight you can pile everything up front, but us Compact Sport Ute drivers need to manage our hitch weight.

/ trailer design #18  
I have a 5 X 10 that came with a 2,000 lb. axle, not enough for my 2700 lb. Kubota BX25, so I simply bought a 3500 lb. axle with brakes, and swapped axles. Works great! Anybody want a slightly used 2,000 lb. axle?;)

/ trailer design #19  
I have a 5 X 10 that came with a 2,000 lb. axle, not enough for my 2700 lb. Kubota BX25, so I simply bought a 3500 lb. axle with brakes, and swapped axles. Works great! Anybody want a slightly used 2,000 lb. axle?;)

I'd be careful of putting a #3500 axle under a trailer frame that may have been designed to ride on a #2000 axle. I mean the load capacity of the frame may be exceeded. On the other hand it might have been overbuilt and is all good. It would be a bad way to find out otherwise after you loose the BX25 on a highway.

/ trailer design
Trailer use will be mostly under the weight limit. Dump runs, building supplies, dirt bikes and snowmobiles will take up about 90% of the use. Scrounging free wood on craigslist will be the other 10%. I figure if Im building it, I might as well build it to carry what ever i might end up finding. I have a 4x8 that I use as a yard trailer since its not road worthy anymore. The size is pretty good, would just like a little bigger occasionally.
Thought about using square tube. I was concerned that any water that got inside would just cause it to rust. It seems a lot of the equipment trailers Ive seen are build out of C-channel.
Think Ive settled on a 6K lb single axle for simplicity and cost.
Now I just need time and steel!